Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmedinas

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
From what I've seen in the Larian forums the current version is not yet optimized for arm64. I guess it will come in a future update. Still no word or confirmation of the developers.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Son of a.... Patch 3 is breaking save game compatibility. sigh, glad I didn't put as many hours into this so far as others have.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Son of a.... Patch 3 is breaking save game compatibility. sigh, glad I didn't put as many hours into this so far as others have.
Yeah they warned about this about a week before release. There is an option to continue playing with the old patch on PC, not sure if that option is available on Mac.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Hope there's some new story/quest/plot content past Chapter 1.5, otherwise I'll probably pass. New classes are fun, but I'm more interested to see how the story evolves.

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Hope there's some new story/quest/plot content past Chapter 1.5, otherwise I'll probably pass. New classes are fun, but I'm more interested to see how the story evolves.
I know they added new dialogue options and events. If Shadowheart's story interests you, she also got some more content added.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Looks like release has been pushed back to 2023.
Not a huge surprise. Hasn’t been a whole lot of new content added to the game that I can see. I’m not sure what’s taking so long: bug squashing, plot advancement, character development, etc.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Not a huge surprise. Hasn’t been a whole lot of new content added to the game that I can see. I’m not sure what’s taking so long: bug squashing, plot advancement, character development, etc.
They said they are finishing up the story and squashing bugs.

Reactions: imrazor

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
So - where do I buy it, GOG or Steam?
I’ve got my Mac Studio and I want to support Larian for supporting the Mac.

I use both GOG and Steam on PC, and I read that there were some issues with Steam installments - what is the current status on the two platforms?

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
So - where do I buy it, GOG or Steam?
I’ve got my Mac Studio and I want to support Larian for supporting the Mac.

I use both GOG and Steam on PC, and I read that there were some issues with Steam installments - what is the current status on the two platforms?
I've been using Steam, and from what I've read it uses a universal binary (both x86 and ARM) for the Steam installation.

Here's some folks talking about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/oky35c

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I've been using Steam, and from what I've read it uses a universal binary (both x86 and ARM) for the Steam installation.

Here's some folks talking about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/comments/oky35c
Yeah for a while you had to use the launcher to run the ARM native version, not sure if that has been fixed with the latest version of the game (and the latest Steam). My current Mac is Intel and my wife would be upset if I installed the game on her M1 Air for testing.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah for a while you had to use the launcher to run the ARM native version, not sure if that has been fixed with the latest version of the game (and the latest Steam). My current Mac is Intel and my wife would be upset if I installed the game on her M1 Air for testing.
100GB gone - poof! ?

Leaning towards GoG because Steams services might become a problem on AS Macs, then again GoG is a lot smaller, so how they will handle any AS Mac issues is an open question.

Reactions: JMacHack

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
100GB gone - poof! ?

Leaning towards GoG because Steams services might become a problem on AS Macs, then again GoG is a lot smaller, so how they will handle any AS Mac issues is an open question.
I’m of the opinion that when Rosetta 2 support ends, Valve will just drop MacOS support.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
Anyway, I bought BG3 from GoG, and it works well, with x86 and ARM64 selectable at startup.
It performs nicely. ?
And it’s actually (going to be) a good game. I think.

Edit: I actually find it to be a pretty damn good game even in its present early access form, and has had, and will have lots of fun with it. I can’t imagine the sheer amount of content they are going to have to squeeze into the full game. If this is the only native high profile highish budget game Apple Silicon Macs are getting, at least it’s one that we can play around with for a long time to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Homy and diamond.g

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Patch 8 has been released, they added Bards and some other stuff. The AS native version isn't out yet.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
This is what Mac needs, more games released on day 0. What's the use of games that everyone who wants to play already played on other platforms months even years ago?
Eh, not everyone has to play games on day zero. That said it would be nice to get equal treatment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.