Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
It is good to see the BBC are recognising the issue and is working with Apple. Maybe Apple will inform others that their app isn't working properly. Did notice that NowTV & Disney+ had updates on appletv today so hoped it may bring an influx of updates to streaming apps.

Though itv updated their iOS app but no updates to tvOS so far.

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
Thanks @Vado

Nice to see its been acknowledged.

A shame it came to this i.e. being broken as they had plenty of time to check things in the iOS / TVOS beta but hey.

Just hope it will be quickly fixed.

No problem @stocklen

Just hope they get it fixed quickly as well.

It is good to see the BBC are recognising the issue and is working with Apple. Maybe Apple will inform others that their app isn't working properly. Did notice that NowTV & Disney+ had updates on appletv today so hoped it may bring an influx of updates to streaming apps.

Though itv updated their iOS app but no updates to tvOS so far.
Think you are casking a bit much of App there unfortunately.....it would be nice to think that would happen in an ideal world!

I haven't had any problems with All4 or UKTV Play shows being added to the Up Next shelf.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm still getting push notifications from the TV app for BBC shows absolutely fine.

Also hats the deal with NowTV content showing within the TV app but not actually connecting to it via the Connected App section? Sorry for the small rant!

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
No problem @stocklen

Just hope they get it fixed quickly as well.

Think you are casking a bit much of App there unfortunately.....it would be nice to think that would happen in an ideal world!

I haven't had any problems with All4 or UKTV Play shows being added to the Up Next shelf.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm still getting push notifications from the TV app for BBC shows absolutely fine.

All4 is a bizarre one for me. Watch from inside the TV app it adds but watch from the All4 app and it doesn't.

UKTV, Disney+, Amazon Prime all seem to be playing nicely for me.

Yes I am still getting the notifications for BBC also and my Apple TV on tvos14.7 the up next works fine for BBC programming.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Right now its just a mess.

An inexcusable mess to be honest.

For some reason im watching a lot of stuff across a lot of services right now and my experience is as follows:

BBC iPlayer - totally broken as new content isn't appearing at all in the TV app but some (not all) things are working on "top shelf"

All4 - probably due to their technical issues its also very ropey. Some stuff for me is working OK but some certainly is not and is behaving the same as iPlayer i.e. not appearing in watch next.

ITV Hub - shows notified as available via iOS but not appearing at all in the TV app - only works in. ITV hub itself.

My5 - seems to be working OK.

Prime, Disney+ no issues and working OK.

Untested - Britbox, UKTV play.

Big old steaming pile of doo-doo right now.

First time ive ever regretted updating to a .0 version of iOS/TVOS.

jbuk72

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
BBC iPlayer is now showing up in the up next and the recently watched section of the TV app on iOS 15. Not checked my Apple TV yet.

EDIT: it’s working correctly on TvOS 15 as well. The BBC iPlayer app has not been updated on TvOS so I’m thinking this was a server side issue. Fixed at last!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vado

Vado

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2016
Livingston, United Kingdom
BBC iPlayer is now showing up in the up next and the recently watched section of the TV app on iOS 15. Not checked my Apple TV yet.

EDIT: it’s working correctly on TvOS 15 as well. The BBC iPlayer app has not been updated on TvOS so I’m thinking this was a server side issue. Fixed at last!

Glad the issue has been resolved. I’ve got everything showing as normal on both my iPad and AppleTV both iOS/tvOS 15.

Reactions: jbuk72

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
Right now its just a mess.

An inexcusable mess to be honest.

For some reason im watching a lot of stuff across a lot of services right now and my experience is as follows:

BBC iPlayer - totally broken as new content isn't appearing at all in the TV app but some (not all) things are working on "top shelf"

All4 - probably due to their technical issues its also very ropey. Some stuff for me is working OK but some certainly is not and is behaving the same as iPlayer i.e. not appearing in watch next.

ITV Hub - shows notified as available via iOS but not appearing at all in the TV app - only works in. ITV hub itself.

My5 - seems to be working OK.

Prime, Disney+ no issues and working OK.

Untested - Britbox, UKTV play.

Big old steaming pile of doo-doo right now.

First time ive ever regretted updating to a .0 version of iOS/TVOS.
Worth double checking on your apps now.

As reported by others that BBC content is now showing in up next. I first notice on my iOS devices so check tvOS and they are there.

Then came on here and found others reporting it working again.

Reactions: jbuk72

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Yes, iplayer seems fine now.

