Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I don't get why people refer to low-wage workers as slaves -- seems like a shock-tactic. Remember that these workers are in the top 25% income bracket in China. How much do they have to earn to not be "slaves" anymore?

The reason is that effectively these people are "trapped" either because they have their ID confiscated [as reported] or because they are in enviable position of being in the "top 25% income bracket" where do they go if they lose their jobs or are disciplined? Even so, they are 100's even 1000's of miles from home, their family and have the "benefit" of earning around $12 a day. I get it, it is too easy to dramatise this and perhaps slaves is the wrong word, but they are not very far from being exactly that.

----------

Hands up who is still going to buy iPads and iPhones regardless of working conditions in their manufacturing plants? My hand is in the air because you'd have to stop buying any electronics if you felt personally guilty about exploitation in the supply chains. Long hours, the use of tin, you name it, we can split all manufacturing down and find a moral reason not to buy something. Are there any big name companies who haven't been had up for exploitation? Weren't Samsung accused of using child labour back in 2011/12?

This might be an ideal opportunity for some to stick the boot in to the BBC and Apple, but the fact is it is a wide spread problem.

This is the crux of it, and to be honest, I wont change my buying habits either, even if I do feel bad about it. The likelihood is that it would probably be even worse, if the volumes dropped. But these companies can all spout their dogma and propaganda, but let's face it, if it is only costs $5 for build a phone, what hurt would it be to everyone if it cost $10 and it transformed the lives of the these folks. The reality, even if Apple and others are trying to make it better, they are doing it with "codes of practice" and "policy" but always under the same basis, that being to challenge these subcontractors to treat their staff with dignity and look after their welfare, but hey we are not spending any more than $5 per phone.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
thats not an answer to my question. apple states they have improved and monitor the conditions and workload of the factory workers. has that improvement come from pressure from apple or through regulatory changes?

who said overnight (apple and co also didnt just setup shop there yesterday) and who said to change all china? this thread you are in is regards to electronics manufacturing.

So let me ask you a question. What have you done directly for the plight of these Chinese workers? Besides come here and complain its something Apple has to fix?!?

Have you written to the Chinese government, joined any organizations, talked to your congressman?

Do you stop buying products that profit from these workers. Such as textile clothing, almost all electronics, anything marked made in: China, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Cambodia and so on?

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I don't get why people refer to low-wage workers as slaves -- seems like a shock-tactic. Remember that these workers are in the top 25% income bracket in China. How much do they have to earn to not be "slaves" anymore?

You have seen the programme I take it? The focus wasn't just on Pegatron and Foxconn but on the appalling conditions of young children trying to extract tin. The landscape resembled the moon. A far cry from the 'green credentials' Apple likes to portray to the world.

One can hardly claim to be a good environmentalist if the ingredients that go into making your product are killing and damaging the health of people trying to extract it.

It's like the sham of offsetting your carbon footprint by planting a few trees - laughable.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
So let me ask you a question. What have you done directly for the plight of these Chinese workers? Besides come here and complain its something Apple has to fix?!?

Have you written to the Chinese government, joined any organizations, talked to your congressman?

Do you stop buying products that profit from these workers. Such as textile clothing, almost all electronics, anything marked made in: China, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Cambodia and so on?

first of all i dont believe i have said its apples to fix problems in all of china. i have said they can choose who they do business with, the stipulations in their supply agreements and how strongly they enforce them.

with regards to electronics im assuming you understand that since pretty much everything is made there that the choice is really no choice. i for instance have to have a cell phone (and computer really as well) as my personal identification is on my simcard else i just cannot access certain government websites needed. Online banking will follow soon.

is there an ethical electronics manufacturer? this one was brought to my attention https://www.fairphone.com/

i do my best to buy clothes made that follow my ideology (which is more than just workers rights) even if it means paying a little more. before i buy online i try and research the brand a little bit. i buy from apple and pay a little more and think that should trickle down.

but the biggest mistakes you are making here is trying to act as if i or anyone else here that you dont agree with have leverage of the same scale as apple and that we have in anyway stood in the way of apple improving the situation even if it means adding a few $ to our prices. there really is no other choice for consumers to vote with their wallet.

Last edited:

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I have said they can choose who they do business with

And you could too.

with regards to electronics im assuming you understand that since pretty much everything is made there that the choice is really no choice.

But you have made the choice of doing nothing, but expect Apple to do something.

But the biggest mistakes you are making here is trying to act as if i or anyone else here that you dont agree with have leverage of the same scale as apple

Being hypocritical and saying one person or a group of people don't matter does nothing more then pass the worlds problems and blame to someone else to deal with it.

And that we have in anyway stood in the way of apple improving the situation even if it means adding a few $ to our prices. there really is no other choice for consumers to vote with their wallet.

Because a lot of these people don't have the time, motivation or drive to do these things for themselves. They simply don't want to be bothered by this because its the big corporations that should do it for them.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
And you could too.

