Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Ya'll are getting screwed as moderators IMO.

That wasn't at all What I was suggesting. I am part of many forums where moderators get no pay and that is in the main because it's a hobbyist-type forum. Someone established it out of love for the subject and that is where it stayed. The owner funds it all out of pocket not relying on anyone else, ads, and so on.

MacRumors has long since become more than that, it is now primarily a business. I am sure all the names listed at the bottom of the site on the left are getting a paycheque of some sort. Forums that get to that point usually compensate their mods in my experience. I have seen nothing to say that is in fact not the case here, someone just suggested it.

At the end of the day, it's nobody's business but the Mod's.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
It's $25 for the record.

If you seriously want to discuss your moderation, why don't you follow the steps outlined in post #11 so that we can see what was moderated and discuss it substantively? All this generalization and grandiosity does not make you look very serious IMO.
Excuse me, but when I go up to the top of the forum page, it says become a Macrumors supporter for $50 a year.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2022
Actually, unless something has changed recently, if someone has been a contributor already for a while, and were before the subscription/fee went up, his or her account is "grandfathered" in and they still pay the previous amount of $25.00.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Reactions: Clix Pix

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Actually, unless something has changed recently, if someone has been a contributor already for a while, and were before the subscription/fee went up, his or her account is "grandfathered" in and they still pay the previous amount of $25.00.
Correct.

Existing subscribers to the contributor tier can continue to extend using the previous pricing, but for new subscribers, the price for this tier is $50/year.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Additionally, there are multiple users in this thread voicing the same concerns yet the concerns are being dismissed like we are children instead of sincerely saying "Okay we may have a problem, as a MacRumors team we will internally review our processes, procedures and rules to ensure they are being applied fairly and equally to all posts and threads including when hateful and insensitive comments are made."

It says a lot about an organization when there is push back and continuing with the status quo instead of listening and taking feedback with genuine interest instead of censoring the feedback section that you allegedly allow people to voice their concerns in. It's all smoke and mirrors.
Yes, it’s true a few users voice the same concern. That doesn’t mean the concern is justified and it doesn’t mean the concern is not justified. Don’t know how if at all MR staff may take action, but having a few (multiple) posters out of a million voice a concern doesn’t seem to be a big enough issue. (Its true disgruntled people are more motivated to complain than non-gruntled people)

I hope the admins are continually reviewing their processes to make sure the rules are applied “fairly and equally” as you put it, across the board. But that doesn’t mean they have to moderate to your specifications.

Reactions: icanhazmac

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Ah, to police the police. To vote for your own salary.

Reminds me when the FBI was going to “sternly” look into the amount of killings they committed and be sure that they slap their selves on the wrist extra hard.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I once had a comment deleted by a moderator for some reason I could never decipher. I decided moderation was an impossible job so I just chalked it up as a mistake or misread and moved on. (It was about Covid so you know how complicated that is.)

Moderation rules are good, but there is so much subjectivity in people's intent and tone that it is never going to satisfy everyone anyone. That being said, I feel these forums are one of the best corners of the internet for quality discussion (hence why we like discussing non-Apple things here as well) so whatever they're doing, I say keep at it. And I show my appreciation with a paid membership.
It is indeed very subjective and evidently has a hierarchy of offenses. I recall quite a while ago a difference of opinion here with someone that ended with the person being rather insulting. At the end of his insult, he used the word "capisce" (sometimes having other spellings). The person was foreign and the spelling was incorrect for both English and his native tongue. I merely said - if you are going to insult me at least spell it (capisce) correctly. I got cited for correcting someone's spelling and his insult went unnoticed by the moderator. I had a bit of a chuckle as did my friends and it remains an example that it is all very subjective even with the best of intentions.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It is indeed very subjective and evidently has a hierarchy of offenses. I recall quite a while ago a difference of opinion here with someone that ended with the person being rather insulting. At the end of his insult, he used the word "capisce" (sometimes having other spellings). The person was foreign and the spelling was incorrect for both English and his native tongue. I merely said - if you are going to insult me at least spell it (capisce) correctly. I got cited for correcting someone's spelling and his insult went unnoticed by the moderator. I had a bit of a chuckle as did my friends and it remains an example that it is all very subjective even with the best of intentions.
The insult is a subjective matter. Correcting someone’s spelling is an objective issue. As I pointed out in the 3rd post - just use “Report” and get it to the mods if you think the INSULT is objectively a violation. Don’t correct their misspelling and turn it into your own OBJECTIVE violation.

