Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I have posted in other threads about issues I've had with a fast draining battery and before I return it to the Apple Store today I want to try one last thing and am looking for input. I would average about 15-18 hours on my 42mm Sport with generally light use. Brought it to the Genius Bar and they sent it for a battery replacement as they couldn't get the diagnostics to work. Warehouse said diagnostics came back great and they wouldn't replace the battery. Received it back dead, charged to 33%, had it drop to 31% while on charger fixing watchfaces and wore it for 75 minutes with little use other than answering a couple of text messages. It was at 13% when I went to bed. I woke up at 2:30 and took it off the charger to see what would happen. By 5am it was at 87% from 100%.

I have since reset the watch again, restarted it twice, and restarted the phone twice. It went from 100% to 89% in about an hour and fifteen minutes and at that point I noticed that usage and standby times were similar. I pulled every app off that did not come with the watch and stuck it back in the box. It dropped 4% in a few minutes to 85% and is now at 84%, but the app lost
contact with the watch. The two times are now separated by 11 minutes but it has been well over that since I took the watch off.

My question. If I leave this thing in the box all day and have a low battery by the time I arrive at the Apple Store, can its placement in the box somehow be blamed since it was struggling to find a Bluetooth signal in there or anything? I want to properly demonstrate that something is up.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Personally, I wouldn't go to such trouble. If they're unwilling to replace the battery, return the watch and buy a new one.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
At this point it's probably smarter to wait for the second generation. :p

That's certainly one of your choices. I love mine and would have a hard time giving it up at this point, it has integrated so easily into my life, I love notifications on it, and it has had such positive impacts on my activity level - and I love the way it looks and enjoy wearing it every day.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I wonder how many people with battery issues have the battery % displayed on their watch face, and if that makes a difference in battery life?
From the beginning, a month now, I have not had it on my watch faces. I don't want to know lol. And I've had great battery life, always ending my 16 hour day with 40% or more on my 38mm.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I wonder how many people with battery issues have the battery % displayed on their watch face, and if that makes a difference in battery life?
From the beginning, a month now, I have not had it on my watch faces. I don't want to know lol. And I've had great battery life, always ending my 16 hour day with 40% or more on my 38mm.

I'm in the same boat as you and this is how I do it too.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
I'm in the same boat as you and this is how I do it too.

Interesting Bryan. There has to be something to it or something else? I have my brightness on high, haptic on high, prominent haptic on, hey Siri on, raise wrist on, etc. and no battery issues. I feel so bad for these people that are having a problem.

Tomloes

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Do you use your phone as a hotspot? I had mine turned on yesterday (bluetooth to a laptop) and for some reason my watch battery drained incredibly fast (like 1% a minute).

qpid360

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Pasadena, CA
I mentioned in another thread about how inconsistent these issues are. I had a Sports model and the battery life on that was great. End of the day, I still had 60% or so and didn't even bother charging until the next day at work. The SS model I have now flat out sucks. The battery barely makes it to the end of the day. I just wiped it right now to start over and it looks like it's still draining fast.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I mentioned in another thread about how inconsistent these issues are. I had a Sports model and the battery life on that was great. End of the day, I still had 60% or so and didn't even bother charging until the next day at work. The SS model I have now flat out sucks. The battery barely makes it to the end of the day. I just wiped it right now to start over and it looks like it's still draining fast.

How long have you used it? Any difference in the settings?

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
Felt i should chime in as im now having the same issues. I had the 42 sg sport and battery was severly impressive. Made it through 18 hours easy my first day checking the HRM obsessively, checking mail, making phone calls, using siri, using maps, you name it.

I decided that i wanted the SS instead. This thing is chewing through battery at close to 15% an hour with all the same settings as the 42 SG and im barely touching the thing.

Brightness on both were at max, haptic turned up, all options like hey siri and turn wrist were on.

At first i did a "restore from backup" and had the issue. Did hard resets on both devices. Didnt work so i set the watch up as new and have been using it for the day and same issue. Did hard resets again and not working.

Hard not to imagine that there are some lemons out there. Im gonna use it for a few more days to see if the problem fixes itself and probably wait until they are available in stores so i can get an in store exchange.

Anyone else with battery issues?

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Felt i should chime in as im now having the same issues. I had the 42 sg sport and battery was severly impressive. Made it through 18 hours easy my first day checking the HRM obsessively, checking mail, making phone calls, using siri, using maps, you name it.

I decided that i wanted the SS instead. This thing is chewing through battery at close to 15% an hour with all the same settings as the 42 SG and im barely touching the thing.

Brightness on both were at max, haptic turned up, all options like hey siri and turn wrist were on.

At first i did a "restore from backup" and had the issue. Did hard resets on both devices. Didnt work so i set the watch up as new and have been using it for the day and same issue. Did hard resets again and not working.

