Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battery Health

• 95 - 100%

Votes: 60 44.4%
  • 90 - 94%

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • 85 - 89%

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • 80 - 84%

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Less than 80%

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
After 1 year + on iPhone 11 still 100% really happy! Though I guess I don’t use my phone that much hmm

I honestly thought it would of dropped by now.

Wireless charged it for a while now.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Sitting at 92% as of posting this on my 11 Pro Max and I’m still getting anywhere between 9-11hours SOT, phone still lasts well over a full day, it’s only limitation is me and the fact that I plug in overnight just so that I can wake up to a 100% charged battery in the morning. :)

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Sitting at 92% as of posting this on my 11 Pro Max and I’m still getting anywhere between 9-11hours SOT, phone still lasts well over a full day, it’s only limitation is me and the fact that I plug in overnight just so that I can wake up to a 100% charged battery in the morning. :)

I do the same thing most of the time. Why is mine still 100% ? I am confused. Sorry.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I do the same thing most of the time. Why is mine still 100% ? I am confused. Sorry.
The battery health number is simply an estimate, it can sit at the same place for months and then jump down by multiple % at any given time when it self corrects. Yours may self correct at some point as no matter what we do batteries degrade.

My suggestion to you is that when it does self correct do not panic, as long as your battery life is good you are fine, don’t put too much stock on that number. Although I am at 92% my battery life is still phenomenal.

Reactions: 3Rock and max2

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
11 Pro Max from launch. 95%. I pay no mind to special treatment of the battery. I plug mine in every night regardless of what percentage the battery is on as I want to start every day with 100% capacity. I've been charging since launch via an old iPad Pro 20W USB-A charging brick.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
The battery health number is simply an estimate, it can sit at the same place for months and then jump down by multiple % at any given time when it self corrects. Yours may self correct at some point as no matter what we do batteries degrade.

My suggestion to you is that when it does self correct do not panic, as long as your battery life is good you are fine, don’t put too much stock on that number. Although I am at 92% my battery life is still phenomenal.

Ok cool. Thanks.

Reactions: Tsepz

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
My 12 mini is on 96% but lives plugged in for apple car play all week, not noticed any change in the phones behaviour with regards to how long the battery lasts.

Reactions: prazakj

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
6 year old iPhone 6 plus on original battery. This is what coconutBattery says - obviously can't be correct.
Battery never gets charged to 100% and never fully discharged

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    225.6 KB · Views: 99

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
Oddly my phone stayed at 100% for a year until the update that recalibrated the battery. Then the last couple months my battery max cap started to go down. Now reaching 94% after I rebooted yesterday. Prior to rebooting it was 96%. Like wtf? I checked the cycle count in the phones log. Said 112. After 1 yr of charge cycles shouldn't that be more like 300+?

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
100% after a year. 40%-80% charge rule since Day 1.
Did the same thing. Almost always low power mode and dark mode.
91% after 1y2m. Mostly used the fast charging cable that it came with and a third party 5 Buck cable.
Bs. Got a new one and won’t and don’t care this time. I’ll be willing to pay 75€ after 1 year just not to care after all my useless efforts last time.

Last edited:

Zilli-1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
I bought a secondhand iphone xs with a genuine apple battery replacement. I use shortcuts to remind me to start charging the phone. Whenever I start charging process it also switches to low battery mode with an automation. I charge it up until 81% from the time I got it. I start charging with a 5V apple charger around 40 - 50% and the battery health keeps dropping at least 1% on a monthly base. It has a cycle count of 250 cycles. I really don't get what I'm doing wrong... This should work right? I've been pretty consistent with the charging times with the occasional spike to 90% but that's it. I bought the phone on 94 percent in october (10-04-21) on 94%. and it's 89% today (12-28-21). It's becoming very frustrating! I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone some advice? Thanks!

Last edited:

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I bought a secondhand iphone xs with a genuine apple battery replacement. I use shortcuts to remind me to start charging the phone. Whenever I start charging process it also switches to low battery mode with an automation. I charge it up until 81% from the time I got it. I start charging with a 5V apple charger around 40 - 50% and the battery health keeps dropping at least 1% on a monthly base. It has a cycle count of 250 cycles. I really don't get what I'm doing wrong... This should work right? I've been pretty consistent with the charging times with the occasional spike to 90% but that's it. I bought the phone on 94 percent in october (10-04-21) on 94%. and it's 89% today (12-28-21). It's becoming very frustrating! I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Anyone some advice? Thanks!

Maybe it’s a defective battery? See if apple will replace it again. Idk much about apple and replacements but they might?

Zilli-1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
Maybe it’s a defective battery? See if apple will replace it again. Idk much about apple and replacements but they might?

Thanks for the reply. The previous owner had it replaced on the 7th of March 2021. I don’t think that Apple would replace it again though since it’s been quite some time.

