Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbuk72

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Just wondering if anyone else in the U.K. has noticed that all BBC iPlayer shows are no longer showing up on the tv app when you are running TvOS 15 on the Apple TV. They were listed in the “Up Next” area when I was on TvOS 14.

I did raise this on feedback FB9505149 but nothing has changed. It’s not the end of the world but it was so convenient when you could track what you were watching along with all the other apps that work with the TV App. It’s easier to track when all your shows are in the one place.

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
what's even more strange is if you set Home Screen top shelf in the tv app settings to Up Next is that player content will show up on there. I am assuming that the iPlayer app is going to need an update. I also fed this back previously

jbuk72

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
what's even more strange is if you set Home Screen top shelf in the tv app settings to Up Next is that player content will show up on there. I am assuming that the iPlayer app is going to need an update. I also fed this back previously

Hey thanks for this tip. I’ll give it a try today. I don’t normally have up next on the Home Screen but willing to give it a try.

Braindome

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2016
I've been annoyed by this problem for the past few weeks. Some programmes do show in the TV app, but some don't. I found that removing shows from my list, and then re-adding them did at least temporarily fix most of them. I don't think the BBC are particularly interested in updating and improving their Apple TV app, so don't expect a fix any time soon :(

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Same here. I noticed this just having updated to TVOS

really annoying!

Interesting you can see it properly if its on the top shelf… but not inside the app.

Reactions: Braindome

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
Does the same for the the iPadOS and iOS Apple TV app. Doesn’t show in the app, but does in the widget!

I tried disconnecting the BBC app from the Apple TV app, logging out of my Apple ID in the Apple TV app, deleting the BBC iPlayer app - then doing it all in reverse. Same.

jbuk72

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Does the same for the the iPadOS and iOS Apple TV app. Doesn’t show in the app, but does in the widget!

I tried disconnecting the BBC app from the Apple TV app, logging out of my Apple ID in the Apple TV app, deleting the BBC iPlayer app - then doing it all in reverse. Same.

I just get the feeling the BBC iPlayer is moving away from supporting the unified view you get from the watch now page in the TV app.

It been a long time since it showed any programmes in the recently watched row at the bottom of the watch now page.

Now with TvOS 15 and iOS 15 there are no programmes showing in the up next row. This still works correctly on my other Apple TV as it’s still on iOS 14.

Just seems like the BBC are not bothered about fixing any of the ongoing issues. We can only hope they read the bug/feedback reports submitted via the iPlayer help section.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
To add to this... seems Channel 4's app is also a bit wrecked now.

Stuff isn't appearing on Up Next (though does via iOS strangely unlike iPlayer)

But still just doesn't work.

Who beta tests this? Surely someone pointed this out ages ago??

jbuk72

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
To add to this... seems Channel 4's app is also a bit wrecked now.

Stuff isn't appearing on Up Next (though does via iOS strangely unlike iPlayer)

But still just doesn't work.

Who beta tests this? Surely someone pointed this out ages ago??

I reported it during the beta. I’m not involved in the iPlayer beta. It no longer accepts testers in TestFlight. On a side note I’ve not seen any issues with All 4. I will be keeping an eye on it.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I reported it during the beta. I’m not involved in the iPlayer beta. It no longer accepts testers in TestFlight. On a side note I’ve not seen any issues with All 4. I will be keeping an eye on it.
in infuriating that issues found in beta remain unresolved to public release.

Is this an issue with iOS15 or iplayer?

Im assuming its iPlayer as other apps like Disney+ seem to be unaffected.

Reactions: orbital~debris

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I just got a new TV and noticed the UHD trial isn't available in the tvOS version of iPlayer.

I had to sign-in to the TV's embedded iPlayer app to view the last episode of Vigil in UHD, and when I paused it it didn't appear in the Up Next on my tv or iOS devices.

So from that I'd say the iOS/tvOS integration with iPlayer is partially broken.

This would be a good opportunity for Apple to apply some nudging to the BBC to get them to adhere to the standard features in their apps (i.e. please do so or get booted off the App Store…).

jbuk72

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
I just got a new TV and noticed the UHD trial isn't available in the tvOS version of iPlayer.

I had to sign-in to the TV's embedded iPlayer app to view the last episode of Vigil in UHD, and when I paused it it didn't appear in the Up Next on my tv or iOS devices.

So from that I'd say the iOS/tvOS integration with iPlayer is partially broken.

This would be a good opportunity for Apple to apply some nudging to the BBC to get them to adhere to the standard features in their apps (i.e. please do so or get booted off the App Store…).

Oh I never knew Vigil was in UHD. Will have a look on the iPlayer app on my LG tv.

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
I just noticed this bug as well and thought I’d have a look on here to see if anyone else had the problem, glad it’s not just me.

I don’t get any iPlayer shows on my ‘Up Next’ List on my iPhone or iPad within the TV app. iPlayer shows do appear on my ‘Up Next’ List on my AppleTV on the Top Shelf on the Home Screen but not within the TV app itself.

All my devices are on iPadOS 15/iOS 15/tvOS 15.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
The 'workaround' that ONLY works on the AppleTV and not the iOS/iPadOS apps is to rely on the 'top shelf' thing assuming you have the TV app on the top shelf which I guess most people would.
Using the top shelf you can still see the iPlayer content and scroll to it and select as normal.... just dont go into the TV app itself.

Im so surprised that this was picked up though the Beta and reported yet ignored and allowed to go wrong when iOS15 went live. They had 3 months to fix this yet have ignored it.

On the positive side.. I would see AppleTV as slightly niche and ignorable for them... but the fact that iPlayer content no longer displays in up next on the iPhone and iPad should mean they fix it sooner rather than later.

