Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I have this pop up every few months on one of my iPads. I don't know the cause, but I can reboot the iPad and it will go back to working for while, sometimes as long as 2 or 3 months, but this issue always comes back. So I probably can't help you long term, but if you haven't tried turning the devices off and back on, it might temporarily get automatic updates working.

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Is anyone still having this issue?

I'm having problem on my iPad as well as my phone. I've done the usual re set all settings, restore etc but no luck.
[doublepost=1496482693][/doublepost]
I am also having the same problem with apps not automatically updating. I have to manually go into the app store and check for updates then a whole bunch come up. Even when I leave the app store hoping the apps will automatically update nothing happens. I have to manually update all. I am on ios 10.1.1 and still have the same problem. Even restored phone and started from scratch but that hasn't helped.
George did you get this sorted? I really don't want to set up from new. Especially if it dosnt make any difference!

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Remember to plug it to charger all night,then it might solve some of your problem.
I've spoken to support about this and they say it doesn't need to be plugged in to trigger the updates.
[doublepost=1496482987][/doublepost]
My iPhone and my iPad (both with iOS 10.3.2) stopped automatically updating apps several weeks ago. Both devices accumulate a number of "Pending Updates," but the updates only happen when I trigger them manually. On both devices "Updates" are switched on in Settings - iTunes & App Store. Both devices are most of the time connected to my home wi-fi net (the iPad always).

Is there anybody here who had this or heard about this, too, and knows how to fix this? Thanks.
I'm having the exact same problem. On both devices. Also running 10.3.2.
I did a restore on my iPad to see if it would work. It hasn't. I really don't want to set up as new device.....especially if it seems to still be a problem for other people.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I've spoken to support about this and they say it doesn't need to be plugged in to trigger the updates.
[doublepost=1496482987][/doublepost]
I'm having the exact same problem. On both devices. Also running 10.3.2.
I did a restore on my iPad to see if it would work. It hasn't. I really don't want to set up as new device.....especially if it seems to still be a problem for other people.
Of course it works when not connected to charger too,but then it has to be almost fully charged.

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
My updates haven't worked reliably on either my 6s or 7 plus since iOS 9. On the current iOS, things aren't any better. It will work, occasionally, but usually I'll let it get up to about 20-25 updates and then just do a manual update.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
My updates haven't worked reliably on either my 6s or 7 plus since iOS 9. On the current iOS, things aren't any better. It will work, occasionally, but usually I'll let it get up to about 20-25 updates and then just do a manual update.
It's so frustrating....as usual the auto response from support is delete your backup and start again

I can only hope it's an issue they're aware of and will fix in 11

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Automatic App Update doesn't work for me neither. Maybe it did some time, but it definitely doesn't anymore.

:(

sazun

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2017
Not working for a long time. Tried periodically to make it work and failed. Today it worked and two ipads are automatically updating. The only new thing I tried was to delete some apps in the wishlist, combined with signing out and in of iTunes Store and posibly some of the other usual recomendations.

I never saw the wishlist thing mentioned, so just in case it works for some of you...

Darrensk8

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Not working for a long time. Tried periodically to make it work and failed. Today it worked and two ipads are automatically updating. The only new thing I tried was to delete some apps in the wishlist, combined with signing out and in of iTunes Store and posibly some of the other usual recomendations.

I never saw the wishlist thing mentioned, so just in case it works for some of you...
Interesting. I don't think I've got anything in the wish list but worth a try. Thanks

The amount of times I've signed in and out of iCloud :(Each time I keep my fingers crossed it will magically start working.

Last edited:

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
Auto update has not worked for me for a long time, not whilst I have been testing IOS11, and not even after the official update a few days ago. So today I set forth to figure out what was wrong - with Apples ****up on iTunes 12.7, I need to have auto update working. We have 10 IOS devices, and I cannot be keeping taps on what is updated and what is not.

So, I restarted the devices, and checked that the settings were correct (App updates via WiFi only), and it didn't work. I plugged it in, and it didn't work. But, when I plugged it in, and unlocked the device, bingo, it worked. On all devices...

So, to start of the update sequence, unlock device and plug in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.