Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teralpar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
I currently have an Apple Watch 3 LTE (since Sept 2017) and battery life usually lasted over 2 days—I would usually charge the watch overnight, put on the watch around 6am and wear until 8-9pm and still have around 70% left. However, I downloaded the AutoSleep and HeartWatch apps a few days ago, and while I find the apps very useful, the battery life on my watch has taken a big hit. I am now finding myself having to charge it at least twice a day. And once it’s charged, it will usually go from 100% to 50% in less than half a day. Also, I now have to make sure it’s charged before I go to bed. If I fall asleep when the watch is at 100%, after 7-8 hours of sleep its down to 60%. When I first used the AutoSleep app, I would fall asleep at 100% and wake up 7-8 hours later and the watch would still be around 95%. Does anyone else have this battery drain issue with these apps? Do you have any tips as to what I can do to reduce battery drain?

TIA!

Reactions: Lee_Bo

gtjeta

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I am using both with negligible impact in my battery. I had problems with the battery one day, I do not know why. Reboot and everything was back to normal.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I use both, and have no noticable problems with the battery drain. I charge my watch in the mornings, and usually wind up with 55-60% remaining when I put it on the charger. Might try rebooting your watch as the above poster said.

teralpar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Thanks! I will try rebooting. Although I noticed today that I’ve had my watch on for about 8 hours so far and the battery has gone down from 100 to 69%, so it seems to be back to normal. I don’t know what was going on those other 2-3 days.

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks! I will try rebooting. Although I noticed today that I’ve had my watch on for about 8 hours so far and the battery has gone down from 100 to 69%, so it seems to be back to normal. I don’t know what was going on those other 2-3 days.

Autosleep hasn’t worked for me in a month, I might be the only one though. Liked it for the few weeks it worked. It started to not recognize when I actually woke up and hours after using my phone it finally realized I wasn’t sleeping. So I deleted it.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Autosleep hasn’t worked for me in a month, I might be the only one though. Liked it for the few weeks it worked. It started to not recognize when I actually woke up and hours after using my phone it finally realized I wasn’t sleeping. So I deleted it.

Same for me.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Autosleep works perfectly for me, if I start with 100% when going to bed and select theater mode, I always wake up with around 98% battery. Heartwatch uses no battery at all for me, it simply uses Apple Health data when I open the application on the watch or iPhone.

wytwolf

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2012
I've started to use theatre mode when going to bed also. The moving about was turning on my screen. I've noticed a 5-10% difference in batter life over night but with theater mode its only 1-2%.

Reactions: AMTYVLE and Lee_Bo

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I use autosleep for the convenience factor (no need to tap anything to indicate “I am sleeping” every night). It relies ONLY on heart rate so I only use it for simple reference. But I don’t notice any battery drain at all. Solid 2 days usage. More than satisfied.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I use autosleep for the convenience factor (no need to tap anything to indicate “I am sleeping” every night). It relies ONLY on heart rate so I only use it for simple reference. But I don’t notice any battery drain at all. Solid 2 days usage. More than satisfied.

Autosleep uses a lot more than HR to determine sleep periods, but the key thing is it uses data the watch is already recording anyway and then puts it all together AFTER the fact so you don't even need to install the app on your watch if you don't want (just iPhone) let alone run the app at night.

As far as I know AutoSleep uses...

1. Heart Rate (lower stable heart rates tend to indicate sleep)
2. Movement data from BOTH the Apple Watch and iPhone (if you are asleep the iPhone will be still and Apple Watch will show less movement and certain body positions)
3. On/Off status of iPhone (ie. if you are using your iPhone in bed you must be awake)
4. Charging status of the iPhone (if you are charging the iPhone at night while your Apple Watch has minimal movement you are likely asleep)
5. AutoSleep app "Light Off" indication, this is a OPTIONAL button in Autosleep to tell it you are now going to try to fall asleep. In my experience it really doesn't matter if use this.

