Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
I went to backup my iphone, and the option "encrypt local backup" was checked.
When I click to deselect, it requires a password.
What password is this?
Any default itunes password?

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
It should default to the password on your Mac unless you specified a different one

xlemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
It should default to the password on your Mac unless you specified a different one

I don't have MAC.
I use windows 10.
And in it, there is no password.
Also..., there is no password on my iphone.
The only password that exists, is the icloud password.
However, I tried the icloud password, and it's incorrect.

Note: is there a default password that itunes creates?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you try an incorrect password, do you see any link to "I forgot the password" (or something similar to that)?

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Try any various passwords you have used before in the past. There isn’t a limit to how many times you can try afaik.

The only way I know to reset it is to do a partial erase (erase settings option, not erase all content and settings) on the iPhone.

orev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2015
If you try an incorrect password, do you see any link to "I forgot the password" (or something similar to that)?

That kind of thing only works for online accounts, this is local encryption for iTunes

Reactions: Cayden

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
When you decided to encrypt the iPhone backup, you were asked to provide a backup password. If you don't remember the password, those backups are inaccessible. Since they are just backups, you can delete them and start over with an unencrypted backup. Instructions here:

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I have run into that myself and it is very frustrating. After all, why do I need to enter the password for an encrypted backup I ran in the past, in order to run an unencrypted backup now? It makes no sense.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
why do I need to enter the password for an encrypted backup I ran in the past, in order to run an unencrypted backup now?
When you encrypt something, you don't want anyone to be able to remove the encryption without the password, right?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have run into that myself and it is very frustrating. After all, why do I need to enter the password for an encrypted backup I ran in the past, in order to run an unencrypted backup now? It makes no sense.

• Because it may be a restore of a backup you made on a different machine.
  • Because someone may be at your unattended/unlocked machine attempting to restore something you deliberately deleted for privacy reasons, knowing you had it on an encrypted backup

If you aren't going to password protect things (and remember/manage the passwords), don't bother encrypting them.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
When you encrypt something, you don't want anyone to be able to remove the encryption without the password, right?
You are missing the point. I was not being prompted to decrypt and restore an old backup. I was trying to start a new, unencrypted backup.

I understand being prompted to enter the passcode when I have selected an iTunes encrypted backup to restore, but I haven’t. I’m trying to deselect the ‘Encrypt’ check box before clicking on ‘Backup’.

To be honest, if you have not used iTunes on Windows, you don’t have a useful opinion on this.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
You are missing the point. I was not being prompted to decrypt and restore an old backup. I was trying to start a new, unencrypted backup.

I understand being prompted to enter the passcode when I have selected an iTunes encrypted backup to restore, but I haven’t. I’m trying to deselect the ‘Encrypt’ check box before clicking on ‘Backup’.

To be honest, if you have not used iTunes on Windows, you don’t have a useful opinion on this.
It works the same way through Finder in macOS, don’t need to use iTunes on Windows to encounter this.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Probably your password used to unlock your iPhone.

Edit: Sorry didn’t realise you didn’t have password on your iPhone.

xlemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
It would only ask that if you have backed up your phone to that pc before and you did an encrypted backup in iTunes. The first time you did it, it would have asked you to create a pw. There is no default pw in iTunes for backups.

If there is no pattern, then he created an automatic one.

That's exactly what's happening.

Would you mind posting a screenshot?

I do not care.
I will put all the images in sequence.

Try any various passwords you have used before in the past. There isn’t a limit to how many times you can try afaik.

The only way I know to reset it is to do a partial erase (erase settings option, not erase all content and settings) on the iPhone.

That's exactly what I did
However..., in my life..., I only have two passwords.
For access to my email (outlook.com), it's a password.
And for games.
It's another password.
There are no more passwords I use.
There are only two.
The password on my icloud account is the same as the one I access to my email.
And it doesn't work.

That kind of thing only works for online accounts, this is local encryption for iTunes

That's why I don't understand why you are asking for the password.
I try to return..., and it asks for a password that I didn't enter.

When you decided to encrypt the iPhone backup, you were asked to provide a backup password. If you don't remember the password, those backups are inaccessible. Since they are just backups, you can delete them and start over with an unencrypted backup. Instructions here:

It's the only backup I have. There's nowhere for me to run.

My problem is that I did NOT enter a password.

Probably your password used to unlock your iPhone.

Edit: Sorry didn’t realise you didn’t have password on your iPhone.

No problems buddy.
I even called an apple (twice).
Both times, they said that this is not common to happen.