But you have made the choice of doing nothing, but expect Apple to do something.

Being hypocritical and saying one person or a group of people don't matter does nothing more then pass the worlds problems and blame to someone else to deal with it.

Because a lot of these people don't have the time, motivation or drive to do these things for themselves. They simply don't want to be bothered by this because its the big corporations that should do it for them.

just so there is no misunderstanding. you are proposing i stop using electronic goods or buy from who?

me being willing to pay a little bit more (as i do with other goods) makes no difference if apple and co arent willing to follow through.

btw just to summarise your view is consumers should pressure governments for more regulations?

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Although an English import and mainly run by the English, reading the sub-texts of many of these posts I can well see how slavery was so difficult to abolish and why it led to a civil war.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Although an English import and mainly run by the English, reading the sub-texts of many of these posts I can well see how slavery was so difficult to abolish and why it led to a civil war.

And from what superior land do you speak from? lol

I have to laugh at the people who blindly defend Apple and suggest the BBC lacks credibility, yeah right and then those who think these practices are exclusive to Apple.

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
Pushing aside your multiple ad hominem attacks ("self-righteous," "arrogant," etc) against me...

All of the questions were legitimate given the shallowness of your initial statements. Some of them may have been phrased in a condescending manner (rightly) but were certainly not without merit in what they were asking.

I'm glad that you are admitting to being 'condescending' in your initial response. How are your questions legitimate if you yourself state that they are tainted with 'condescension' and 'rhetoric'? How can you judge my statements as 'shallow' in my little snippet of words without having a deeper discussion on the topic. My ad-hiominem attacks reflect self-righteous and self-described 'condescension' in your own writing. If you want to engage in a discussion be respectful in how you address someone instead of being patronizing while conveniently hiding behind the anonymity that the forum provides you.

For all of your bluster about rules of argument (which you clearly don't apply to yourself and mislabel me with) you still haven't engaged in a substantive argument.

Nor do you even bother to justify the fallacy labels you so gleefully throw around. Stating "any rational person...[would agree with me]" is the worst and silliest justification for an accusation I've ever seen.

You can continue to cloak yourself in the appearance of argument. The fact is I wasn't arguing with you. In fact you targeted me to drive your own agenda instead of having the courage to stand on your own two feet.

No one has mischaracterized what you've said - what you've said - is simply weak as an argument. You bemoan Apple as a target being singled out yet fail to argue with any depth why a highly visible giant transnational corporation that is financing the problem shouldn't be scrutinized. Further you state it is not the job of corporations but governments to have oversight on the matters that Apple is financially responsible for, totally ignoring Apple's or any other company's role in shaping government regulation or oversight.

Perfect 'straw-man'. The statement I made was, "Why is the BBC focussing on Apple as if this was all the responsibility of Apple. Where are the governments of China and Indonesia on protecting their worker's rights in all of this and regulating companies such as FoxConn and Pegatron. It is really the government's responsibility to enforce laws and environmental regulations. It's a little disingenuous for the BBC to lay all the blame at Apple's feet." Can you tell me where I've said that it is not the job of corporations to have oversight and only the job of governments, as you state? Am I mistaken is saying that it is the job of governments to uphold laws and environmental regulations? Where have I said that large transnational corporations shouldn't be scrutinized? You're talk about Apple's role in shaping government policy is ad-hoc at best. You're shifting context to create new meaning.

You then admonish the BBC because they did not focus on other companies and solely Apple (an ad hominem fallacy in itself) while failing to state why this is a problem - simply asserting it to be so. The point of course is not who else is guilty of wrong doing but the wrongness of the thing itself.

I admonished the BBC for unfairly targeting Apple (it could have been any company) without targeting any other 'stakeholders' of the problems that they raised. There's clearly an ethical issue here. Where is the fallacy? My point is that the issue is far greater than attributing blame to a single stakeholder. I'm not defending Apple. I'm hoping that the BBC would hold themselves to a higher journalistic standard. It seems, by your standards, journalism is only as effective as the sensationalism that it uses to target the issue. Accuracy, nuance or fairness be damned.

If you want to talk about intellectual laziness you'd do better to introspect a little more (as Renzatic pointed out) before casting insults and decrying anyone who challenges you with a question as submitting to a fallacy. You appear as little more than a white-washing reactionary willing to throw mud at anyone casting a critical eye at your unsupported assertions.

It's a little hypocritical of you, given that you describe your own writing as condescending, to accuse me of casting insults. And don't try and cast your so-called 'challenge' as anything more than a self-rightous attempt to project yourself as 'holier than thou'. It's no wonder that you don't seem to see the documentary as anything but legitimate and fail to see it's obvious flaws. The characteristics of the documentary and your own standards line up 100%.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Apple supplier Pegatron responds to BBC labor report, says it is inspecting negative claims. http://www.imore.com/apple-supplier...bor-report-says-it-inspecting-negative-claims

----------

Pushing aside your multiple ad hominem attacks ("self-righteous," "arrogant," etc) against me...

