Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
So, after being convinced by several people, I decided to join Facebook. I have no idea what I was even going to do with it, but I figured it'd be good to have. So I created an account and entered in all my information, but when I clicked "Create account," it was immediately suspended/banned. I never once saw the homepage or anything like that—I clicked create, and it popped up with a message saying my account had been suspended, and I could appeal the decision. So I appealed the decision and am still waiting on a response. The message in the attached screenshot is what now shows when I try to sign in.

My question is, why did this happen? I want to reiterate that never did I once see the homepage or anything. Immediately after I hit create account, it said that my account was banned. Anyone know what the heck is happening? How could I have broken the rules without even having been on the platform? Is there context I'm missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.48.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.48.54 PM.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 698

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I can't speak for Facebook specifically because I've never used it, but I'm aware that some other sites tend to use a rather large banhammer: "This user broke the rules, so we'll ban the entire ISP." I've been on the receiving end of this in the past.

Reactions: max2 and rm5

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
They have automated tools that detect suspicious activity such as fake names and other required data during signup. If you appeal / disagree with the decision, they'll usually unban you within 24 hours after completing the additional steps they will ask of you.

VietKinh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2023
Below freezing
So, after being convinced by several people, I decided to join Facebook. I have no idea what I was even going to do with it, but I figured it'd be good to have. So I created an account and entered in all my information, but when I clicked "Create account," it was immediately suspended/banned. I never once saw the homepage or anything like that—I clicked create, and it popped up with a message saying my account had been suspended, and I could appeal the decision. So I appealed the decision and am still waiting on a response. The message in the attached screenshot is what now shows when I try to sign in.

My question is, why did this happen? I want to reiterate that never did I once see the homepage or anything. Immediately after I hit create account, it said that my account was banned. Anyone know what the heck is happening? How could I have broken the rules without even having been on the platform? Is there context I'm missing?
Could it be that you are using VPN? I get ban if I make a new account on certain websites (if my VPN is active).

rm5

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
United States
It's been a little over a day at this point, and it still shows "You disagreed with the decision." I'll be sure to update y'all if something new happens.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

You’ve won the lottery! Think of how much safer your personal data is now.
Never joined FB. Never will.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
@rm5: I'm glad for your sake that your account has been re-instated.

My advice would be to confine your use of it to professional matters.

When a platform is free to use, this means that you (and your data) are the product; you and your data are what generates revenue and drives profit - and this (you and your data) is what is sold to advertisers, and what attracts them to the platform.

Personally, I loathe, despise, detest Facebook (or Meta, as they call themselves these days), and I have never had an account, and never plan to have one. An appalling outfit.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
@rm5: I'm glad for your sake that your account has been re-instated.

My advice would be to confine your use of it to professional matters.

When a platform is free to use, this means that you (and your data) are the product; you and your data are what generates revenue and drives profit - and this (you and your data) is what is sold to advertisers, and what attracts them to the platform.

Personally, I loathe, despise, detest Facebook (or Meta, as they call themselves these days), and I have never had an account, and never plan to have one. An appalling outfit.

Meta has a lot of properties on the internet because it's a free and easy platform to set up collaboration.

My town's discussion forum is on FB.

There was a cancer forum that was helpful to me and that was the primary reason I joined it. Unfortunately, they kicked me off after a week or two.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Meta has a lot of properties on the internet because it's a free and easy platform to set up collaboration.

My town's discussion forum is on FB.

There was a cancer forum that was helpful to me and that was the primary reason I joined it. Unfortunately, they kicked me off after a week or two.
I can see that it is useful - indeed, very useful - for some, and that ease of use will encourage further numbers of people to join.

However, personally, I detest the platform, - I detest how their model enables and facilitates of the erosion of privacy, boundaries and personal space; anyway, I have never joined and never will.

Well... I don't plan to use it except to repost existing things that other people have already posted, that's about it.

Why?

Check - ensure - that you have permission to do so, before doing that.

Friends of mine have had to ensure that photos they were in were not uploaded or shared.

Taking a photo - for private consumption - is one thing; however, uploading such images (or posts) is another and reposting such images (and links) is something else again.

Remember, the data is no longer yours once shared.

And maybe to look at where people are performing.

Now, that seems to me to be a good use of the platform.

And, should your own professional needs call for this, post about your own public performances - both flagging them in advance and posting any reviews, comments or simply upload images & picture (and/or audio and/or video files of your performances) subsequently; the platform could be very useful in such a context.

Last edited:

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I can see that it is useful - indeed, very useful - for some, and that ease of use will encourage further numbers of people to join.

However, personally, I detest the platform, - I detest how their model enables and facilitates of the erosion of privacy, boundaries and personal space; anyway, I have never joined and never will.

I thought that I could control privacy by running it in a sandbox using Tor redirection via Brave but it appears that they don't like you doing that.

Reactions: Chuckeee and rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I thought that I could control privacy by running it in a sandbox using Tor redirection via Brave but it appears that they don't like you doing that.

The whole point of the platform is to discourage one's desire to maintain a degree of privacy because you and your data are what lubricate the system, driving content, thus attracting advertisers and generating profit.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2019

This exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. Seems really lame. So, I'm not on Facebook (or Meta).

Reactions: rm5

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2019
So you were "banned" (or, should I say, your account wasn't approved)... and never got reinstated after a day or two?
No, I wasn't reinstated. And this was years ago.

I remember going through the whole process of creating an account and just as I was wrapping it up - and one click away from entering Facebook - BAM! I was suspended or whatever without any explanation. I didn't file for an appeal. But, to be honest, I didn't see anything indicating that I could file for an appeal.

So, then I tried two more times using different emails. All of these were also suspended.

I took the hint - and never tried to join Facebook again.

Now, that I think about it - they probably needed my cell number and I wasn't willing to provide my cell number (at the time anyway).

These days I think many websites want more information on who you are - and that's why handing over your cell phone number to random websites seem to be common now.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
. . . I'm aware that some other sites tend to use a rather large banhammer: "This user broke the rules, so we'll ban the entire ISP."

Rather large? I'd say! Wow, that's ridiculous. If they did that were I live, half the city would be unable to use the website, lol!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.