Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for the update. So it seems it is simply a software bug that can not be influenced at all.
Guess we simply have to wait for a fix. This could be forever.

mat_s

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
I for example noticed that when I using my Watch (only GPS) with my phone paired then the accuracy is lower than when I use only Watch (BT disconnected on phone). Is there any reason why this is happening?

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Hi chaps,

I recently bought another AW S5 with cellular. My experience using it for running has been great thanks to Stryd and their AW app.

GPS accuracy, however, has been even worse than that of my Fenix 6X Pro Solar.

I did a small test today: knowing that WorkOutdoors has an actual GPS fix indicator, I decided to get a good fix by waiting for a few minutes with the app open.

I then minimised it, opened Stryd and hit start (while streaming Apple Music); The result? An actually reasonable GPS track recorded by my watch:

https://strava.app.link/xqBCWKJAG5

Let me know your thoughts!

Attachments

• 1586893853531.png
    1586893853531.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 134

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
I did a lot of tests and always waited for proper GPS fix with WOD but in the end, the glitches appeared anyhow. Not always though and not really repeatable. The glitches are typically not close to the start so the watch should have had good GPS reception in the meantime.

Reactions: NickYanakiev

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Upping this thread so that it is clear that the problem is not fixed. AT ALL.

Am currently providing information Apple about the problem, maybe it will be fixed. Found several other folks with the same issue (mostly German Facebook group). Also, same problem is reported for iPhone 11.

Just to show what the current status is, did today a run with LTE/cellular enabled. Blue is run from yesterday (no LTE), yellow today (with LTE). Disgusting.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-04 um 15.47.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-04 um 15.46.46.png

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
The problem is far from fixed. GPS performance is only acceptable once I ensure that I have a good lock by using Workoutdoors and its signal strength indicator first and only using the Stryd app once done.

However, I find that the GPS does an OK job once a sufficiently stable GPS lock is achieved. At any rate, use the AWS5 as a safety and streaming device only.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
Never tried running with LTE switched off. Works pretty well, provided that you make sure you have a good lock via Workoutdoors.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Not in my case. Waiting for a good lock with WOD does not help. Could well be a problem with the network provider also.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
The error you get is huge, it's more than 2-3%.
You should try to reset calibration settings and run in open sky area to try recalibrate
Maybe it can help ...

I was rereading this thread and saw this. I’m going to try this. All of the times I’ve reset my calibration settings and then did the next activity, it’s been on my treadmill in the basement of my house. Curious to see if it affects it. I run a lot of the same routes so I’ll be able to compare.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
If you calibrate it on treadmill, it can't be accurate.
That's probably why your watch is so inaccurate.
The watch needs a normal outdoor run to calibrate with GPS and pedometer
[automerge]1591681549[/automerge]
Upping this thread so that it is clear that the problem is not fixed. AT ALL.

Am currently providing information Apple about the problem, maybe it will be fixed. Found several other folks with the same issue (mostly German Facebook group). Also, same problem is reported for iPhone 11.

Just to show what the current status is, did today a run with LTE/cellular enabled. Blue is run from yesterday (no LTE), yellow today (with LTE). Disgusting.

View attachment 921510

View attachment 921511
It's really a very bad track, but I am not sure it has an impact on the distance measured by the watch.
Most of distance calculation are done by pedometer, so maybe this ugly tracking is not a very big issue ...
If you check the distance with the 2 tracks, do you have similar values ?

99% of my GPS maps are good with LTE ON, I only have some problems in very difficult area (bad GPS and/or LTE reception).
Do you have some news from Apple ?

