Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fionnybo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023
Hi there!
We’ll not get too deep into the Irish politics - I live in Northern Ireland, with the Republic of Ireland just 20 minutes away. Northern Ireland is not in the EU, but the Republic is.
What would I have to do to get access to the EU specific features? I know they’re controversial, but I’d like to try them out.
Do I need to make a new Apple ID in the South/with VPN? Or is it more complex, requiring me to get an iPhone in a southern Apple Store?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Franjelisco

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
The country is embedded in the model number. Every iPhone has a model number with a / at the end followed by 1-2 digits making up the country. That way you can see in which country an iPhone was sold. This model number is enforced in software so Apple will simply enable EU features in an iOS update for all models that were sold in a EU country.

You can check the country code in the model number in your iPhone settings (the About page).

There won't be any workaround or tricks, actual geolocation doesn't matter. If you have a model with a country code in the EU then you'll get EU features. If not you can sell the device and find one with the correct code to purchase although you might have to travel for it. The model number will be listed on a shop's product page or can be provided by the retailer if you ask them.

Your situation is going to be interesting because your country code should be B and it's used in the UK and in Ireland. Which will pose a problem and might require Apple to allow sideloading in the UK as well. I have no idea how they could resolve that. Maybe they already have different country codes now for newer models, not sure about that.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
The country is embedded in the model number. Every iPhone has a model number with a / at the end followed by 1-2 digits making up the country. That way you can see in which country an iPhone was sold. This model number is enforced in software so Apple will simply enable EU features in an iOS update for all models that were sold in a EU country.

You can check the country code in the model number in your iPhone settings (the About page).

There won't be any workaround or tricks, actual geolocation doesn't matter. If you have a model with a country code in the EU then you'll get EU features. If not you can sell the device and find one with the correct code to purchase although you might have to travel for it. The model number will be listed on a shop's product page or can be provided by the retailer if you ask them.

Your situation is going to be interesting because your country code should be B and it's used in the UK and in Ireland. Which will pose a problem and might require Apple to allow sideloading in the UK as well. I have no idea how they could resolve that. Maybe they already have different country codes now for newer models, not sure about that.
Is that how they're doing it? What if someone is using a US model while in the EU?

Reactions: Fionnybo

Fionnybo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2023

Thanks for replying!
My country code is ‘A’, which is California, if I’m correct. Not sure where I fall now haha.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

They‘re not basing this on country codes in model numbers…

They‘ve introduced a yet to be used geolocation system in one of the previous updates that takes a plethora of information in to determine where a user is located at (wifi networks, cell networks, gps location, app store region and so on).

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
They‘re not basing this on country codes in model numbers…

They‘ve introduced a yet to be used geolocation system in one of the previous updates that takes a plethora of information in to determine where a user is located at (wifi networks, cell networks, gps location, app store region and so on).
This!
The model number never playd any role.
I for example used a US iPhone X in Germany for years without having access to the news app that has never been released in Germany.

Reactions: holgr

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
This is all speculation and worth nothing. There are no alternative stores yet for anyone to be able to actually test the parameters that enable the EU feature.

And even if this were true, according to the site below, some UK and Ireland phones have the same model number.
In addition, my iPhone 15 bought in the UK is a "ZD" and it's listed as one also sold in EU countries.

Apple pretty much stopped using Model Numbers as a reliable indicator, especially in Europe where goods cross borders easily.

What would I have to do to get access to the EU specific features?
You'll have to wait actual user feedback. The beta wasn't even released for 24 hours and there doesn't seem to be a way to test the feature yet since there aren't approved marketplaces.
Watch this thread to see what people discover: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-17-4-beta-1-bug-fixes-changes-and-improvements.2417419/

Last edited:

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
This!
The model number never playd any role.
I for example used a US iPhone X in Germany for years without having access to the news app that has never been released in Germany.
It also takes the carrier into account. So if you were just visiting Germany for a while you'd have retained access to the news app.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
This is some of the information that iOS checks to determine whether a device is eligible for sideloading and App Marketplaces, based on system reports and code seen by 9to5Mac:

• Apple ID billing address
  • The user’s current location (apparently Apple is only checking the country and not a precise location for privacy reasons)
  • The current region set in iOS settings
  • The device class (whether it’s an iPhone, iPad, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.