All of the questions were legitimate given the shallowness of your initial statements. Some of them may have been phrased in a condescending manner (rightly) but were certainly not without merit in what they were asking.

For all of your bluster about rules of argument (which you clearly don't apply to yourself and mislabel me with) you still haven't engaged in a substantive argument.

Nor do you even bother to justify the fallacy labels you so gleefully throw around. Stating "any rational person...[would agree with me]" is the worst and silliest justification for an accusation I've ever seen.

No one has mischaracterized what you've said - what you've said - is simply weak as an argument. You bemoan Apple as a target being singled out yet fail to argue with any depth why a highly visible giant transnational corporation that is financing the problem shouldn't be scrutinized. Further you state it is not the job of corporations but governments to have oversight on the matters that Apple is financially responsible for, totally ignoring Apple's or any other company's role in shaping government regulation or oversight. You then admonish the BBC because they did not focus on other companies and solely Apple (an ad hominem fallacy in itself) while failing to state why this is a problem - simply asserting it to be so. The point of course is not who else is guilty of wrong doing but the wrongness of the thing itself.

If you want to talk about intellectual laziness you'd do better to introspect a little more (as Renzatic pointed out) before casting insults and decrying anyone who challenges you with a question as submitting to a fallacy. You appear as little more than a white-washing reactionary willing to throw mud at anyone casting a critical eye at your unsupported assertions.

I'm glad that you are admitting to being 'condescending' in your initial response. How are your questions legitimate if you yourself state that they are tainted with 'condescension' and 'rhetoric'? How can you judge my statements as 'shallow' in my little snippet of words without having a deeper discussion on the topic. My ad-hiominem attacks reflect self-righteous and self-described 'condescension' in your own writing. If you want to engage in a discussion be respectful in how you address someone instead of being patronizing while conveniently hiding behind the anonymity that the forum provides you.

You can continue to cloak yourself in the appearance of argument. The fact is I wasn't arguing with you. In fact you targeted me to drive your own agenda instead of having the courage to stand on your own two feet.

Perfect 'straw-man'. The statement I made was, "Why is the BBC focussing on Apple as if this was all the responsibility of Apple. Where are the governments of China and Indonesia on protecting their worker's rights in all of this and regulating companies such as FoxConn and Pegatron. It is really the government's responsibility to enforce laws and environmental regulations. It's a little disingenuous for the BBC to lay all the blame at Apple's feet." Can you tell me where I've said that it is not the job of corporations to have oversight and only the job of governments, as you state? Am I mistaken is saying that it is the job of governments to uphold laws and environmental regulations? Where have I said that large transnational corporations shouldn't be scrutinized? You're talk about Apple's role in shaping government policy is ad-hoc at best. You're shifting context to create new meaning.

I admonished the BBC for unfairly targeting Apple (it could have been any company) without targeting any other 'stakeholders' of the problems that they raised. There's clearly an ethical issue here. Where is the fallacy? My point is that the issue is far greater than attributing blame to a single stakeholder. I'm not defending Apple. I'm hoping that the BBC would hold themselves to a higher journalistic standard. It seems, by your standards, journalism is only as effective as the sensationalism that it uses to target the issue. Accuracy, nuance or fairness be damned.

It's a little hypocritical of you, given that you describe your own writing as condescending, to accuse me of casting insults. And don't try and cast your so-called 'challenge' as anything more than a self-rightous attempt to project yourself as 'holier than thou'. It's no wonder that you don't seem to see the documentary as anything but legitimate and fail to see it's obvious flaws. The characteristics of the documentary and your own standards line up 100%.

Apple was indeed singled out, that's not fair to exclude all the others that are guilty of this crime long before Apple decided to outsource billions of production jobs, a trend that started with England. BBC used Apple because Apple is #1. Not fair to use Apple as the main example and not include all other guilty parties that led to this unjust world wide mess we are now in.

Last edited:

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
And from what superior land do you speak from? lol

I have to laugh at the people who blindly defend Apple and suggest the BBC lacks credibility, yeah right and then those who think these practices are exclusive to Apple.

Why the UK of course - home of the BBC. :D

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Apple was indeed singled out, that's not fair to exclude all the others that are guilty of this crime long before apple decided to outsource billions of production jobs, a rand that started with England. BBC used Apple because Apple is #1. Not fair to use Apple as the main example and not include all other guilty parties that led to this unjust world wide mess we are now in.

If you hold yourself up as a beacon and someone finds that beacon to be somewhat dimmed then why do you think it unfair for such matters to be brought to everyone's attention?

I saw nothing in that film to suggest it wasn't true or that Apple were being treated unfairly. The iPhone workers were led over their benches asleep. The workers were being housed in Dickensian style accommodation. The children were working in appalling conditions trying to extract tin. Apple did pull out of an exclusive interview, because I suspect they couldn't argue with the findings.