Attachments

• F30E3BA0-9E74-436B-BE30-63F107BCA018.jpeg
    F30E3BA0-9E74-436B-BE30-63F107BCA018.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 67

Zilli-1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
I’ve had apple support run a remote diagnostic and said that the battery is performing normal. Wow..another percentage down in less than 2 days after my last recharge to 80%. Health is 88% now. I’m letting the 40-80% thing go. It’s not working for me. Degradation has never been this quick with other phones. Very disappointing…thought that I was doing a good thing but I guess not…

Zilli-1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
I’ve had apple support run a remote diagnostic and said that the battery is performing normal. Wow..another percentage down in less than 2 days after my last recharge to 80%. Health is 88% now. I’m letting the 40-80% thing go. It’s not working for me. Degradation has never been this quick with other phones. Very disappointing…thought that I was doing a good thing but I guess not…

Coconut battery data:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 18.08.45.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-29 at 18.08.45.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 69

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
11 Pro Max from launch...battery still at 100%. Charging methods include a wireless pad, MBP charging brick, MBP itself. Fantastic battery life - I get at least two-three days on a single charge with normal usage.

Reactions: HalfFullmoon

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
11 Pro Max from launch...battery still at 100%. Charging methods include a wireless pad, MBP charging brick, MBP itself. Fantastic battery life - I get at least two-three days on a single charge with normal usage.
Wow. Now you have to tell us more. What is your charging technique? Are you a heavy user, or a light user who charges every couple of days? What's your average screen time on a daily basis? Do you charge to 100%, and/or overnight? Thanks.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
my iPhone XS, the batter was down to 90% in far less than a year, and after 3 years it was 79% so took it in to get replaced. although I took it to an apple authorised repair centre (but part of a big electronics retailer) they said they didnt have apple batteries in stock but had 3rd party which were just as good except it wouldnt tell me my battery health any more.

3rd party battery is only 3 month old and to be honest it lasts about as long as my old degraded official apple one, wish I hadn't bothered to change it. Coconut battery says it holds 96.6% of its design capacity of 2658 mAh but honestly its low battery after a day at work same as my old 79% one.

Reactions: Zilli-1

Zilli-1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
my iPhone XS, the batter was down to 90% in far less than a year, and after 3 years it was 79% so took it in to get replaced. although I took it to an apple authorised repair centre (but part of a big electronics retailer) they said they didnt have apple batteries in stock but had 3rd party which were just as good except it wouldnt tell me my battery health any more.

3rd party battery is only 3 month old and to be honest it lasts about as long as my old degraded official apple one, wish I hadn't bothered to change it. Coconut battery says it holds 96.6% of its design capacity of 2658 mAh but honestly its low battery after a day at work same as my old 79% one.

My XS dropped another percent to 88% since my last post.(yesterday) f**k it. I’m gonna maximize usage and replace the phone whenever I feel it doesn’t perform to my standards anymore. I’ve been doing the 40-80% thing for about 3 months now and the health dropped exponentially!

I’ll be replacing the battery probably around mid 2022 since if this amount of degradation keeps up. I heard that the XS had poor battery life but this is ridiculous.

The previous owner had the battery replaced on march 2021. I’m so disappointed.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

xTidus

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
I don't really understand why my battery is dropping like that... It was really perfect until I update it to iOS 15...
I'm not sure if iOS 15 is really causing that since I charge it as before and carefully not in hot area, but these is definitely an issue since iOS 15... Look at my coconut battery history.

Attachments

• Screenshot 30-12-21.png
    Screenshot 30-12-21.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 48

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
My XS dropped another percent to 88% since my last post.(yesterday) f**k it. I’m gonna maximize usage and replace the phone whenever I feel it doesn’t perform to my standards anymore. I’ve been doing the 40-80% thing for about 3 months now and the health dropped exponentially!

I’ll be replacing the battery probably around mid 2022 since if this amount of degradation keeps up. I heard that the XS had poor battery life but this is ridiculous.

The previous owner had the battery replaced on march 2021. I’m so disappointed.
I think battery health has less to do with an arbitrary battery charge level (80%, 85%, 96%, 100%, etc.), and more to do with how long the phone is connected to a charger. At least, that my running theory from reading all the anecdotes of various users.

One has to also remember that charging from 20% to 80% probably takes almost the same amount of time as charging from 80% to 100%. Also, if your iPhone is connected to a charger, it will trickle charge the phone even if it already reached 100%, or even the 80% charge set through battery charge optimization by Apple, thereby increasing the time the battery is spent charging!

I am thinking of purchasing a smart plug and having it schedule charging at night from 1:00am to 2:30am everyday to limit the charge time. I am not going to babysit and set notifications, etc.

Last edited:

Zilli-1

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
Thanks
I think battery health has less to do with an arbitrary battery charge level (80%, 85%, 96%, 100%, etc.), and more to do with how long the phone is connected to a charger. At least, that my running theory from reading all the anecdotes of various users.

One has to also remember that charging from 20% to 80% probably takes almost the same amount of time as charging from 80% to 100%. Also, if your iPhone is connected to a charger, it will trickle charge the phone even if it already reached 100%, or even the 80% charge set through battery charge optimization by Apple, thereby increasing the time the battery is spent charging!

I am thinking of purchasing a smart plug and having it schedule charging at night from 1:00am to 2:30am everyday to limit the charge time. I am not going to babysit and set notifications, etc
Thanks for the response. What would
you recommend on charging frequency? It does charge quite fast even though I’m charging at 5W. Applying the 40-80% charge process The phone would be connected about 2 times a day to stay in that range.

I’m currently calibrating the battery and will do a last attempt on preserving battery health. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.