AutoSleep is darn smart and super customizable. Don't charge your iPhone at night? Often leave your iPhone ON the bed at night where it can move? You can for example tell the app that so it continues to learn what the likely signs you are asleep are.

ALL of this requires not the tiniest bit more battery power than if you didn't use the app because it is looking at data the Apple Watch and iPhone collect anyway and all after the fact.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
48 hours off charger and battery is at 50% using Heartwatch and Autosleep.

Attachments

• IMG_2343.PNG
    IMG_2343.PNG
    527 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_2342.PNG
    IMG_2342.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 598

markol

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Does the Watch app work if I put the watch to Airplane Mode at night? I don't want to have the wifi/cellular radios on and near my body 24/7.

risenphoenixkai

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Does the Watch app work if I put the watch to Airplane Mode at night?

It should. As someone else said, it's really once everything syncs back to your iPhone that the relevant health/movement data gets sorted out.

I don't want to have the wifi/cellular radios on and near my body 24/7.

The microwave-band radiation produced by the Watch is non-ionising and extremely low energy, and therefore its interaction with body tissues is virtually nonexistent; the flux passes right through you without interacting with your cells in any way. This flux poses no health risk whatsoever.

All claims of radiation damage from Wi-Fi and LTE are medical quackery.

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
I use both those apps without issue.

I seem to regularly get to 3days 14hrs usage before I get the 10% warning ( I don’t use raise to wake) 42mm LTE model, without using LTE.

Guyon

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2018
Does the app have any battery impact on the iPhone tho? is it possible to have it tracking the sleep only via watch data?

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
Does the app have any battery impact on the iPhone tho? is it possible to have it tracking the sleep only via watch data?

Yes it does. Both AutoSleep and HeartWatch needs Background App Refresh to be enabled, and I consistently see both apps in my Battery stats eating away 1-2% of battery in the background in a 24-hour timeframe. I don't think they use any extra battery life on the watch itself, but they do use up to 4-5% of battery life combined on the phone just running in the background from each charge. This happens no matter if the app is force closed or not.

I also used AutoWake from the same company, which basically drained my phone overnight unless it was put in a charger... So I've stopped using AutoWake, as it didn't really do anything special.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
I have both on my watch and use them nightly with no issues. I also turn on airplane and theater modes so notifications and light won't wake either myself or my wife. Works great.

Smartwatchlover

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
Rome
Does the Watch app work if I put the watch to Airplane Mode at night? I don't want to have the wifi/cellular radios on and near my body 24/7.

Yes it does.
I always set my watch in Airplane Mode when I go to bed and you just need to turn it off when you wake up: after a while (let’s say 1 minute) the auto sleep app on your phone will get all the updates from the watch.

Easy and painless.

Davidglenn

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I just started using this app a few days ago... I set my watch to airplane and theater mode when I go to sleep. I still lose about 10% battery overnight. Is this normal?

I have been using the app for about 2 weeks. After reading this thread I go to sleep in theatre mode. My phone is DND. I have restarted the watch and iPhone. Deleted and reinstalled the app. Yet I lose about 17% of battery during sleep and about the same for the next 17-18 hours. I have an AW 3 and it is only a few months old so it is not the battery.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I have been using the app for about 2 weeks. After reading this thread I go to sleep in theatre mode. My phone is DND. I have restarted the watch and iPhone. Deleted and reinstalled the app. Yet I lose about 17% of battery during sleep and about the same for the next 17-18 hours. I have an AW 3 and it is only a few months old so it is not the battery.
I'm still losing at least 10% overnight. airplane,dnd, theater mode. I even turned off the option to turn the screen on by turning the digital crown. tried closing all apps in dock before going to sleep. restarted phone and watch... nothing helps.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I have an Apple Watch Series 0 (Day 1 purchase) and lose about 7% overnight while using Autosleep. I just charge the watch while getting ready in the morning and it's back to 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.