Yes it hurts when you find your God is a false God but that's life.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
If you hold yourself up as a beacon and someone finds that beacon to be somewhat dimmed then why do you think it unfair for such matters to be brought to everyone's attention?

I saw nothing in that film to suggest it wasn't true or that Apple were being treated unfairly. The iPhone workers were led over their benches asleep. The workers were being housed in Dickensian style accommodation. The children were working in appalling conditions trying to extract tin. Apple did pull out of an exclusive interview, because I suspect they couldn't argue with the findings.

Yes it hurts when you find your God is a false God but that's life.

I feel Apple got what they deserve here, but they aren't the only one's guilty of this crime.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
How are your questions legitimate if you yourself state that they are tainted with 'condescension' and 'rhetoric'?

As was already explained to you, simply because a question is not phrased in a manner to your liking, does mean the content of what the question is asking is without merit. This is not a difficult distinction to make, if you are able to grasp the difference between content and form.

'Rhetoric' is not a quote from anything I wrote, adding something like that is either a desperate attempt to bolster your point or inept writing.

How can you judge my statements as 'shallow' in my little snippet of words without having a deeper discussion on the topic.

Simple, your initial post had little to no justification for your multiple assertions, a trait your subsequent posts share. It's no one's job but your own to engage in supporting your own point of view. Discussion comes out of questioning. You don't legitimately question anything, you simply throw labels and assertions around and bark about fallacies when being criticized for it. From your initial post:
My take is the following...

It is really the government's responsibility to enforce laws and environmental regulations. It's a little disingenuous for the BBC to lay all the blame at Apple's feet...

[socio-econoimic problems] must be solved at the governmental level and at the intra-governmental level...

[it's] unfair targeting just one company...

If you are offended by this documentary then you should literally not buy the majority of goods on the shelves of your local stores in Western countries. Let's not be naive

So you've given us all your answers/conclusions with no understanding as to why or how you got there and anyone who doesn't follow the same line of thinking is cast as "naive" by you. Qualifying this as discussion is an insult to the meaning of the word.

My ad-hiominem attacks reflect self-righteous and self-described 'condescension' in your own writing.

An easy way to test this idea is to look at your interactions with others instead of just myself. I've already pointed to how you've broadly labeled others that disagree with your assertions as "naive," but this is an ad hominem you've used in specific posts as well, with me and TimelessOne. You've also labeled Lankyman as unobjective for failing to agree with you. In fact it seems your general engagement with opposing views is less respectable than your constant indignation would have us believe.

The only agenda I have is to question your claims, but I think you are doing a far better job casting doubt on them than me, by repeatedly engaging in attempts at deriding my character (shown above) while failing to buttress any part of your argument.

Perfect 'straw-man'. The statement I made was, "Why is the BBC focussing on Apple as if this was all the responsibility of Apple.

Well that's a straw-man. Simply because they focus on Apple it does not follow that they are implying it is "all" the responsibility of Apple. They are simply questioning Apples responsibility given its financial stake in creating the problem and in its stated intentions to do better which seems not only reasonable but fair.

It's a little disingenuous for the BBC to lay all the blame at Apple's feet."

This is a straw-man as well. They don't lay all the blame at Apple's feet. There are more than a few references to other tech companies doing the same thing as well as discussion about the lack of government regulation and oversight. Apple is simply the focus of the piece. Having focus allows detail to be given and understood as opposed to broad blanket assertions (you know about those).

Can you tell me where I've said that it is not the job of corporations to have oversight and only the job of governments, as you state?

Another straw-man. I didn't state that you said it was "only" the job of governments but it's fair to say you minimize the responsibility of corporations. See below:

Apple is not a government...These are large scale socio-economic problems that cannot be solved by one company. They must be solved at the governmental level and at the intra-governmental level.
Am I mistaken is saying that it is the job of governments to uphold laws and environmental regulations?

Straw-man. It is also the responsibility of citizens, corporate or otherwise to follow them.
Where have I said that large transnational corporations shouldn't be scrutinized?

You clearly show very little sympathy with the scrutiny of Apple and bemoan the fact they are when you state:
These are large scale socio-economic problems that cannot be solved by one company. They must be solved at the governmental level and at the intra-governmental level.

If you are offended by this documentary then you should literally not buy the majority of goods on the shelves of your local stores in Western countries. Let's not be naive.

You're talk about Apple's role in shaping government policy is ad-hoc at best. You're shifting context to create new meaning.

This doesn't fall under ad-hoc, maybe you mean irrelevant. In either case, you're the one that wants to focus on governmental responsibility. How is the inclusion of ways in which corporations influence governmental oversight and regulation outside the purview? You might as well say, I'd like to understand how the earth revolves around the sun without knowing anything about gravity.

