Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I don't have big expectations, and I am afraid that it won't solve the issue.
But sometimes, it's better to restart from scratch

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Yes, good that you try this out. For me it would be too much effort and trouble. I wait for your results ;-)

NME42

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2019
Earliest after five runs without glitches I would start to think that one can believe the problem is fixed.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
i do not believe at all that setting up the phone and watch as new will fix this for all others.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
It’s quite good.
Just one small hiccup today but not really annoying. No real impact on the overall distance.
I was streaming podcasts through LTE and browsing my watch when it occurred.

Reactions: NME42

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I did a 10K race yesterday - I’ve previously posted about my frustration with the AW4 accuracy I had at a recent 9 miler - and although this time I turned off LTE, didn’t run with my phone, AGAIN my watch measured long. Not quite as long as last time but a full tenth of a mile longer than anyone else who uploaded the same race to Strava (mine said 6.33, the next longest track said 6.23). I’m really frustrated. I love my Apple Watch but I race frequently and it’s GOT to be accurate.

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
Who guaranties that the other ones are more accurate? Obviously AW tends to calculate slightly more distance than other brands. GPS never is 100 %, there is always a algorithm in the background. For ME it is good enough, but if you get so upset about, get another one, Apple will not change anything.

Reactions: millerj123

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
Who guaranties that the other ones are more accurate? Obviously AW tends to calculate slightly more distance than other brands. GPS never is 100 %, there is always a algorithm in the background. For ME it is good enough, but if you get so upset about, get another one, Apple will not change anything.

thanks for this totally unhelpful reply. I bought this watch to do many useful and helpful things with the expectation that the GPS it promises will work. If you read my past post about the 9 mile race, it was a USATF certified and wheel measured course. When people run the same race and upload to Strava it shows their distance and their watch. There was a good representative sampling. My watch measure 9.27 miles - totally unacceptable and safe to say it’s NOT accurate. Thanks for playing.

diba

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2019
If it does not fit your needs and expectations - just buy something else - this was my message. If you are pissed, no need to reply in this style ....

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
GPS error margin is usually around 2-3%.
So for a 10km race, you can get between 10.3 and 9.7 and stay in the margin.
Usually, the apple watch is optimistic, so you get 10.2 for a 10km race.
But absolutely no GPS watch can promise you to be completely accurate.
I have lot of friends who use Garmin, Suunto or Polar watches and get similar results, in the error margin.
A GPS is not an high precision tool.
A very useful feature could help us: a button in WOD you can touch when you reach the 1-2-3...km mark on the race that can evaluate a new estimated pace.
I think it's feasible, but we have to ask cfc ...

mat_s

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
I've read your previous posts and I need to ask, did this calibration reset helped? I have AW4 GPS and noticed that distance is way of this error 2-3%. On 4km distance (around the track, 400m one lap) it shows 4,20-4,30km. First lap is fine, 400m but then it starts getting longer and longer.
Do you think calibration restet would help or this is just for no GPS tracking activities?

I need to add that I don't run with my phone, I left it in a car. Use only AirPods while running and I didn't turn off any settings.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
The error you get is huge, it's more than 2-3%.
You should try to reset calibration settings and run in open sky area to try recalibrate
Maybe it can help ...

mat_s

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
I just read few information about rotating my watch - now I am wearing it on my left hand, crown on the right side. Someone suggest there that rotating it - that the crown is on the left side are suppoused to help finding better GPS reception. What do you think?
Either way - I need to use next few days to try it out.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
I think you shouldn't have to do that to make it work properly.
Try to reset the calibration data to check if it helps

Reactions: mat_s

mat_s

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2020
Do I need to run with my phone paired to my watch or I can do it only with watch?
Maybe if I would bring my phone with me the new data from GPS will be more accurate?

rbart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 3, 2013
France
It’s still the same.
OK most of the time but I can have some glitches when using LTE for streaming music in places where GPS reception is not easy.
so ... no enhancement ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.