However..

ALL4?????

Now it just doesn't work for me at all on my AppleTV!!

Appears on up next but actually playing back shows just hangs.

I know Channel 4 are having problems... and annoyingly I pay for All4+ yet they are fully advert filled at the moment which seems a bit unfair.

however Ive had to switch to my Firestick as its just plain broken on the AppleTV.

Anyone else seen this? perhaps I should reinstall All4.

Scutt

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2018
All4 starts playing the 3 million ads before Grand Designs starts okaying as usual through up next for me.

Might be worth removing and readding All4 however restoring your All4+ might not work as just like on ITV hub when trying to sign up for All4+ it tells me to turn on in app purchases however in my Apple TV settings I don't have any restrictions set on in app purchases!

JO53PHW

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2023
Hello, I know this thread is a few years old. But I'm hoping someone can help or has had a similar issue.
I have noticed certain shows across BBC iPlayer, ITVX and All4 do not pick up the 'next' episode due to having a Festive/Christmas special.

BBC iPlayer - Richard Osman's House of Games and Would I I Lie to You. Both have Christmas editions which show as Episode 101, 102, 103 etc... Due to this any new episodes as part of the new series do not automatically pick up. The system sees 101 and assumes that is the latest. It does not revert back to episode 1,2,3,4 etc.. for the current series.

ITVX - The Masked Singer. Same issue, episode 101 for the 2023 Christmas special overrides any current weekly episodes.

All4 - Hollyoaks. Currently showing series 30 with episodes 28, 29, 30 playing daily. However due to weekly omnibus episodes (marked as ep.1001,10002 and so on) and BSL episodes (marked as 10001,10002). Again the system thinks the higher numbers are the latest shows and does not auto update for the daily ones.

I have tried the usual log out and back into each app, reset Apple TV but nothing works. Only workaround I have found is to keep the latest episode with the last 5 mins of the show so it stays in the up next row. Wait for the newest episode to appear. Then once the next show has been on I will mark the current one 'As Watched' It then does pick up the next/newest show.

Thanks.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Hello, I know this thread is a few years old. But I'm hoping someone can help or has had a similar issue.
I have noticed certain shows across BBC iPlayer, ITVX and All4 do not pick up the 'next' episode due to having a Festive/Christmas special.

BBC iPlayer - Richard Osman's House of Games and Would I I Lie to You. Both have Christmas editions which show as Episode 101, 102, 103 etc... Due to this any new episodes as part of the new series do not automatically pick up. The system sees 101 and assumes that is the latest. It does not revert back to episode 1,2,3,4 etc.. for the current series.

ITVX - The Masked Singer. Same issue, episode 101 for the 2023 Christmas special overrides any current weekly episodes.

All4 - Hollyoaks. Currently showing series 30 with episodes 28, 29, 30 playing daily. However due to weekly omnibus episodes (marked as ep.1001,10002 and so on) and BSL episodes (marked as 10001,10002). Again the system thinks the higher numbers are the latest shows and does not auto update for the daily ones.

I have tried the usual log out and back into each app, reset Apple TV but nothing works. Only workaround I have found is to keep the latest episode with the last 5 mins of the show so it stays in the up next row. Wait for the newest episode to appear. Then once the next show has been on I will mark the current one 'As Watched' It then does pick up the next/newest show.

Thanks.
youve just answered your own question.

I have the exact same problem but the problem isnt with Apple at all - its with the metadata they are supplied by the individual streaming companies.

Of course, when the BBC decide to number their Christmas Special as episode '101' then its always going to be the latest.

I have the same issue right now with the Graham Norton Show. I watched the new years special and its called 'episode 101'. Obviously thats now 'marked as watched' but every Friday when a new episode appears.. lets say we are up to episode 20... its never on up next because 20 is less than 101 which is marked as watched.

What I tend to do is just have to remember that Graham Norton is on Friday night, then saturday go to the show whether im ready to start watching or not... then play the first 10 seconds which then marks the latest episode as unwatched and it appears on up next.
Once ive completed the latest episode it then automatically marks the new years episode, 101, as unwatched which is frustrating - so I long press and mark as watched but then back to square one as next weeks new episode will not appear.

Nothing can change unless or until the BBC or other providers stop messing about with episode numbers.... why on earth the new years specials couldnt have been given the next number in sequence rather than 101 baffles me but causes these issues.

• Wow
Reactions: orbital~debris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.