I admonished the BBC for unfairly targeting Apple (it could have been any company) without targeting any other 'stakeholders' of the problems that they raised. There's clearly an ethical issue here. Where is the fallacy? My point is that the issue is far greater than attributing blame to a single stakeholder.
The fallacy, as has already been pointed out to you, is the ad hominem you are making against the speaker. In this case the BBC. Simply because the BBC focuses on the wrongdoing of one wrongdoer does not mean it is excusing other wrong-doing or wrong-doers, pointing to this is simply a way for you to try and dismiss the credibility of the speaker without giving consideration to what is said.

It is not the job of every piece of journalism that unearths wrong doing to cover that kind of wrong doing in the same detail across all cases of its uses or else it some how loses its validity. Your charge that the piece is "sensational" or of lower standards, "accuracy," "nuance," "fairness," etc is nonsensical and ridiculous.

I'm not defending Apple.

Whitewashing would probably be a more apt description.
It's a little hypocritical of you, given that you describe your own writing as condescending, to accuse me of casting insults. And don't try and cast your so-called 'challenge' as anything more than a self-rightous attempt to project yourself as 'holier than thou'...The characteristics of the documentary and your own standards line up 100%

Again you're attributing quotes to me that don't exist and you're conflating an understanding of condescending (as in, being beneath oneself, acting superior) with an ad hominem attack. They are two separate things and different. Given the number of times you've linked the definition of ad hominem one might think you've actually read it by now. One attacks the speaker (ad hominem) in place of an argument, while the other neither attacks the speaker nor refuses to engage in argument it just simply notifies the reader that the discourse doesn't engage at a meaningful level.

This disposition shouldn't surprise you given your refusal to defend much if any of the assertions you've made. Your posts routinely question character before they ever question argument as evidenced above and throughout this thread.

If you'd like to attribute anything to my standards you might notice the way I hold myself accountable for what I've said and my tendency to malign arguments before people.

Last edited:

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
As was already explained to you, simply because a question is not phrased in a manner to your liking, does mean the content of what the question is asking is without merit. This is not a difficult distinction to make, if you are able to grasp the difference between content and form.

'Rhetoric' is not a quote from anything I wrote, adding something like that is either a desperate attempt to bolster your point or inept writing.

We've already gone over this. It is disingenuous of you to claim you are asking legitimate questions when in reality they are statements in the form of rhetorical questions. You're not looking for answers in any of this. The fact that you self-describe your so-called 'questions' as 'condescending' implies that you understand the arrogance of your method. No one wants to engage in a substantive discussion with such people. To use your own words, "this is not a difficult distinction to make".

Simple, your initial post had little to no justification for your multiple assertions, a trait your subsequent posts share. It's no one's job but your own to engage in supporting your own point of view. Discussion comes out of questioning. You don't legitimately question anything, you simply throw labels and assertions around and bark about fallacies when being criticized for it. From your initial post:

So I should write a thesis in a discussion forum to back up my statements so you can have your justifications when it's amply clear my argument is against the journalistic standards of the BBC documentary for singling out a single stakeholder in all of this. Ask legitimate questions and you can have your legitimate discussion. And I did ask legitimate questions. You didn't like the questions and because I asked them you accused me of whitewashing Apple's responsbility and started off your rant with, "Are you so naive...." However, these are all assumptions that you've made. And since you made these assumptions you asked rhetorical questions.

So you've given us all your answers/conclusions with no understanding as to why or how you got there and anyone who doesn't follow the same line of thinking is cast as "naive" by you. Qualifying this as discussion is an insult to the meaning of the word.

I got there by watching the documentary and asking a very simple question backed up by facts. You're certainly entitled to your viewpoint as you try to undermine a clear positions I've taken.

An easy way to test this idea is to look at your interactions with others instead of just myself. I've already pointed to how you've broadly labeled others that disagree with your assertions as "naive," but this is an ad hominem you've used in specific posts as well, with me and TimelessOne. You've also labeled Lankyman as unobjective for failing to agree with you. In fact it seems your general engagement with opposing views is less respectable than your constant indignation would have us believe.

Look in the mirror. Again you try and undermine me by shifting context. Why don't you stick to the interactions between you and I. It's very clear that you have a clear penchant for intellectual dishonesty.

The only agenda I have is to question your claims, but I think you are doing a far better job casting doubt on them than me, by repeatedly engaging in attempts at deriding my character (shown above) while failing to buttress any part of your argument.

Ask legitimate, non (self-described) condescending, non-rhetorical questions and I would be happy to engage in productive discussion. Be disingenuous and arrogant about what your are doing and you'll get the appropriate response. No one likes bullies. Especially ones that clearly think too highly of themselves.

Well that's a straw-man. Simply because they focus on Apple it does not follow that they are implying it is "all" the responsibility of Apple. They are simply questioning Apples responsibility given its financial stake in creating the problem and in its stated intentions to do better which seems not only reasonable but fair.

The title of the documentary is 'Apple's Broken Promises'. The entire documentary focuses on Apple as the primary driver of these issues. This is simply wrong. On the other hand, I also clearly stated in my initial post, "On the other hand Apple has set itself up as a target by publishing standards that it clearly cannot adhere to or force the suppliers to implement." Something that you totally ignored in your initial response.

