Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
The 8 is garbage. I went from the 6+ and skipped every every grade till the X. None of those were even worth a single dime of an upgrade. However, the X is.
Same with me. Skipped every iPhone because they all looked the same. Then the X came, and I knew it was time to upgrade!

Reactions: haruhiko

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Same with me. Skipped every iPhone because they all looked the same. Then the X came, and I knew it was time to upgrade!

My first was the 6, upgraded to the 6S Plus and had that up until extremely recently getting this X. Very happy and will be even happier when more apps support the display. No going back for me. I’ll go Android before I go back.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
iPhone X is for those who appreciate the change, it's an all new experience form edge to edge display to Face-ID. The swipe gesture's are much easier and unique. The OLED display is best in the market. It's the best iPhone i have ever owned.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 8 is garbage. I went from the 6+ and skipped every every grade till the X. None of those were even worth a single dime of an upgrade. However, the X is.

Yes the iPhone X is a great phone, but let's not over exaggerate with hyperbole saying that iPhone 8 is "Garbage". Apple created the iPhone 8 because they knowingly understand that the iPhone X is not going to be in everybody's price range. It's better to have more options than not.

Not to mention, as much as I appreciate Face ID, touch ID is still preferred by many, which the iPhone 8 includes. Also, the iPhone 8 is the most refined iPhone over the four generations between the iPhone 6/6S/7/8.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I can understand that. It's new experience with the X. I love the looks of it and the direction Apple is going with the phone. I have an iPhone 7 Plus and I'm going to probably upgrade to the 8 Plus because I love Touch ID and the larger actual screen size of the Plus phones. Plus all internals are the same as the X so no loss there. And let's all be honest, the iPhone 8 Plus LCD display is no slouch. In fact, it's a fantastic display compared to any other device.

Ides of March

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
Where the bullet comes....
My iPhone X is still in the box I wish I had never got it. My Wife talked me into getting the iPhone X and I really wanted iPhone 8 Plus. I’m not even excited about even thinking about opening the Shipping box. The damn thing still sits on the kitchen counter. I’ve learned a lesson go with your own feelings not what somebody else thinks.

I didn’t want a phone that has face recognition. As far as I’m concerned the phone can stay in the shipping box

I'm confused. So your not gonna have a phone at all? By the way I'm with you I wish I would have gotten the 8 Plus too. The X is too small for me. I came from a 6 plus which I wish I still had. Too late now though.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
My iPhone X is still in the box I wish I had never got it. My Wife talked me into getting the iPhone X and I really wanted iPhone 8 Plus. I’m not even excited about even thinking about opening the Shipping box. The damn thing still sits on the kitchen counter. I’ve learned a lesson go with your own feelings not what somebody else thinks.

I didn’t want a phone that has face recognition. As far as I’m concerned the phone can stay in the shipping box

Why not give the X a try and return it if your apprehensions are confirmed?

For me, Face ID turned out to be way better than I expected and an actual improvement to Touch ID for authentication and Apple Pay, the larger 8 Plus screen size in the space of an 8 is very useful and easier to manipulate one-handed, the screen is gorgeous, the home button now feels odd compared to the new gesture-based interface, and finally, the X’s substantial feel is great.

The 8 and 8 Plus are great phones, but net-net: I find the X to be a superior new iPhone experience.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin

Ok just set the phone up with no security. Problem solved. Just slide up to unlock. The X is way better then the 8 plus

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I tried this the other day when I was thinking of returning the X. I had it in my mind that the benefits of the X weren’t worth the money.

Boy was I wrong. Needless to say the 8 is back in the box in the closet.

I was running my 7 and X side by side last night. I can tell you the reasons I want to return the X. I am just not sure I actually will do it...

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Ok just set the phone up with no security. Problem solved. Just slide up to unlock. The X is way better then the 8 plus
Only in a few ways. Face ID, front camera Portait Mode and rear wide angle camera OIS, and OLED display. It isn’t superior in really any other way. People act like the 8 Plus is an iPhone 6 Plus. There many more advantages moving from an iPhone 7 Plus to an 8 Plus than the X vs the 8 Plus. I’m glad Apple has a choice of devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.