Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
You say it fully admitting that you'll be buying one next year. Not sure who you think you're getting over on, but it's not us, or Apple.
He's tight, can't afford it so his mum told him to hand it back and save the money up.

Reactions: DNichter

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Could never go back to a phone with bezels that big. I tried it briefly just the other day. Super jarring. Face ID is also amazing compared to Touch ID.

Sorry, Android fanboy, you won't out fanboy Apple fanboys on Macrumors. :)

Reactions: ssl0408

Detonation

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
iPhone X is for those who appreciate the change, it's an all new experience form edge to edge display to Face-ID. The swipe gesture's are much easier and unique. The OLED display is best in the market. It's the best iPhone i have ever owned.

New doesn't necessarily mean better though. For the most part everything is better, but I reluctantly returned my X - I loved the screen, form factor, and gestures (once I got used to swiping back an app instead of using the slow swipe and hold for recents), but Face ID just didn't fit into my usage patterns, and IMO is still less convenient than touch ID. I realize this is the future direction for the phone so I'm probably going to have to deal with it eventually, but I can hope that in the future there are improvements (or that they bring back Touch ID as well, wishful thinking).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
New doesn't necessarily mean better though. For the most part everything is better, but I reluctantly returned my X - I loved the screen, form factor, and gestures (once I got used to swiping back an app instead of using the slow swipe and hold for recents), but Face ID just didn't fit into my usage patterns, and IMO is still less convenient than touch ID. I realize this is the future direction for the phone so I'm probably going to have to deal with it eventually, but I can hope that in the future there are improvements (or that they bring back Touch ID as well, wishful thinking).

What @KONVICTED was Saying is the best OLED display is the Display currently offered and the best iPhone They personally owned, but not necessarily saying the iPhone X is the best iPhone for everyone Else.

As far as Touch ID returning, highly unlikely being Face ID is Apples intended future as they have mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: KONVICTED

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Each time I glance at my wife's 7, I comment to myself how huge the bezels are. Granted, I have an SE as a backup to my X, but I certainly would not want to go back to a phone with huge bezels full time.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yes the iPhone X is a great phone, but let's not over exaggerate with hyperbole saying that iPhone 8 is "Garbage". Apple created the iPhone 8 because they knowingly understand that the iPhone X is not going to be in everybody's price range. It's better to have more options than not.

Not to mention, as much as I appreciate Face ID, touch ID is still preferred by many, which the iPhone 8 includes. Also, the iPhone 8 is the most refined iPhone over the four generations between the iPhone 6/6S/7/8.

I didn’t return my X because of price. I returned it coming from a 7 because believe it or not I couldn’t use the X comfortably and securely with 1 thumb / hand in cases similar to the Magpul which make it yuge. It felt like I was navigating a Plus.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Fantastic to see people dumping on the iPhones before the X like they're now worthless.

It’s a ‘I’m higher up on the food chain’ mentality. A fashion thing. Believe me this is true for most of the people here. Cause a true Apple user who knows Apple and has used their products for some time. would say otherwise. In fact the iPhone 8 is the culmination of a perfected device from past generations, rock solid and consistent.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
Fantastic to see people dumping on the iPhones before the X like they're now worthless.

Right. Many aspects of the 8 and X I have to believe were developed in concert with each other. The 8 might be an "older" phone appearance wise but certainly not performance wise.

Reactions: Earth45

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Right. Many aspects of the 8 and X I have to believe were developed in concert with each other. The 8 might be an "older" phone appearance wise but certainly not performance wise.

The way I describe my 8 is ‘it’s just another iPhone yet it’s so GOOD’.

Reactions: Earth45

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
Returning the X for an 8 Plus because the oled gives me headaches.
Really love the form factor of the X, so hope the rumors of an IPS version next year are true.

Face Id was alright for me, but seemed like v1 TouchId: slightly slow, and have never had to type my passcode as much as in the last 4 weeks :)

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Returning the X for an 8 Plus because the oled gives me headaches.
Really love the form factor of the X, so hope the rumors of an IPS version next year are true.

Face Id was alright for me, but seemed like v1 TouchId: slightly slow, and have never had to type my passcode as much as in the last 4 weeks :)

Apple perfected the LCD screen. Having had the X for 2 weeks the screen was awesome but the 7/8 screen is no slouch.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Apple perfected the LCD screen. Having had the X for 2 weeks the screen was awesome but the 7/8 screen is no slouch.

