Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
ive been on the public beta since beta 3 and the Automatic app updates from the app store are not working, i have to go into the app store on my iphone 6s and manually update all the apps, can someone please help? automatic updates worked perfectly on iOs 9.

im now on ios 10 GM but the automatic app updates are still not working

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
ive been on the public beta since beta 3 and the Automatic app updates from the app store are not working, i have to go into the app store on my iphone 6s and manually update all the apps, can someone please help? automatic updates worked perfectly on iOs 9.

im now on ios 10 GM but the automatic app updates are still not working
Same thing here. Haven't worked in a while.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Also when i 3D touch the appstore icon i don't get the update apps option... Only search, redeem, or purchased...

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I'm not sure mine is automatically updating in the background.. the updates seem to happen immediately after I unlock my phone though, without going into the app store

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Working for anyone else yet?

Mine seems to have stopped working too

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
Working for anyone else yet?

Mine seems to have stopped working too

Looks like its working for me. As soon as I unlocked and went to my home screen about an hr ago a couple of my apps began to update automatically. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Edit: have you tried restarting? I restarted my phone yesterday but I'm not sure if that made any difference.

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Looks like its working for me. As soon as I unlocked and went to my home screen about an hr ago a couple of my apps began to update automatically. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Edit: have you tried restarting? I restarted my phone yesterday but I'm not sure if that made any difference.

I had that same behaviour, unlocking and the apps would update, but since then I've got 5 updates pending

I'll try restart

edit: Restart didn't work, have 11 pending updates now

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

John_JD_Doe

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Same thing

I have 2 apps that needs and update in the App Store list, in my iPhone and in my iPad. I've been waiting a lot and still in the list. Any way to fix this? The setting is On in iTunes & App Store.

richardc1983

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Leeds, UK
This has never worked throughout IOS9 either! Even though I have them set to on in the settings along with "use mobile date" I have to go into the app store and then to updates to see new updates, at that point it will then start to update them.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
This has never worked throughout IOS9 either! Even though I have them set to on in the settings along with "use mobile date" I have to go into the app store and then to updates to see new updates, at that point it will then start to update them.

Automatic app updates always worked me for on iOS9 up until the moment i updated to iOS 10,
i have to manually update my app store apps which is something that should be automatic since i have automatic app updates enabled

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
I remember in iOS 9 automatic app updates for me would only occur when I had my phone plugged in and charging. Haven't tested it out yet with iOS 10.

Last edited:

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I had to manually update the 11 pending as after 2 days it still hadn't automatically updated them

ChrisN718

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2013
Flushing, NY
I just plugged in my iPhone 6 to charge and after allowing 5 min to pass I went to unlock my device and that's when all of my apps began to update automatically. Seems as though on this version of iOS 10 the device needs to be on the home screen for the updates to begin downloading. I hope they fix this and make it the same as it was on iOS 9.

Last edited:

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
Setup a new iPhone 7+ from scratch, automatic updates still don't work

Wonder if its an issue with the apple id

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
This has been hit-or-miss for me for since iOS9 as well - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I tried logging a call with apple support but they kept wanting me to do things I've already done, e.g. reset network settings, reset all settings

I'm not sure what part of DFU restore and starting from scratch they don't understand, but oh well

monchote

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Automatic app updates are still not working for me. Does anybody know whether this is fixed in 10.1?

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
They work on my iPad Air 2 iOS 10.0.2. Only difference I've seen is this thread is I never installed the beta. Hope that helps.

georgewill76

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
I am also having the same problem with apps not automatically updating. I have to manually go into the app store and check for updates then a whole bunch come up. Even when I leave the app store hoping the apps will automatically update nothing happens. I have to manually update all. I am on ios 10.1.1 and still have the same problem. Even restored phone and started from scratch but that hasn't helped.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Just wanted to add that since owning an iPhone 6S Plus for a year and now an iPad for a month, I've never had an automatic update. :/

Reactions: dmrowley

desertman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
Arizona, USA
My iPhone and my iPad (both with iOS 10.3.2) stopped automatically updating apps several weeks ago. Both devices accumulate a number of "Pending Updates," but the updates only happen when I trigger them manually. On both devices "Updates" are switched on in Settings - iTunes & App Store. Both devices are most of the time connected to my home wi-fi net (the iPad always).

Is there anybody here who had this or heard about this, too, and knows how to fix this? Thanks.

Reactions: Darrensk8

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Automatic updates seem to either happen in a very long interval, or never happens for me too.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Do you switch battery saver mode on? On my iPhone, it won't auto update if the battery saver mode is on, even when charging. Switch it off and it starts updating normally.

Reactions: Livingspring
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.