Reactions: I7guy and annk

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
No.2 if your safety net for not having people discuss in public why they were moderated because of the chances that the moderation team will try to bring up past cases from many years ago as a way to embarrass and silence the member 'But look what member did 6 years ago, they did this and had to be moderated, they wrote this, can you not see how things have not changed' or words to hat effect.
You've got it backwards. We know it can be embarrassing to have your moderation history exposed in a public explanation of why you were moderated. We really, really don't like doing that - we strongly prefer to handle moderation privately for that very reason. We also feel that why a user was moderated is that user's business and no one else's.

The only reason we allow users to waive the right to privacy they have under the rules is that some users have felt quite strongly that they should be able to do so. This comes up when users get angry that they can't post about specific moderation in threads. Personally, I think waiving the right to private moderation discussions is a really bad idea. We don't like embarrassing people, but that's often what ends up happening when users waive their right to privacy.

I think it's because users just don't remember their own moderation histories. In my experience, users are often very surprised when we quote their histories to them when they ask why they for example received a suspension for a minor problem. In those cases, the user usually has already so many reminders that it was time to escalate.

First of all, every single one of the messages I have gotten from a moderator has closed immediately and there is no ability to respond. Offering in your response to use the contact form and read the FAQs is not a good out for you and the MR team, frankly its a bit condescending and completely invalidating.
I think there's something you're not aware of here. When users complain about moderation, that starts a review of that moderation. Administrators review the moderation. You can't have the same moderators who made the decision, review that decision. You need a new set of eyes.

In addition, users who complain about moderation sometimes bring up good points. Those lead to discussions among the staff. Sometimes they lead to the rules being changed or adjusted. If the complaint only exists in a PM discussion, those points get lost. When you reach out via the Contact Us form, everything is documented and it's transparent, because the whole staff can see and discuss.

So not being able to respond in exactly the way you want to (by answering the moderation message) is neither condescending nor invalidating - it's the opposite. It makes sure that your complaints are given a serious and through handling and discussion. It's how we make sure that what you write is looked at throughly and taken seriously before you receive a response.
Surprising that on such a heavily commercialized forum like this, the mods are not compensated.
I see your point. On such a large site, it would make sense to compensate moderators. On the other hand, I much prefer this model. It means that I can donate the free time I have available and choose to give to the site, which I very much enjoy. For me, it's a way to give back to a site that has given me so much help. I also really enjoy the cooperation and good tone among the mods and admins, it's fun and I enjoy them as people as well.

If there were fulltime mods, I would expect them to be paid. But as it is, we give the time we have to give and no more. For me, it's perfect.

I beg to differ.

What is wrong with praise when something has been done well? Or, thanking someone?

Or, at the very least,recognising and acknowledging the work that has been done, because, I suspect that the time commitment may be considerable for those who do it.

Moreover, in the absence of payment (because one's time is always valuable, and that should be respected), it is all too easy to assume that because one is not paid, that, therefore, one's work - and moderating this sort of forum is work - is worth nothing.

In the past, I have disagreed (sometimes profoundly) with some of the stances taken by the owner of this forum, but, at the end of the day, it is a privately owned company, and the owner has a right to choose what forum rules exist, how they should be enforced, and how it should be moderated.

The fact that this sort of discussion is allowed to take place on the forum, is, in itself, to my mind, a positive development.
I agree - why shouldn't we be able to praise those around us who donate their time? I'm often grateful when I see what people do voluntarily around me in various contexts. They choose to do so, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.

I agree but I understand their side, too.

While I appreciate the mod's work, I've noticed some of the most popular posts on this site get outright deleted. [...]