I was running my iPhone 7 alongside my iPhone X last night to get a feel for the display differences. I have to say that as good as Apple's LCD displays are (and they really are great), the X was a better visual experience. Actually, the soundtrack for the video was better sounding on the X, too. I'm not convinced it's worth the cost of the upgrade, but the X is really beautiful to look at and to listen to.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

I'm totally not discounting your experience and it's unfortunate it went that way for you but the only time I've had to enter my passcode since owning my X has been after updating to new betas. FaceID has been flawless for me.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I was running my iPhone 7 alongside my iPhone X last night to get a feel for the display differences. I have to say that as good as Apple's LCD displays are (and they really are great), the X was a better visual experience. Actually, the soundtrack for the video was better sounding on the X, too. I'm not convinced it's worth the cost of the upgrade, but the X is really beautiful to look at and to listen to.

I agree the X is a better visual experience BUT I have to say that having my 8 for a week I don’t ponder or even consider the X screen because the 8 screen is good. I’m not jealous.

I didn’t return the X because of price. I actually was hoping for the same form factor as the 6/7/8 which happened. But what I quickly found out although close to the same form factor I never took into consideration how much the screen real estate affected use with 1 hand.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I can certainly understand the mentality of 8 users trying to make themselves feel better about their choice/circumstances in the face of the extremely cool X. I can understand that.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
The 8 is garbage. I went from the 6+ and skipped every every grade till the X. None of those were even worth a single dime of an upgrade. However, the X is.

Did exactly the same, went from a 6+ to the X.
After a week I took my 6+ out to delete everything and sell it and it felt so dated.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree the X is a better visual experience BUT I have to say that having my 8 for a week I don’t ponder or even consider the X screen because the 8 screen is good. I’m not jealous.

I didn’t return the X because of price. I actually was hoping for the same form factor as the 6/7/8 which happened. But what I quickly found out although close to the same form factor I never took into consideration how much the screen real estate affected use with 1 hand.

Regular 8, not Plus? I agree that the 6/7/8 iPhone is a good bit easier to use one-handed, and I have big hands. It probably depends on how you use the phone. Not everyone seems to feel the same way.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Regular 8, not Plus? I agree that the 6/7/8 iPhone is a good bit easier to use one-handed, and I have big hands. It probably depends on how you use the phone. Not everyone seems to feel the same way.

Yes non Plus 8.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes non Plus 8.

The post above about the 8 being garbage is laughable. The 6S and up are all great phones, and great iPhones, too. The X is...different. It's great, too, but the UI/UX needs some further development, which is not a surprise on a phone that's as different as the X.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Only in a few ways. Face ID, front camera Portait Mode and rear wide angle camera OIS, and OLED display. It isn’t superior in really any other way.

Faster telephoto lens for low light; TrueDepth front camera for AR (could be huge if T Cook is right) and Animoji; OLED with HDR.

I'm not convinced it's worth the cost of the upgrade, but the X is really beautiful to look at and to listen to.

O.P. referred to the 8 Plus, but the X is $300 more than the 4.7" 8. If you kept this over two years, works out to be just over 40¢ (US) a day. Do I think it's worth 40 cents a day extra? You betcha!

If you're comparing it to the 8 Plus, that's under 30¢ a day, and the only drawback is a slightly narrower screen -- deal breaker for some.
[doublepost=1512000691][/doublepost]
I returned it coming from a 7 because believe it or not I couldn’t use the X comfortably and securely with 1 thumb / hand in cases similar to the Magpul which make it yuge. It felt like I was navigating a Plus.

I went a few months with a 6, went back to my 5s. Gave it another shot with a 6s, ditched it for my SE. Never really felt comfortable with the 4.7" iPhones despite really wanting to like them. The switch from 3.5" to 4" was natural however.

What I had most trouble with was the way I had to readjust my grip a lot of times, and having to use my thumb pressing, tapping, double-clicking, triple-clicking, double-tapping, it was very uncomfortable.

The gestures on the X actually made using it way better, and while I would ditch it in a heartbeat for something between the size of that and an SE, I have to say with a slim case, even tho the X is wider, thicker, longer and heavier than my iPhone 6, it was far easier to use with one hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.