This is a straw-man as well. They don't lay all the blame at Apple's feet. There are more than a few references to other tech companies doing the same thing as well as discussion about the lack of government regulation and oversight. Apple is simply the focus of the piece. Having focus allows detail to be given and understood as opposed to broad blanket assertions (you know about those).

What other tech companies are named in passing (other then Apple suppliers)? Can you be more specific? I understand that Apple is the focus of the piece. However, you're not putting yourself in Apple's shoes. How would you like to be targetted in this way. Apple is the most transparent multi-national when it comes to these issues. And because they are the most transparent the BBC used that to target them. Ethics? In my view the documentary could have been less targeted and still maintain focus on the issues that it raised.

Another straw-man. I didn't state that you said it was "only" the job of governments but it's fair to say you minimize the responsibility of corporations. See below:

Quoting you: "Further you state it is not the job of corporations but governments to have oversight...". Kindly read your own writing before contradicting yourself. How am I minimizing the role of corporations? The documentary is focussed on a corporation and I am calling into question why the documentary is not also focussing at other substantial stakeholders. You clearly emote a strong bias on this.

Straw-man. It is also the responsibility of citizens, corporate or otherwise to follow them.

Again you are making false inferences and assuming that I am claiming that Apple is not also responsible. I am not. It is convenient for you to paint me with that brush because it allows you to pursue your argument that I am whitewashing Apple. I'm not whitewashing Apple. I'm asking the BBC to be balanced in it's reporting.

You clearly show very little sympathy with the scrutiny of Apple and bemoan the fact they are when you state:

Again, don't project your assumptions onto me as if they are valid. The BBC made the documentary and targeted Apple as the primary stakeholder in all of this. I clearly called Apple out in my initial statement by stating that Apple painted a target on it's back by not being able to uphold it's own supplier-standards. That doesn't mean that the BBC is beyond reproach in publishing a sensationalized and unbalanced piece of journalism.

This doesn't fall under ad-hoc, maybe you mean irrelevant. In either case, you're the one that wants to focus on governmental responsibility. How is the inclusion of ways in which corporations influence governmental oversight and regulation outside the purview? You might as well say, I'd like to understand how the earth revolves around the sun without knowing anything about gravity.

You are using your argument for corporate influence on government oversight as a scapegoat for the BBC's lack of balance. I haven't focused on governmental responsibility solely. I have called into question why it isn't raised as a major concern in the documentary. You're the one that talks about focus so stay focussed.

The fallacy, as has already been pointed out to you, is the ad hominem you are making against the speaker. In this case the BBC. Simply because the BBC focuses on the wrongdoing of one wrongdoer does not mean it is excusing other wrong-doing or wrong-doers, pointing to this is simply a way for you to try and dismiss the credibility of the speaker without giving consideration to what is said.

LOL, ad-hominem against the BBC! The BBC is the publisher of this documentary. It's making the accusations. So to ask for a higher standard of journalism by asking the BBC to be fair and balanced as a journalistic organization is considered by you as an ad-homiem attack? That's a little hypocritical. I've never stated that the BBC's documentary is not credible. This is another straw-man.

It is not the job of every piece of journalism that unearths wrong doing to cover that kind of wrong doing in the same detail across all cases of its uses or else it some how loses its validity. Your charge that the piece is "sensational" or of lower standards, "accuracy," "nuance," "fairness," etc is nonsensical and ridiculous.

Whitewashing would probably be a more apt description.

No, it's ridiculous of you to state that 'sensationalized' and 'unbalanced' journalism is acceptable. If the BBC wants to make a point it should do it in an honest way. Maybe you should take a few journalism classes.

Again you're attributing quotes to me that don't exist and you're conflating an understanding of condescending (as in, being beneath oneself, acting superior) with an ad hominem attack. They are two separate things and different. Given the number of times you've linked the definition of ad hominem one might think you've actually read it by now. One attacks the speaker (ad hominem) in place of an argument, while the other neither attacks the speaker nor refuses to engage in argument it just simply notifies the reader that the discourse doesn't engage at a meaningful level.

This disposition shouldn't surprise you given your refusal to defend much if any of the assertions you've made. Your posts routinely question character before they ever question argument as evidenced above and throughout this thread.

If you'd like to attribute anything to my standards you might notice the way I hold myself accountable for what I've said and my tendency to malign arguments before people.

LOL, accountable... malign arguments before people...! Don't fool yourself. You're entire rant against me started of with the line, "Are you so naive as to think...." The fact is since it is the BBC that has made the accusations, it is the BBC that needs to defend itself and be accountable. But you are welcome to be the lap-dog and brown noser in defence of the BBC if you so wish. Please project your biases elsewhere.

Last edited:

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012
It is disingenuous of you to claim you are asking legitimate questions when in reality they are statements in the form of rhetorical questions..