I just don't see the point in deleting posts that aren't against any rules and create engagement and responses. It seems counterintuitive to the reason of even having a forum. It seems as though if ANYONE reports a post of yours, it gets deleted.​
A post is not moderated based on how popular it is, it's moderated on the basis of the rules. Posts are ONLY moderated if they break rules (or they are just removed without it counting against them if they are responses to posts that were deleted because those posts broke rules, and no longer make sense in context).

Many reports are rejected. Your post will never be deleted simply because another user reports it - there has to be a rules violation. For instance, we often see that users report posts where they just don't agree with the content or are irritated at the user. Those aren't reasons to moderate.

There are tens of thousands of posts made daily. We can't see them all. If we don't see your post in our own browsing and if no one reports it, it doesn't get moderated, unfortunately. But that's not a reason to criticise moderation, in my opinion. That's a reason to be a team player and hit the report button if you see something you feel might be a violation. It's certainly not a reason to purposely break a rule.

It's a shame you chose to break the rules in that post.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
You've got it backwards. We know it can be embarrassing to have your moderation history exposed in a public explanation of why you were moderated. We really, really don't like doing that - we strongly prefer to handle moderation privately for that very reason. We also feel that why a user was moderated is that user's business and no one else's.

The only reason we allow users to waive the right to privacy they have under the rules is that some users have felt quite strongly that they should be able to do so. This comes up when users get angry that they can't post about specific moderation in threads. Personally, I think waiving the right to private moderation discussions is a really bad idea. We don't like embarrassing people, but that's often what ends up happening when users waive their right to privacy.

I think it's because users just don't remember their own moderation histories. In my experience, users are often very surprised when we quote their histories to them when they ask why they for example received a suspension for a minor problem. In those cases, the user usually has already so many reminders that it was time to escalate.
The part in bold has just proven my point that you will use a members past moderation history against them 'when we quote their histories to them' which has the potential to cause embarrassment if they waived their right to privacy to argue their case in a public forum and then you decide to 'quote their histories to them'. You have quoted members past history to them when in private BUT there is nothing in the rules that state you will not do so when done in public. THIS is why the huge majority of members will not waive their right to privacy when discussing moderating action because they know you will quote their moderating history in public to use it against them.

Make a ruling that you will not publicly publish or quote a members past moderation history if they waive their right to privacy so they can discuss their 'current' case in a public manner.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
@annk as a contributing member here for 15 years+ that appreciates these forums to death, I think it's wrong to just deny all wrongdoing and say posts will *never* get deleted without a rules violation when I've seen posts, mine and others, be deleted that didn't break any specific rules. When I've asked in the past what rules some of my posts broke, I get no response. About a year ago it got so bad I made a thread here on the situation and *that* thread got deleted.

But I'm willing to put up with it because the benefits outweigh the cons. My point is I would avoid using the words never, always, etc. because moderators are just as flawed and biased as any other human on earth. Like I said, I appreciate the mods as they are volunteers but I'm certainly not going to let them influence how I post. The day I get banned is the day I learn MacRumors isn't for me anymore and I would hate for that to happen.

Beyo

macrumors member
May 29, 2017
Poznań
the most authoritarian page is Reddit where moderators are paid to prevent discussion. Lack of moderation is better than moderation presented here on MR.

This is amazing that this page still exists - because it feeds on rumors it’s no better than “The Sun”. And even more fascinating ,most people here are generally anti Apple. Why you not sit on AndroidRumors?

Contacting their sponsors is very good idea. Owners of big portals tends to not listen to their audience because it’s not where their money come from :(

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The insult is a subjective matter. Correcting someone’s spelling is an objective issue. As I pointed out in the 3rd post - just use “Report” and get it to the mods if you think the INSULT is objectively a violation. Don’t correct their misspelling and turn it into your own OBJECTIVE violation.
Saying - 'If you are going to insult me at least spell it correctly' is no worse than an offending comment. This is beyond silly. Candidly, as stated, it raised some chortles among my friends.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The part in bold has just proven my point that you will use a members past moderation history against them
Maybe I’m missing a point, but if a member wants to publicly discuss their moderation, then the staff should also be free to post why they did what they did, i.e., reveal the prior violations that led up to the action (if there were any).

