Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
While I greatly prefer D&D over Pathfinder (I grew up on D&D in my teen years, back when TSR still existed!), Pathfinder Kingmaker is still on my to-buy list. It looks promising.

After all, Pathfinder the RPG was founded and created when a ******** of former D&D designers left WotC in the D&D 3E era. It was, in essence, a "D&D spinoff". So there will always be very close similarities.

I'm wondering tho, if I can DL (buy) Kingmaker on other Mac venues outside of Steam?

I'm an occasional Mac gamer, so I never bothered with Steam. I will, on occasion, buy quality MacOSX ports done by the legendary Feral or Aspyr, etc.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
I played this for about an hour tweaking graphics settings and such ahead of time from my group's planned session. First impressions are that there are numerous graphics bugs, just turning on V-sync causes the game to crash to the desktop. It is still early access though, hopefully with some polish this will all work out.

Gameplay wise, it feels like Divinity II and D&D 5e had a baby. It's a very good system for single player, we'll see about multiplayer.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
While I greatly prefer D&D over Pathfinder (I grew up on D&D in my teen years, back when TSR still existed!), Pathfinder Kingmaker is still on my to-buy list. It looks promising.

After all, Pathfinder the RPG was founded and created when a ******** of former D&D designers left WotC in the D&D 3E era. It was, in essence, a "D&D spinoff". So there will always be very close similarities.

I'm wondering tho, if I can DL (buy) Kingmaker on other Mac venues outside of Steam?

I'm an occasional Mac gamer, so I never bothered with Steam. I will, on occasion, buy quality MacOSX ports done by the legendary Feral or Aspyr, etc.

I would probably buy Kingmaker from GOG if you don't want to get it from Steam.

Reactions: Zane Black

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
is there any word if they plan to bring this to Apple's upcoming hardware ?

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
is there any word if they plan to bring this to Apple's upcoming hardware ?
It wouldn't be hard. They would just have to recompile for ASi. That said, the game currently taxes my eGPU's Radeon 5700 XT SE, and I can only play on Medium settings for a semi-smooth experience. ASi macs will likely not match this GPU performance until desktop ASi machines are ready some time next year.

Reactions: martyjmclean

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
The game runs great on my MBP 16 with the 5600m GPU. Everything on Ultra and it's smooth AF. Loving it so far.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
The game runs nicely on my 16" MBP w/ i9 & 5500m. But it chokes on my classic Mac Pro, mewling about not running on Mojave. What is this garbage?

Sigh. I've seen this before. Why do all newly issued Mac Games, even if they're a PC port from 200 years ago, always insist on the latest version of MacOS at the time of release??

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Because it requires both AVX2 instruction set and a newer Metal version. It's easier to get good performance and there are less bugs to work around.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
The game runs nicely on my 16" MBP w/ i9 & 5500m. But it chokes on my classic Mac Pro, mewling about not running on Mojave. What is this garbage?

Sigh. I've seen this before. Why do all newly issued Mac Games, even if they're a PC port from 200 years ago, always insist on the latest version of MacOS at the time of release??
Because it requires both AVX2 instruction set and a newer Metal version. It's easier to get good performance and there are less bugs to work around.
Yeah, the instruction set is key. Your machine has to work harder to do the same thing. This is what happens when your machine is 8 years old, regardless of it's performance. Your raw processor power and probably upgraded GPU could handle it, but you are limited by your aging architecture.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
@SecuritySteve @Ritsuka Well what chaps my hide is that if I reboot into Boot Camp, Windows 10 runs it fine on the exact same hardware. Not at blazing framerates for sure (1080p High @ 30 fps), but at least it friggin' well runs. I like performance as well as the next guy, but if I have to choose between high fps or not running the game at all, guess which I'm going for?

rareohspdx

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
Will be getting a new iMac 27 w/ i7, 16gb ram & 5700xt gpu... should be able to run this smoothly with good settings?

gracias!

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
You mean its coming to a few Mac OS Catalina users and the rest get left out, then they will say well not many Mac users picked this up on this so whats the point to bring games to the Mac in the future.

Reactions: Plutonius

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
@rareohspdx Considering that it runs "pretty good" on my MacBook Pro's Radeon Pro 5500M, your 5700xt should run it like a champ.
Yeah it seems to run fine on my 2016 MacBook Pro with R460. I had to turn on VSync because of screen tearing. It defaulted to Ultra settings...

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Can you guys lmk what you're using to track the FPS? I'm fairly new to Mac Gaming so I'm not sure how to enable it or what to download?

rareohspdx

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2020
@rareohspdx Considering that it runs "pretty good" on my MacBook Pro's Radeon Pro 5500M, your 5700xt should run it like a champ.
Thank you!

One question I had is Stadia vs direct Mac purchase... is 4K available on the Mac version? Only way to get 4K with Stadia is the Pro level and questionable if that (stadia 4K) even will work on Mac OS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.