At this point you are either unwilling or unable to make the distinction between a rhetorical question and a condescendingly phrased one. The benefit to you of this failure (in either case) is that you don't have to account for the questions themselves you can simply prattle on, making the question the issue instead of the content of what it is asking.

So I should write a thesis in a discussion forum to back up my statements so you can have your justifications when it's amply clear my argument is against the journalistic standards of the BBC documentary for singling out a single stakeholder in all of this. Ask legitimate questions and you can have your legitimate discussion. And I did ask legitimate questions. You didn't like the questions and because I asked them you accused me of whitewashing Apple's responsbility and started off your rant with, "Are you so naive...." However, these are all assumptions that you've made. And since you made these assumptions you asked rhetorical questions.

Again you're retreating to attacking the speaker - both me and the BBC and failing to justify why it's such a journalistic problem for a 1hr news show to focus on one of the biggest financial supporters of the problem they are covering. Further your straw man about being asked to justify your position is not requesting a dissertation on the subject - far from it. You've failed to move beyond pointing the finger at others as the main line of defense for your position which has already been pointed out to you as untenable, many times, in many ways. But by now people can read your posts and decide for themselves since it is clear you're unable or unwilling to articulate a position beyond an idea that Apple's competitors share a similar guilt as if it makes a difference in the guilt of Apple or the validity in the coverage of it.

I got there by watching the documentary and asking a very simple question backed up by facts. You're certainly entitled to your viewpoint as you try to undermine a clear positions I've taken.

Asserting falsehoods like the BBC is biased is not quite the same as arguing a truth.

Look in the mirror. Again you try and undermine me by shifting context. Why don't you stick to the interactions between you and I. It's very clear that you have a clear penchant for intellectual dishonesty.

You're the one that is claiming foul as the reason you've cast insults at me - as if I were a special case. It's easy to see by your interactions with others in this thread that I am not. If there is "intellectual dishonesty" you are certainly guilty of it here.

Ask legitimate, non (self-described) condescending, non-rhetorical questions and I would be happy to engage in productive discussion. Be disingenuous and arrogant about what your are doing and you'll get the appropriate response. No one likes bullies. Especially ones that clearly think too highly of themselves.

Again we come back to your inability to distinguish between rhetorical and condescending. They are not the same. A condescendingly asked question is still a question.

The title of the documentary is 'Apple's Broken Promises'. The entire documentary focuses on Apple as the primary driver of these issues. This is simply wrong.

This is a great example of your typically blanket, and unsupported assertions. How is it wrong? Why is it wrong? Show a counter example that does it right. How could it have been done better? To your premise, how is focus bad, or ethically flawed? How does casting a wider net give greater detail if there's less time to get into detail by virtue of the added scope? How does focus exclude others in a detrimental way? I could go on, the point is you don't engage any of that in any serious way. You'd rather just malign me or the BBC, complain about nonsequitors like the focus on Apple or tell us that being bothered to justified your assertions is akin to writing a thesis.
What other tech companies are named in passing (other then Apple suppliers)? Can you be more specific? I understand that Apple is the focus of the piece. However, you're not putting yourself in Apple's shoes. How would you like to be targetted in this way. Apple is the most transparent multi-national when it comes to these issues. And because they are the most transparent the BBC used that to target them. Ethics?

There are plenty of times the BBC points out when things are an industry wide problem vs being an Apple only problem. This shouldn't be controversial to you, assuming you made it to the end. If you need a reference re-watch it.

It's stupefying to see someone write about putting themselves in the shoes of a multinational conglomerate worth billions of dollars, begging for consideration of their feelings and not the wellbeing of the people that work for them.

As far as their transparency feel free to link whatever most transparent list you're talking about - if you recall Apple declined to be interviewed by the BBC.

This (http://www.carnegiecouncil.org/publications/ethics_online/0068.html) is from 2 years ago, too bad it looks exactly the same as today. The BBC didn't use or manipulate any transparency on the part of Apple, they simply questioned it. FYI every billion dollar company is going to have a corporate responsibility puff piece to cite - it's what they pay lawyers and PR firms to do. Apple didn't give them a guided tour of the factories they use, they had undercover cameras etc. Your assertion is ludicrous.

How am I minimizing the role of corporations?

How many times does someone need to quote you before you acknowledge what you've said? Read your own words:

[socio-econoimic problems] must be solved at the governmental level and at the intra-governmental level...If you are offended by this documentary then you should literally not buy the majority of goods on the shelves of your local stores in Western countries. Let's not be naive

The documentary is focussed on a corporation and I am calling into question why the documentary is not also focussing at other substantial stakeholders. You clearly emote a strong bias on this.

Your use of the term stakeholders is quite limited and limiting. Workers, consumers, and the communities impacted by these violations are also stakeholders.

What you've called into question is the ethics of the BBC for not focusing on other transgressors which is just a way for you to attack the speaker (BBC) while disregarding the wrong doing they are focusing on. The fact there are others breaking the law is irrelevant (red herring) and distracts from the topic at hand - Apple's broken promises. This is not bias but consideration. They live in a world of limited resources and have to make choices on what is most important to cover and what are the best ways to cover them.