You can't have it both ways, wanting the freedom to discuss the moderation but not let the staff publicly discuss your violations.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I read a post which is not exactly grammatically correct or there are misspellings or perhaps a word or two has been left out which would normally be part of the flow and carry a sentence through to completion, it catches my attention. Occasionally I re-read the post, this time fully getting the gist and meaning of it, and move on. Communication has been achieved, even if not perfectly. Once in a while I remind myself that, hey, we all make typos, but beyond that, I sure would not not fare well in trying to write my thoughts and ideas on a forum which is primarily in a language which is not my first, right-from-birth one!

Yes, people publicly correcting others' misspellings, grammatical errors and usage of the English language is quite rude and is wholly unnecessary, especially when the meaning of whatever the post is about gets through anyway.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Tripping the overweight kid at recess or hiding the near-sighted girl’s glasses also raises chortles among friends. That shouldn’t be done either.
Truly a poor analogy. However, it is sad you get so wound up when it was not you being insulted and having someone make light of the insult rather than respond with an insult or an attack. As for the moderator, the humour was based on which was considered worse - rude and insulting or someone joking about the spelling of a word within the insult. Are you really this fixated on the topic?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Truly a poor analogy. However, it is sad you get so wound up when it was not you being insulted and having someone make light of the insult rather than respond with an insult or an attack. As for the moderator, the humour was based on which was considered worse - rude and insulting or someone joking about the spelling of a word within the insult. Are you really this fixated on the topic?
A post reported as “Rude and insulting” doesn’t always mean the reported post will be removed. And even if that is the subjective way that post lands on you, calling the poster out like that shouldn’t get your post removed. What the trigger really is - is spelling and grammatical corrections.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The part in bold has just proven my point that you will use a members past moderation history against them 'when we quote their histories to them' which has the potential to cause embarrassment if they waived their right to privacy to argue their case in a public forum and then you decide to 'quote their histories to them'. You have quoted members past history to them when in private BUT there is nothing in the rules that state you will not do so when done in public. THIS is why the huge majority of members will not waive their right to privacy when discussing moderating action because they know you will quote their moderating history in public to use it against them.

Make a ruling that you will not publicly publish or quote a members past moderation history if they waive their right to privacy so they can discuss their 'current' case in a public manner.
When a MR member waives their right to privacy to discuss an event, past history could be highly relevant. Especially if the MR member is using this forum to try and expose what they feel is inconsistent or poor moderation.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
A post reported as “Rude and insulting” doesn’t always mean the reported post will be removed. And even if that is the subjective way that post lands on you, calling the poster out like that shouldn’t get your post removed. What the trigger really is - is spelling and grammatical corrections.
I appreciate what you are saying. The context of the "correction" was about the insult and making light of it. Like I said, this is all subjective and at the time was amusing.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota

I'm of the opinion that insults and arguing about the spelling of said insults simply doesn't have a place here. It's annoying and bush league. Any private business that had two customers doing the same would kick you out.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I'm of the opinion that insults and arguing about the spelling of said insults simply doesn't have a place here. It's annoying and bush league. Any private business that had two customers doing the same would kick you out.
TSE - any private business? - You speak for everyone now? Interesting. Nuance is lost here.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Publicly highlighting a members spelling mistake(s) and/or grammatical error(s) and then to have their mistakes quoted in a post reply saying 'here, I corrected it for you' or words to that effect, should be frowned upon and a bannable offence because it's purpose in doing so is to explicitly embarrass the member for their errors. The rule of thumb should be that if a mistake/error is spotted then the person seeing the error should have the decency to leave the poster a private message explaining to them they have made a mistake which then allows the member time to rectify their mistake/error. If a moderator see's these type of public displays of highlighting other members mistakes/errors then the moderator should either edit the post or remove it, they should not have to wait for the post to be reported.

Reactions: TSE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.