Hard not to imagine that there are some lemons out there. Im gonna use it for a few more days to see if the problem fixes itself and probably wait until they are available in stores so i can get an in store exchange.

Anyone else with battery issues?

I sent mine to the repair depot and they said the battery was functioning normally, but I am noticing my usage and standby times are very close hinting at background processing that could be draining the battery. What are your times?

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
I sent mine to the repair depot and they said the battery was functioning normally, but I am noticing my usage and standby times are very close hinting at background processing that could be draining the battery. What are your times?

I still haven't seen you post your usage/standby times, and I'd also be curious about your iphone usage/standby times.

scholls22

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Same exact issues as the op. I got the watch on Tuesday and have had similar issues all day yesterday. I took it to Apple and they couldn't get the diagnostics to work either. I went back later on that afternoon and they got the diganostics to run, however, I reset the watch and they needed 6 hour of usage to run the test.
I also noticed that the standby time and usage times were very close. To those of you who are not having issues, are your times close?

I also noticed that my iPhone 6 battery is draining way quicker than usual as well. I was called out for my work at 0100 this morning and both were down to 75% by 0515 and neither were used heavily because I was working. It seems that the two are draining each other somehow.

I just did a system restore on both and about to try it out.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I still haven't seen you post your usage/standby times, and I'd also be curious about your iphone usage/standby times.

I won't be able to get the watch functioning again until later today, but as of this morning when standby was 59 minutes usage was 56. As standby moved over two and a half hours, usage hugged within 3-8 minutes of that time. At one point I put the watch away and the spread increased, but usage did not stand still.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I won't be able to get the watch functioning again until later today, but as of this morning when standby was 59 minutes usage was 56. As standby moved over two and a half hours, usage hugged within 3-8 minutes of that time. At one point I put the watch away and the spread increased, but usage did not stand still.

You posted phone usage times. What are your watch usage times (in the Watch app on the phone)?

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
You posted phone usage times. What are your watch usage times (in the Watch app on the phone)?

The watch can't be powered on until later as I attempted a reset with low battery and it's stuck. From this morning, I can only tell you that the numbers were within three to eight minutes of each other.

Can I take it that standby shows the real time length of time since it last came off the charger, and usage is the amount of that time it had been in use?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The watch can't be powered on until later as I attempted a reset with low battery and it's stuck. From this morning, I can only tell you that the numbers were within three to eight minutes of each other.

Can I take it that standby shows the real time length of time since it last came off the charger, and usage is the amount of that time it had been in use?

If the watch's usage and standby times are that close, then something definitely is wrong. Definitely shouldn't be that close unless the watch is on the whole time.

scholls22

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Just called Apple and explained the usage/standby times. They are clueless. Told me to have it replaced in the store....WTF

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Just called Apple and explained the usage/standby times. They are clueless. Told me to have it replaced in the store....WTF

The store will ship it out for a battery replacement. The depot will send it back saying the battery is fine. Meanwhile, it's likely a software glitch. But it's not affecting everyone.

mpass

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
yep problems here too! Barely used it today and after only 9 hours of usage my SGS 42mm is almost dead. something is up. I am going to wipe everything clean and start over tonight. I hope tomorrow is better. any suggestions are welcome;)

tearsen

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
Same problem here. I had my SS42mm since day one. Watch worked fine for more than 4 weeks. I put it at the charger every night with about 30- 40%.

Two days ago, suddenly my battery drain issue started. Losing about 15% per hour. I did not change anything on my watch neither did I install any aditional software.

I unpaired my watch and set it up as a new watch and did not install any third party apps so far. The problem persists, I´m still losing about 15% of battery per hour.

I´ve been at genius bar today. all diagnostic test passed without any errors.
They did not have any replacement watches in store, so I kept my watch.
They told me, if they send it in to repair it takes about 8 weeks to get it back.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

scholls22

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Same problem here. I had my SS42mm since day one. Watch worked fine for more than 4 weeks. I put it at the charger every night with about 30- 40%.

Two days ago, suddenly my battery drain issue started. Losing about 15% per hour. I did not change anything on my watch neither did I install any aditional software.

I unpaired my watch and set it up as a new watch and did not install any third party apps so far. The problem persists, I´m still losing about 15% of battery per hour.

I´ve been at genius bar today. all diagnostic test passed without any errors.
They did not have any replacement watches in store, so I kept my watch.
They told me, if they send it in to repair it takes about 8 weeks to get it back.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

I was told 5 days for the off site testing. I'm thinking about waiting till the stores get them and swap it out. Is your iPhone battery draining rapidly as well? Mine is matching the watch percent for percent.

What's your usage and standby time?

latsyrhc

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Chicago, IL
thank goodness i'm not the only one having battery issues. mine 38mm sport barely lasts 13 hours. hoping for a software update or something soon that'll fix this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.