As I've already said:

A dead horse is a dead horse, you can stick your head in the sand it doesn't make the sun stop shining.

Again you are making false inferences and assuming that I am claiming that Apple is not also responsible...It is convenient for you to paint me with that brush because it allows you to pursue your argument that I am whitewashing Apple.

A straw-man. I've accused you of minimizing i.e. whitewashing Apple. That does not mean you are not placing some blame on Apple. Use a dictionary if you're unfamiliar with the term.

I'm asking the BBC to be balanced in it's reporting.

Simply because there are multiple sides to a story does not mean they are of equal weight. I fail to see how focusing on other companies and their broken promises is relevant to Apple's broken promises which this documentary is about. Again with the dead horse.

You are using your argument for corporate influence on government oversight as a scapegoat for the BBC's lack of balance. I haven't focused on governmental responsibility solely. I have called into question why it isn't raised as a major concern in the documentary.

Actually I questioned your interest, I did not present an argument. (Again with your problem of referencing anything I write.) You're writing was consumed by the governmental responsibility issue as if the government is a separate object outside the reach of corporate influence. I'm all for the idea of addressing the lack of government oversight or regulation just not in some neutered fashion that doesn't consider how a corporation like Apple might influence it - if that is (and it seems to be) what you're suggesting.

I've never stated that the BBC's documentary is not credible.

No, it's ridiculous of you to state that 'sensationalized' and 'unbalanced' journalism is acceptable. If the BBC wants to make a point it should do it in an honest way. Maybe you should take a few journalism classes.

Wow. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Last edited:

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
What rubbish. You trust the BBC, which is another money grabbing corporation just like any other.

British Broadcasting CORPORATION. :rolleyes:

Money grabbing? It sells no adverts and is funded by a license fee. Hardly money grabbing, although it is a corporation.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
What rubbish. You trust the BBC, which is another money grabbing corporation just like any other.

The American English definition for corporation is different to that used in proper English. The UK would use company in the same way the US uses corporation.

Corporation an older English word denoting a lawful entity created by charter. At the time the BBC was created it was commonly used for other similar bodies like Local Government before they got re-organised in the 1970s and rechristened as Councils. For example : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_City_Council

Don't assume that your bastardisation of our language is always correct. :p

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England

owned by the british public you numpty its none profit, silly boy.

get it into you're head we have some socialism in this country.

The BBC spends most of its money trying to act in the interest of its owners the UK public for instance

The open golf championship is on the BBC
premierleague Highlights & the Fa Cup is on the BBC
wimbledon is on the BBC
The Grand National is on the BBC
and there are others

Last edited:

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
owned by the british public you numpty its none profit, silly boy.

get it into you're head we have some socialism in this country.

The BBC spends most of its money trying to act in the interest of its owners the UK public for instance
No it acts in the interests of the british government predominantly, its news reporting is hardly unbiased is it? And its refusal to only recognise only 4 out of the all the political parties in the upcoming general election is abhorrent.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
No it acts in the interests of the british government predominantly, its news reporting is hardly unbiased is it? And its refusal to only recognise only 4 out of the all the political parties in the upcoming general election is abhorrent.

Lies a select committee of politicians on boths sides of the house prevent bias unlike america where its disgustingly biased one way or another.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Lies a select committee of politicians on boths sides of the house prevent bias unlike america where its disgustingly biased one way or another.

I'd have to disagree here. In Scotland the BBC news output is biased towards the left. The main BBC news appears right wing orientated. It has been said that UKIP would have no MPs if not for the coverage they've received. This is perhaps because the news policy is to run with whatever is in the Daily Mail or Telegraph. Note that the author of this article is a BBC employee http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/06/bbc-obsessed-agenda-daily-mail-robert-peston-charles-wheeler

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010

But they're intentionally leaving some parties out, despite the license fee payers saying they want them included.

I guess its a small scale thing in comparison they've been covering up for paedophiles for the last 40 odd years too.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
But they're intentionally leaving some parties out, despite the license fee payers saying they want them included.

I guess its a small scale thing in comparison they've been covering up for paedophiles for the last 40 odd years too.

all i know is its far better then the american free for all

----------

I'd have to disagree here. In Scotland the BBC news output is biased towards the left. The main BBC news appears right wing orientated. It has been said that UKIP would have no MPs if not for the coverage they've received. This is perhaps because the news policy is to run with whatever is in the Daily Mail or Telegraph. Note that the author of this article is a BBC employee http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...enda-daily-mail-robert-peston-charles-wheeler

try the american system you scots are mostly socialists so you have murdoch bombarding you with uncontrolled biased anti socialist media, if you think hes doing that now go and watch fox news, thats the alternative to the bbc.

it might not be totally fair but its far better then the alternative, and unfortunately right now UKIP have a market a Fear market which is big news on any level

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.