Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pro85

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2020
thanks for the replies.
it's normal?
thanks

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-07-25 alle 08.42.39.png
    Schermata 2020-07-25 alle 08.42.39.png
    284.6 KB · Views: 436

topcat001

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2019
This might be obvious, but the health reported is lower with the battery health management feature enabled. So, please disable it before taking measurements.

Reactions: Pro85

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
This might be obvious, but the health reported is lower with the battery health management feature enabled. So, please disable it before taking measurements.

Thats what I had thought too, but when I check coconutBattery with it on and off (quitting and reopening between) it shows the same design capacity.

iKel

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2017
I have the base mode i7 16" I can literally go 1.5 days without a charge pretty unreal, wondering if the i9 is similar? 16"?
what are your settings? what did you run to reach 1.5 days? did you constantly use it? or using it a while then put to sleep then use it again?

I have my brand new base mode I7 16" with 32G RAM 1T ssd for about a week, as tested a couple times, with minimum usage ( safari browsing, occasionally opening video clips, no extensive heavy apps running), I only got around a little more than 5 hours. I have even disabled CPU turbo feature. no external device attached, I made sure it's using iGPU only.

I also tried resetting SMC too, but still not helpful.

the battery life doesn't seem to be great on my laptop, wondering if I should return it....

Last edited:

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
Try this: "sudo pmset -b gpuswitch 0" (To restore normal setting: "sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 2")

It disables the dGPU on battery, it's useless anyway - stupid irresponsible programs sometimes engage dGPU for no reason and drain the battery, an example is Pixelmator, without anything open, it just engages dGPU and drains battery

I get 7+ hours with Chrome (just Netflix and occasional browsing), Safari is buggy with Netflix :(

Reactions: prospervic

Peter_W

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
i9 32GB 5500M 8GB i get 3-6h of normal use (I do have a lot of chrome tabs open, though quite often with the great suspender extension working, anyways it's 2020 this should not drain battery like that...). TBH i think this is quite horrible for something that's supposed to last 11h. I have this machine for 2 weeks now was even worse at start.

kaans

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2014
The problem IMO is Apple's non existent OS innovation, we have nothing in terms of usability or advanced features, just a barebone OS, no customizability

So the issue here is the unnecessarily engaging dGPU, it drains the battery, if you disable dGPU on battery, it should last 8 hours easy with Chrome and full video playback - 10 hours for Safari, but Safari is bugged for me, there are weird flashes during video playback (repeating that Apple sucks, they can't even get their browser right)

1 trillion dollar suckage

Edit: What we need here is ECO settings, we should configure the OS to not use Turbo, how to use dGPU and so on ... (my 8 hour figure is with Turbo on, I don't use 3rd party tools to disable it)

Last edited:

MacRS4

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
London, UK
i9 32GB 5500M 8GB i get 3-6h of normal use (I do have a lot of chrome tabs open, though quite often with the great suspender extension working, anyways it's 2020 this should not drain battery like that...). TBH i think this is quite horrible for something that's supposed to last 11h. I have this machine for 2 weeks now was even worse at start.

I switched to Microsoft Edge (stop laughing). It feels much like Chrome but isn't anything like as ruinous on my battery.

Reactions: tonyr6 and sat24

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
The issue somehow is related to Battery Health Management. If I disable it, my full capacity is 8276. If I re-enable it, the capacity drops to below 7900.
That just seems to indicate that battery management sets the max charging threshold to 7900mah which seems like a non-issue.

So have people in this thread been leaving battery management on or off?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I switched to Microsoft Edge (stop laughing). It feels much like Chrome but isn't anything like as ruinous on my battery.
I did the same thing. I don't know if this is good battery life but been browsing for a little over hour, listening to Apple Music on bluetooth speaker using the Edge browser and battery drained about 13%.

diggi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Hi, has anyone seen any improvement with Big Sur? I‘ve done a clean install (with USB Stick) and now figuring out how much my battery will last. With Catalina I had 4-5 hrs max. My MacBook 16“ i9 16GB is from 2019 and has only 11 cycles (I have not been using it much since I bought it...). I am indeed very disappointed with the battery life....

Will see if it will improve after a few cycles and when indexing is done, but from what I can see from yesterday until now it‘s not very promising :( [current estimation is 6hrs]

Reactions: yassin1988

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I did the same thing. I don't know if this is good battery life but been browsing for a little over hour, listening to Apple Music on bluetooth speaker using the Edge browser and battery drained about 13%.
Its good, I use it over Chrome too. BUT, Safari is best on a Mac.

Peter_W

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
That just seems to indicate that battery management sets the max charging threshold to 7900mah which seems like a non-issue.

So have people in this thread been leaving battery management on or off?
I have it on as it makes sense to have it on, however my problem is predicted charging times (with or without battery management) are like 10h if battery is e.g. 50% which is absurd. Also my laptop only lasts around 4h. I'm quite sure by now my battery is just damaged... (device is only 2 m.o.).
And battery indeed charges super slowly...

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
I have it on as it makes sense to have it on, however my problem is predicted charging times (with or without battery management) are like 10h if battery is e.g. 50% which is absurd. Also my laptop only lasts around 4h. I'm quite sure by now my battery is just damaged... (device is only 2 m.o.).
And battery indeed charges super slowly...
That's unfortunate. What do you plan to do?

Peter_W

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2020
i will return it for replacement, but as i WFH for now, that is not my top priority

diggi77

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
quick update: after the setting to stay on internal graphics card when on battery and disabling turbo boost (both to be found in the answers before) I‘m at +11hrs of battery life with Big Sur!

The funny thing is that it was always showing that I was on internal GPU (e.g in Activity Monitor), but the battery was still draining like hell....now after 1,5hrs of usage I am at 86%

Disabling Turbo boost makes some apps not to open as quickly as before, but that‘s still a good trade-off for the great battery life, and the performance is still great!

I know, as users we should not be bothered with such technical tweaks but that‘s the best workround for the time being. And in 4-5 years we will all be on Mx-Chips which means we will have battery life of +20hrs :)

Mattwhite93

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2020
This is my current situation, and I think something is wrong with my battery. I bought the mac 6 months ago so do you think the support will replace my battery under warranty?

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-12-07 alle 10.58.30.png
    Schermata 2020-12-07 alle 10.58.30.png
    186 KB · Views: 86
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.