NOTE: I will try to detail what exactly happened to me...
My iphone microphone stopped working.
I joined the apple forum and followed some tips.
The first was to "reset all settings".
Once that was done, my microphone still didn't work.
I went back to the forum and went to step two.
Before "erase content and settings", I backed up.
I never backed up my iphone.
I don't use icloud because my iphone is 128gb.
I ran itunes and the option to encrypt was unchecked.
So I clicked on the "back up now" option.
When it was done, I grabbed my iphone and went to the "erase content and settings" option.
Once it was over, my micorphone continued NOT working.
That is...
It's not a software problem.
Hardware problem.
So, I went back to itunes and went to restore the backup.
And to my surprise..., asking for the password.
But what password?
As I mentioned earlier, I only use two passwords for everything.
And neither of these two is working.
That's why I'm here asking if there is any "default" password that itunes uses.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
There is NO “default” password for encrypted backups in iTunes for Windows. YOU would have created your own password on 1/11/21 when you created the backup. iTunes DID NOT create a password for you.

xlemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
There is NO “default” password for encrypted backups in iTunes for Windows. YOU would have created your own password on 1/11/21 when you created the backup. iTunes DID NOT create a password for you.

If itunes receive password request, I would definitely remember.
4 days ago is not much.
Since he didn't ask..., I go back to stake 0.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Obrigado pelas imagens. Sinto muito que você se encontre nessa situação. Infelizmente, você está sem sorte sem essa senha.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
On Mac, iTunes has the ability to store your backup passwords in the Keychain (accessed by the Keychain Access app), a user-wide password storage. I don't know if something similar for Windows exists, but if there is it's worth checking out. It would likely be in an entry labeled "iOS Backup" or "iPhone Backup"

Reactions: Cayden

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

xlemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
Obrigado pelas imagens. Sinto muito que você se encontre nessa situação. Infelizmente, você está sem sorte sem essa senha.

De nada.
Vim aquí no fórum justamente pra tentar entender da onde que surgiu essa senha.
Sendo que, quando fiz o backup..., não me pediu senha.

On Mac, iTunes has the ability to store your backup passwords in the Keychain (accessed by the Keychain Access app), a user-wide password storage. I don't know if something similar for Windows exists, but if there is it's worth checking out. It would likely be in an entry labeled "iOS Backup" or "iPhone Backup"

I'm going to search the internet and see if I can find something similar for windows.
In case I don't find ..., I'll look for some assistance that they use Mac, and that they also use this "keychain".
Thanks.

There is no default password. You’ll need to re-set your settings in iOS and start over again (no data loss). Make sure to record the backup password from here on out…

You’ll need an encrypted backup to get a complete backup for things like Health Data…

iMazing has a great guide on how to recover from your current state. Great piece of software.

So...
When I backed up in 2019, it didn't ask for a password.
That's why I didn't understand until now why this password came out of nowhere.
I assumed it was icloud password.
But it is not.
My iphone has always been unlocked.
I never put code to access it.
I have no idea what could have happened.
Not even my system has a password.
Just my icloud.
On my iphone, I deleted this health data app.
Thanks you for the link.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
So...
When I backed up in 2019, it didn't ask for a password.
That's why I didn't understand until now why this password came out of nowhere.
I assumed it was icloud password.
But it is not.
My iphone has always been unlocked.
I never put code to access it.
I have no idea what could have happened.
Not even my system has a password.
Just my icloud.
On my iphone, I deleted this health data app.
Thanks you for the link.
The backup password is different than your phone password and etc.

I have never used iCloud Backup for my devices so I don’t know how that works. I assume your backup password would be saved into iCloud Keychain or something if you did use this so it didn’t need to prompt you for it all the time. If it were that password, as mentioned earlier in the thread, taking a look at Keychain might reveal it. Otherwise, I haven’t encountered a setup where it sets this on its own.

Either way, resetting it using the process iMazing outlined will work perfectly. You can then record the backup password going forward and you’re covered. You’ll want a backup password as without it “sensitive” data will be excluded from your backups.

xlemes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
The backup password is different than your phone password and etc.

I have never used iCloud Backup for my devices so I don’t know how that works. I assume your backup password would be saved into iCloud Keychain or something if you did use this so it didn’t need to prompt you for it all the time. If it were that password, as mentioned earlier in the thread, taking a look at Keychain might reveal it. Otherwise, I haven’t encountered a setup where it sets this on its own.

Either way, resetting it using the process iMazing outlined will work perfectly. You can then record the backup password going forward and you’re covered. You’ll want a backup password as without it “sensitive” data will be excluded from your backups.

Thank you for the explanation.
I'm going to give up using itunes.
I'm even thinking about changing my device.
Without this "encrypted" backup (by apple), I will have to start from 0.
Anyway...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.