I left a 1 star review for iPlayer on the app store for this to try to bring attention to the problem. I was then asked to email the iPlayer development team directly which I have now done.. however im pretty sure that this has been fed back to them many times by now.

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I have just left a review also of the iplayer app in the hope of another stating issues may get it looked at.

May have to do the same for All 4 they have similar issues for content being added from inside their app but start their content from within the TV app and it shows up!

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
i dont think that iPlayer is the only one with issues but its the most visibly not working I guess

Interesting question really. Whose fault is it. Im guessing Apple's as they must have changed something in iOS15 thats broken these apps... however its in Apple's best interest to keep all these apps working with the TV app as thats the whole point of the thing.

You'd have thought that if any changes were deliberately made in iOS15 that Apple would have engaged directly and separately with the developers of the streaming services to ensure that they were working correctly.

I assume therefore that given this stopped working in iOS15 that there is an issue Apple's end with this and its not really the fault of iPlayer etc however things like Disney and Prime still seem to work OK.

Im guessing there is an imminent 15.1 version as there always is about a week in from release to fix some bugs and hopefully this will be sorted soon.

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
i dont think that iPlayer is the only one with issues but its the most visibly not working I guess

Interesting question really. Whose fault is it. Im guessing Apple's as they must have changed something in iOS15 thats broken these apps... however its in Apple's best interest to keep all these apps working with the TV app as thats the whole point of the thing.

You'd have thought that if any changes were deliberately made in iOS15 that Apple would have engaged directly and separately with the developers of the streaming services to ensure that they were working correctly.

I assume therefore that given this stopped working in iOS15 that there is an issue Apple's end with this and its not really the fault of iPlayer etc however things like Disney and Prime still seem to work OK.

Im guessing there is an imminent 15.1 version as there always is about a week in from release to fix some bugs and hopefully this will be sorted soon.
As I say all4 is another that I see the adding to up next issue. currently the 15.1 beta does not fix the issue which probably means that something has been changed in the api's the developers use. But as iplayer has received no tvOS updates since 2020 they wouldn't have been implemented. Having said that the iOS version was updated yesterday but still fails to add to the tv app on iOS 15. I did roll back my appletv hd to 14.7 and all the BBC and All4 programs are showing up!

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
As I say all4 is another that I see the adding to up next issue. currently the 15.1 beta does not fix the issue which probably means that something has been changed in the api's the developers use. But as iplayer has received no tvOS updates since 2020 they wouldn't have been implemented. Having said that the iOS version was updated yesterday but still fails to add to the tv app on iOS 15. I did roll back my appletv hd to 14.7 and all the BBC and All4 programs are showing up!
I noticed this too.

Last week All4 spectacularly wasn't working and I had to resort to the Fire Stick to watch.... but it was back to being OK the next day.

The only saving grace right now is the weird thing where the top shelf menu thing works correctly so the key for iPlayer programmes on the AppleTV is to not go into the app at all.

I thought the same yesterday with iPlayer updated on the iPhone but sadly it didnt fix the issue.

Calumma

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2020
I noticed this too.

Last week All4 spectacularly wasn't working and I had to resort to the Fire Stick to watch.... but it was back to being OK the next day.

The only saving grace right now is the weird thing where the top shelf menu thing works correctly so the key for iPlayer programmes on the AppleTV is to not go into the app at all.

I thought the same yesterday with iPlayer updated on the iPhone but sadly it didnt fix the issue
For me it’s Prime that no longer shows in the up next row.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
This does feel like its a TVOS problem given that its across all the iOS platforms too.

Anyone here on the Beta programme.... trialling 15.1? Has this been fixed or can this be fed back to apple as a bug please?

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
I reset my Apple TV HD back to 14.7 from 15.1 beta 1 and as 15.1 didn't resolve it. They released beta 2 yesterday however I've not updated back to this. I have however updated my iPad to iPadOS 15.1 beta 2 and the tv app still doesn't fill BBC programming in the up next. The bug report I sent on the 16th is still open and showing that other users are reporting.

it may be an app programming issue opposed to a tvOS issue. The way the up next is handled from apps could have been altered and thus not working for apps which have not been updated.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I reset my Apple TV HD back to 14.7 from 15.1 beta 1 and as 15.1 didn't resolve it. They released beta 2 yesterday however I've not updated back to this. I have however updated my iPad to iPadOS 15.1 beta 2 and the tv app still doesn't fill BBC programming in the up next. The bug report I sent on the 16th is still open and showing that other users are reporting.

it may be an app programming issue opposed to a tvOS issue. The way the up next is handled from apps could have been altered and thus not working for apps which have not been updated.
you might be right but this is inexcusable if true.

You'd have thought that if that were the case that apple would have contacted the app developers in question and informed them of the behind the scenes changes and how to update their apps accordingly.
Maybe they did this and that's why the likes of Disney+ and Prime video are still working fine.

Its not as if there are thousands of apps that integrate with the TV app - there's only a finite number in each country and in the case of the UK its Disney, Prime, iPlayer, All4, My5, ITV hub, UKTV play, Britbox. These could have been easily handled ahead of TV/iOS release with the 3 month lead time.

I must admit, iPlayer is the main culprit here, but to be fair I've noticed that ITV hub is also missing shows and All4 too. Channel 4 are having some big problems at the moment very publicly so there is a backend IT issue there.
I don't accept that My5 is still working fine (as it appears to be) and ITV and iPlayer are not.

Disheartening to see the 15.1 beta hasn't fixed this. I really rely on the TV app and use it every day and when shows are not appearing on it then its really complicated to keep track of things properly.

Reactions: jbuk72

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
It looks like the BBC are aware of the issue as it's now listed under the Known Issues section of the BBC iPlayer Help Page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 12.59.22.png

Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 12.58.47.png

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Reactions: Vado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.