Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Battery Health

• 95 - 100%

Votes: 60 44.4%
  • 90 - 94%

Votes: 43 31.9%
  • 85 - 89%

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • 80 - 84%

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Less than 80%

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I don't really understand why my battery is dropping like that... It was really perfect until I update it to iOS 15...
I'm not sure if iOS 15 is really causing that since I charge it as before and carefully not in hot area, but these is definitely an issue since iOS 15... Look at my coconut battery history.

It have to be a iPhone 12 series thing, since I’m on 14.1, and my battery is at 86%. From the rumors I read in 2020, Apple must have used cheap batteries in the 12 series. I haven’t heard much nor have looked to see if the 13 series was having the same issue.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It have to be a iPhone 12 series thing, since I’m on 14.1, and my battery is at 86%. From the rumors I read in 2020, Apple must have used cheap batteries in the 12 series. I haven’t heard much nor have looked to see if the 13 series was having the same issue.

Cheap batteries in such an expensive smartphone? I won’t be impressed if that is the case. My battery health is freakishly low after just a year and I’m tempted to try for an answer off Apple as my previous iPhone was 2 years old with a similar battery capacity. Not impressed.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Cheap batteries in such an expensive smartphone? I won’t be impressed if that is the case. My battery health is freakishly low after just a year and I’m tempted to try for an answer off Apple as my previous iPhone was 2 years old with a similar battery capacity. Not impressed.

If it’s true I believe it. There should be no reason to have a battery at 86% for a device that’s 14 months old. All I can do at this point, is wait for the battery to hit 80% and have Apple replace the battery through AppleCare+. I’ll be keeping this phone as a backup when I upgrade to the 14 Pro Max.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Thanks

Thanks for the response. What would
you recommend on charging frequency? It does charge quite fast even though I’m charging at 5W. Applying the 40-80% charge process The phone would be connected about 2 times a day to stay in that range.

I’m currently calibrating the battery and will do a last attempt on preserving battery health. Thanks!
It is only my theory, but I believe battery degradation is highly influenced or progressed by the amount of time a phone/battery has spent charging. At least, that is the common denominator I am seeing.

Your phone charges fast to 80% because there are little limitations until 80%. After 80%, in order to reduce damage to battery, the phone slows down the charging. It slows down charging even further as charge level approaches 100%.

I can't do the whole 40% to 80% upkeep. That is wasting my time, and frankly, not utilizing the phone as it was meant to be used. That is why I will get a smart plug to control and schedule the amount of time the phone is spent charging. As I have said before, when Apple does the 'Optimized Battery Charging', the phone is kept at that 80%. If your phone battery's charge level goes below 80%, Apple keeps trickle charging it, which makes the whole 80% charge level moot, imo.

One of our family members has 11PM from December 2019. Her battery health level is at 84%, and her charging method is whenever, wherever, mostly with lighting cable and 20W. And yes, the phone has died often from lack of charge.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If it’s true I believe it. There should be no reason to have a battery at 86% for a device that’s 14 months old. All I can do at this point, is wait for the battery to hit 80% and have Apple replace the battery through AppleCare+. I’ll be keeping this phone as a backup when I upgrade to the 14 Pro Max.

If my battery falls to 80% in under 24 months, I will be getting Apple to replace it for free. There is clearly a quality issue for a battery to deplete in such a short space of time.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
As I have said before, when Apple does the 'Optimized Battery Charging', the phone is kept at that 80%. If your phone battery's charge level goes below 80%, Apple keeps trickle charging it, which makes the whole 80% charge level moot, imo.
How is that moot? It’s the way Optimized Charging is supposed to work. It’d only be moot if it charges over 80% too early. Batteries are gonna loose charge over time even when you don’t use it at all and you don’t need to charge the 1-2% it loses at the full 20W to top it off.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
How is that moot? It’s the way Optimized Charging is supposed to work. It’d only be moot if it charges over 80% too early. Batteries are gonna loose charge over time even when you don’t use it at all and you don’t need to charge the 1-2% it loses at the full 20W to top it off.
What I mean is, Apple continues to trickle charge the phone. The charging is not cut off at 80%, but maintained. So, the phone continues to charge overnight.

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
iPhone 12 Mini purchased from Apple.com in December 2020, arrived on the 9th. End of November and up to now - it's already at 85% in 12 months. To me that seems rather alarming considering it almost never gets below 20% and is taken off the charger at night most of the time and never left on. Also has the "optimized charging" enabled.

I just sent my wife's XS off to get a new battery this week as it's nearing 900 cycles and it's max capacity was only finally getting to 80%. But also not lasting through the day so there's a lot more to it than just max capacity, seems with that many cycles it just flat out drains faster.

I'll have to search the thread for other 12 mini's, seems excessive to me considering it's only half paid off at this point...

1640977002446.png

1640977209102.png

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
What I mean is, Apple continues to trickle charge the phone. The charging is not cut off at 80%, but maintained. So, the phone continues to charge overnight.
Trickle charging doesn’t damage a battery in anyway and partial charging is better for a Li ion battery and their might be other reasons too for them to hold on to this practice. They definitely know their batteries better and that’s what they think is best.

HalfFullmoon

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
Trickle charging doesn’t damage a battery in anyway and partial charging is better for a Li ion battery and their might be other reasons too for them to hold on to this practice. They definitely know their batteries better and that’s what they think is best.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Following Apple’s steps have not helped reduce battery wear on most devices, as showcased by this thread.

I also disagree with Apple knows best. We were part of the group that Apple unnecessarily slowed down with iPhone 6. We experienced no issues with shutdowns, etc. And to be frank, the iPhone 6 after four years had much better battery life than my current iPhone 8. Hmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.