Last edited:

ukbootlegs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
My watch has been replaced, but it's still the same with the new one.
The distance calculated by the watch is over estimated and I am very dissapointed.
Running activity is most important for me in a smartwatch...
Is it an LTE issue ? a watchOS6 issue ?
I’m having this very issue

even after setting up as a new watch
[automerge]1591696560[/automerge]
I was rereading this thread and saw this. I’m going to try this. All of the times I’ve reset my calibration settings and then did the next activity, it’s been on my treadmill in the basement of my house. Curious to see if it affects it. I run a lot of the same routes so I’ll be able to compare.
makes no difference

ive recalibrated twice and even setup as a new watch.
[automerge]1591696838[/automerge]
I don’t know.
It seems very few people run with aw LTE...
Or most people are casual runners who don’t care about accuracy
I find the gps route to be accurate but the splits wrong

i have cellular aw5 my wife has non cellular. we will start off accurate together, hitting 1k at the same time, then apparently I drift further ahead. Even managing to walk 1k apparently in 8:45

todays 10k run has these splits, which is incorrect, as I can’t run 1k in 3:19

Attachments

• 75C973BA-8F95-42C5-812E-EEC0DD2DF7B3.jpeg
    75C973BA-8F95-42C5-812E-EEC0DD2DF7B3.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
A guy in German AW forum posted the same problems with LTE enabled and got his AW5 replaced. Feedback was that his first runs were ok. Asked if it is still the case I got no answer.

Anyone tried watchOS 7 beta with LTE enabled?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
It’s difficult to be sure about a solution.
95% of my runs are perfectly fine with LTE on.
5% show some glitches in « difficult « areas.
My Watch has been replaced in september without improvements
Maybe they have fixed something on last devices.
Have you asked apple again ?

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
No, thought about replacing mine too, but see no reason at the moment as this would be some kind of hassle. If it would be possible to go in an Apple store and exchange directly, then maybe. Guess it is more difficult though.

My last three runs with LTE enabled were actually pretty good, only one glitch per run. But in the end, I do not care too much as all my runs are with Stryd and therefore pace and distance are perfect.

I am speculating that either watchOS7 or AW6 will fix the issue.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I will try to call Apple again and check if they have some news...
But I am pessimistic...

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Every reason to be pessimistic. After I uploaded a lot of data to my issue report on Apple feedback, nothing happened. Crickets.

jared_herx

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2020
Yikes! I did so much research on this prior to buying the watch - as to its appropriateness for running without an iPhone and tracking distance and this never came up. This discussion is highly valuable and the only place I've found online yet reporting this problem.

It is unreal how awful the GPS/location is with cellular on. This from an AW Series 5 Nike w/ Cellular and GPS (Verizon Wireless in the US if that is of any interest). I've tried the crown reversal, ensuring GPS lock before leaving, and shutting off wifi - none of it helpful. Sometimes the distance is fine, but just ran "6.13 mi" yesterday that in truth was < 6 miles. Pace off by 20-30 seconds/mile and the distance obviously was off. The "gold standard" distance is a combination of recording from a prior run on the same route as my iPhone (which in multiple races has been within <1%) and using gmaps-pedometer or some variation. So frustrating!

I have yet to try without cellular. I looked back at all of my old runs with my iPhone (Xr) and the maps from those runs - I could NOT find a single run where the GPS zig-zagged or looked strange. Honestly, it seemed to even accurately pick up when I could cross streets and show which sidewalk I was on. In contrast, the watch has me cutting corners when I turn and repeatedly crossing streets into houses. I think what is surprising to me is that even if the GPS/location tracking is so bad, how is there not an algorithm to correct the behavior that the watch thinks you have? It's not even possible to so quickly move between locations on foot.

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Yes, annoying. Did a run yesterday with LTE enabled as my favorite podcast was not available offline and I had to stream it.
Well, track was almost good except for one monster glitch where I first did a 360 degree dance and then was off the track for about 100m until it found back to my real running path about half a kilometer later.

Without a Stryd I would give the watch back as this is not acceptable for tracking.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
You can also have the same glitches when running with your watch+iPhone .
In this case location services are done by the phone and you get the same problems.
I think GPS service is low priority vs LTE and apple boosts LTE signal when reception is bad and it has a negative influence on GPS (power management, electromagnic perturbaction ?...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.