Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumperly

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
Hello. I had created iphone backup a week ago, we tried to restore it next day. 100% sure no ossword asked before creating backup, but now it asks for password. Any ideas? Brute force decoding would take decades. We tried every pssword we had (at least I think)

There is a bud that check the encryption box and creates a password. What is really upseting is that all official apple support denies that it may be possible.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
There is a bud that check the encryption box and creates a password. What is really upseting is that all official apple support denies that it may be possible.
Try the login password for the Mac.

Look in keychain app for the password in case it is saved there.

edit:
oh, thread necro. in windows? try blank password. Not sure there is a default that wouldn't be anything you either entered, or did not enter. Just try nothing in the password box.

jumperly

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
Try the login password for the Mac.

Look in keychain app for the password in case it is saved there.

edit:
oh, thread necro. in windows? try blank password. Not sure there is a default that wouldn't be anything you either entered, or did not enter. Just try nothing in the password box.
Hello. We tried all of keychain passwords, we found one called ios backup, at first we could not make it show (it was to only one which did not show), but then coopersting with apple support and screenshare it did, not with success though. We ran fabpass but its gonna take a lifetime. I am just angry because apple support plays dead in this case - we did not set password, but we dont have a proof, and they say that it is not apples fault.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
we did not set password, but we dont have a proof,

Whoever backed up would have been asked for a password. Twice. There is no default. Maybe they just clicked through without reading it properly.

From apple's support document on creating the backup:

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 7.53.01 am.png

Reactions: Cayden and NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Yes, the password is saved in "iOS Backup". I see my backup password in there in Keychain. Should be able to view it by entering the Mac account password.

If not seeing it, might have accidentally removed the value when looking at it in Keychain. Or deleted the whole entry in Keychain by mistake.

But what @throAU said, no way that a encryption password just happens to get set.

Attachments

• ios_backup_keychain.png
    ios_backup_keychain.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 44
  • entry.jpg
    entry.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 47

jumperly

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
Yes, the password is saved in "iOS Backup". I see my backup password in there in Keychain. Should be able to view it by entering the Mac account password.

If not seeing it, might have accidentally removed the value when looking at it in Keychain. Or deleted the whole entry in Keychain by mistake.

But what @throAU said, no way that a encryption password just happens to get set.
It literally happened less then 24 hours before our first attempt to access data after leaving the store. We did not see any window to which we could type the password, and the encryption was probably already checked.

jumperly

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2022
It literally happened less then 24 hours before our first attempt to access data after leaving the store. We did not see any window to which we could type the password, and the encryption was probably already checked.
There are more people with this problem, There is no way how we could type there a password. We were by mcbook the whole time from start to finish (approx 1 hour), no one else could type it for us. And I dont think 3 persons go crazy simultaneosly at the same time and dont see a request for password. It was not long time ago, we still remembered the process clearly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.