Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
It is a separate team from "Larian proper" doing the port. So I assume QC and bug fixes are going to take a bit longer.

If they follow the Patch cycle (how long it takes macOS to get the latest patch) it will be 5 weeks, which puts it at launching the same time the PlayStation version does.
They state ”beginning of September”, so pretty good actually. Particularly for those of us with both a PC and a Mac, since we can just seamlessly keep playing the campaign that we started on PC. (Both versions included in the base price)

I’m perfectly fine with that. I hope that they at some point include Metal upscaling as well, as it would be a bit better quality than FSR1.

It’s a good game in its genre. Really good.

Reactions: iAssimilated

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I don't think anyone is going to say Baldur's Gate III is a flop.

You have never dealt with the crazy Playstation fanboys then. The PS4 generation got them too big for their britches since they had non stop banger after banger exclusives selling over 10 million copies in short times that now if other games don’t do the same than they’re instantly flops in their eyes

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You have never dealt with the crazy Playstation fanboys then
Perhaps not, but I stand by my comments, I don't think anyone is going to say Baldur's gate III is a flop.

Also cares what they think, or say, as long as you enjoy a game it doesn't matter what someone else says

1691254195724.png

Reactions: iAssimilated

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Per the last Larian Gazette (issue 025):
"We’re also targeting September 6 for Mac (via Steam, GOG, GeForce NOW) — to be confirmed."

Not 100% guaranteed, but it's more then they've said about the release in the past.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I will probably buy it just to support the developers of this game, and send a message that the consumers don't like micro / macro transactions. Micro / macro transactions do not belong in AAA games.

And ofcourse, I buy it to send a signal to developers that there is money to be made by releasing games on Mac.

But I will probably never play the game.

How does buying a game, in and of itself, send the message that consumers don’t like micro/macro transactions?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So running the game on the Steam Deck is alright, but also frustrating. I know my desktop runs rings around it, but man the downgrade is depressing.

Reactions: Irishman

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
How does buying a game, in and of itself, send the message that consumers don’t like micro/macro transactions?
I think the idea would be to not buy games with MTX in them. Eventually developers would see a pattern for game sales (with games not having MTX getting more sales).

l0stl0rd

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2009
The problem is all the big studios see how much money is to be made with mobile gaming.

When you look at diablo it feels like the wanted to push a 70bucks mobile game on us 😶.

Also all the good studios went bad after the got bought, Blizzard, Bioware, …

I am glad Larian declined the offer from Microsoft.

I will buy 10 copies of BG3 if it means they stay independent.

Reactions: MRMSFC

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Because this game has been very vocal about being a 'complete experience', and the 'loot box mafia' companies have tried to downplay the game at every turn. It is really an US vs. THEM scenario - and the success of BG3, while expected due to the franchise/developer/quality is expected, it is a signal that you can succeed by making a quality product and not trying to rip off and con your customers (and yes that is EXACTLY what those EA/MicroBlizVis/UbiScum games do)

Reactions: dmr727

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The problem is all the big studios see how much money is to be made with mobile gaming.

When you look at diablo it feels like the wanted to push a 70bucks mobile game on us 😶.

Also all the good studios went bad after the got bought, Blizzard, Bioware, …

I am glad Larian declined the offer from Microsoft.

I will buy 10 copies of BG3 if it means they stay independent.
They said their next game is going to be smaller, so I wonder if they are going to lay a bunch of folks off that are no longer needed.

MRMSFC

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2023
Because this game has been very vocal about being a 'complete experience', and the 'loot box mafia' companies have tried to downplay the game at every turn. It is really an US vs. THEM scenario - and the success of BG3, while expected due to the franchise/developer/quality is expected, it is a signal that you can succeed by making a quality product and not trying to rip off and con your customers (and yes that is EXACTLY what those EA/MicroBlizVis/UbiScum games do)
And yet it will still make a fraction of the money that micro transactions do.

These companies smelled blood, and while we will still get the token “complete experience” game, the majority will still be loaded with extra purchases.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC

Yeah, ultimately I think it's a losing battle. Doesn't mean I have to like it though, and there's still plenty of great content out there for me to spend my money on. I'm afraid I might be a little too casual a gamer to really sink my teeth into a game like BG3, but I'm happy to throw them 70 bucks to give it a shot.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I thought they hinted at another Divinity game, but was there something else they are working on?

I've also read they don't plan on doing any expansions for BG3 (which is a shame).

I recently replayed Solasta but didn't finish in time to try the high level Palace of Ice expansion to see how that would play. For me that would be the most obvious thing - something that takes off from Level 12 and goes to 20?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Perhaps not, but I stand by my comments, I don't think anyone is going to say Baldur's gate III is a flop.

Also cares what they think, or say, as long as you enjoy a game it doesn't matter what someone else says

View attachment 2241932
It's up over 800k now. This game is going to the top of Steam before it is over. It's flipping amazing. It's already causing other games to rethink IAP and how they are doing things generally.

I also want to push back on the idea that mobile gaming is taking over. Why? There is clearly room in the marketplace for both types of games. If anything BG3 is showing games like Diablo 4 how to do it properly. And D4 was still not a mobile game.

iedzavqpacdb1.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I also want to push back on the idea that mobile gaming is taking over. Why? There is clearly room in the marketplace for both types of games.
I agree, though I think mobile gaming presents itself as easy money, as the freemium model has taken root. Just look at how some of the games from King earn boatloads of money. The difference is that AAA games that cost millions are targeted at a distinct group of computer users - gamers. Mobile games can ensnare any and all users, across all demographics. Plus the idea of spending money to move forward in the game is expected

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

EntropyQ3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2009
And yet it will still make a fraction of the money that micro transactions do.
That’s not really the question though, is it?
Rather, the question should be: ”Would Baldur’s Gate 3 be more financially successful if monetized via micro transactions?”

Obviously there is no way for us to actually know the answer to that, seeing as peering into alternate realities is hard to do. But there is no doubt whatsoever that the fair play, cards on the table deal offered to game players has contributed to its popularity.

Personally I’m convinced that avoiding the microtransaction morass has both contributed to making the game better overall and has contributed to players being more inclined to fork over their money upfront, and that the combination has been made their model the right choice for the game. And I hope that its success contributes to at least a partial swing back of the pendulum away from predatory mechanics in the industry. Emphasis - hope.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.