Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

183336-obama.jpg
Silicon Alley Insider briefly reported earlier today that President Barack Obama was scheduled for a one-on-one meeting with Apple CEO Steve Jobs today following Obama's arrival in the Bay Area for a fundraising visit.He's speaking at Google exec Marissa Mayer's house in Palo Alto this evening.

Before that, says a source familiar with the details, he may have a one-on-one meeting with Steve Jobs.Bloomberg now follows up, noting that the two are scheduled to meet at a San Francisco hotel for about 45 minutes to discuss several topics, including issues related to technology and the economy.Obama and Jobs are scheduled to meet for about 45 minutes at a San Francisco hotel for a discussion on the economy and technology issues, Gibbs said.

"This is a meeting the president was interested in having," Gibbs told reporters traveling with Obama. "He's eager to talk to him about the economy, innovation and technology, education."According to the report, Jobs and Obama last met in 2008 during the presidential campaign.

Note: Due to the inevitable political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Barack Obama and Steve Jobs Meeting Today to Discuss Economy and Technology

thevofl

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
It's a trap!!!!! Steve stay away!!!!!! You don't need Obama's involvement and suggestions.

Reactions: -DMN-

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
To those who are curious...

The reason that posting in discussions in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum is limited to forum members with a history of 100 or more posts is that it allows current forum members to express their opinions but avoids a problem that is common at other websites (and at this website in the past), where outsiders with no interest in Apple discussions join merely to make trolling hit-and-run political posts.

PorterRocks

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
Idaho
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would very much like to know the specifics of their conversation and what kind of outcome there will be (if any). It should be good anyways.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003
Let me guess, Obama will beg Steve to become Economic Czar of the country.

//Atlas Shrugged

miknos

Suspended
Mar 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would very much like to know the specifics of their conversation and what kind of outcome there will be (if any). It should be good anyways.

Me too. I just hope it is about asking Jobs advice and not about joining or contributing to the government in a way that conflict with the interest of the citizens.

Or... Maybe Obama will ask a discount for iPads? :p

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007

So what type of gift will Obama have for Steve and what will steve have for Obama?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Perhaps he just wanted to talk to someone not spewing doom & gloom for a change.

"Hi Steve, how's business?"
"Great!"
"How are you guys doin in this economy?"
"Great!"
"How does the future look to you?"
"Great!"
"This was refreshing, thank you. ...can we do this once a week?"

& Yea. Steve Jobs would make a great president. ...of North Korea!

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Obama's lack of real world experience is showing and damaging the country - he is all about sound bites and votes - can't comprehend how the real economy operates.

I was so disgusted with Bush, the Republicans and the horrible bouncing of the wall campaign that McCain ran that I voted for Obama - thought he couldn't be any worse.

Was I ever so wrong......

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Obama is cool with AT&T having exclusive coverage, but wants to access Flash-based sites like Fox News on his iPad. My money says Jobs stands firm.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Obama's lack of real world experience is showing and damaging the country - e is all about sound bites and votes - can't comprehend how the real economy operates.

I was so disgusted with Bush, the Republicans and the horrible bouncing of the wall campaign that McCain ran that I voted for Obama - thought he couldn't be any worse.

Was I ever so wrong......

How has Obama been worse? If it weren't for him we'd be in a true economic depression right now. Perhaps you've also forgotten how horrible Bush was at diplomacy.

We are in the "bust" part of the economic cycle and its going to take time to get out of it.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Some may already know, but Obama was very instrumental in getting Apple/Mac into the White House. Prior to his arrival the WH was mostly Windows XP, and some 7 [figures...Bush...]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.