Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Now the 2022 Apple TV supports HLG, the Apple TV should be capable of showing their 4k HDR feeds - can anyone with a 2022 Apple TV confirm this? Have the BBC updated their app to show it - would be nice to not have to use my TV's built in iPlayer app.

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
Now the 2022 Apple TV supports HLG, the Apple TV should be capable of showing their 4k HDR feeds - can anyone with a 2022 Apple TV confirm this? Have the BBC updated their app to show it - would be nice to not have to use my TV's built in iPlayer app.
No its doesn’t support 4K on iplayer,the app was updated the other day but it still only supports 720p max. I emailed the BBC last month and they still play apple for no subtitles or HDR support

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK
No its doesn’t support 4K on iplayer,the app was updated the other day but it still only supports 720p max. I emailed the BBC last month and they still play apple for no subtitles or HDR support

Damn that's a shame, you'd have thought they'd have updated it now the latest ATV supports HLG - that would seemingly be everything they needed to enable it. Crazy to think i've had the support on TV's since around 2016 - then again look at the state of ITV, three major sporting events and they still haven't invested in any 4k support what so ever yet.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Damn that's a shame, you'd have thought they'd have updated it now the latest ATV supports HLG - that would seemingly be everything they needed to enable it. Crazy to think i've had the support on TV's since around 2016
It’s because Apple uses HLS whereas the BBC are using MPEG Dash for their UHD content.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
UK

Bah, seems pointless for Apple then to support HLG when the main broadcaster of HLG content doesn't delivery it in the protocol the Apple TV supports.

The Apple TV is always so close to being the only box you should need and then also so far.

Reactions: zobby

damo2401

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
Bah, seems pointless for Apple then to support HLG when the main broadcaster of HLG content doesn't delivery it in the protocol the Apple TV supports.

The Apple TV is always so close to being the only box you should need and then also so far.
I bought the new Apple TV 4K 2022 model a few weeks ago and the streaming quality on BBC and ITV is garbage. Makes sense now seeing the post here that it only does 720p. TBH, it doesn't even look that good. I have a Samsung QLED TV and the BBC iPlayer app on that looks great in UHD for the World Cup - I'm returning the ATV as it is not worth that premium for inferior quality streaming.

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
I bought the new Apple TV 4K 2022 model a few weeks ago and the streaming quality on BBC and ITV is garbage. Makes sense now seeing the post here that it only does 720p. TBH, it doesn't even look that good. I have a Samsung QLED TV and the BBC iPlayer app on that looks great in UHD for the World Cup - I'm returning the ATV as it is not worth that premium for inferior quality streaming.
Itv has always been rubbish but will change to 1080p when ITV X launches some devices like the Samsung Tv app have been updated it is still the hub on ATV. I am keeping my 2022 as I hardly use iplayer and it’s no big deal to switch to Samsung to watch something in 4k. All other apps seem better on ATV and BT Sport supports Atmos. and HDR

Reactions: damo2401

hancox

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
HLG support came with 2021 ATV4K, and Apple has done diddly squat to make any changes to help it along.

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
The AppleTV is the biggest waste for me as BT sport doesn’t do Atmos and iPlayer isn’t in UHD.

I am using the TV Apps more often.

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
The AppleTV is the biggest waste for me as BT sport doesn’t do Atmos and iPlayer isn’t in UHD.

I am using the TV Apps more often.
Atmos does work on BT Sport it works on my 2021 ATV with my Sonos ARC it does not work with the 2017 ATV neither does HDR which needs the 2021 or 2022 ATV.

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
Atmos does work on BT Sport it works on my 2021 ATV with my Sonos ARC it does not work with the 2017 ATV neither does HDR which needs the 2021 or 2022 ATV.
What?! How?!

Did you have to change any settings as my ‘21 didn’t work during Prem games. I get HDR but my Sony receiver just sees it as Dolby Audio

Last edited:

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
What?! How?!

Did you have to change any settings as my ‘21 didn’t work during Prem games. I get HDR but my Sony receiver just sees it as Dolby Audio
No nothing special ATV set to Auto, Dolby Atmos connects to my LG A1 TV which has eARC enabled and then the eARC port is connected to the Sonos ARC. The LG is set to AUTO for audio pass through and that it ATMOS from all APPs that support it work including BT Sport

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London
No nothing special ATV set to Auto, Dolby Atmos connects to my LG A1 TV which has eARC enabled and then the eARC port is connected to the Sonos ARC. The LG is set to AUTO for audio pass through and that it ATMOS from all APPs that support it work including BT Sport
I have to circle back around to this as a few reviews have said BT Sport isn't in 4k and when doing more research I saw the following:

I honestly don't know how you are getting Atmos when functionally the ATV cannot do it. There is nothing on BT Sport Ultimate to test now, but will love to hear when the season starts again.

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
I have to circle back around to this as a few reviews have said BT Sport isn't in 4k and when doing more research I saw the following:

I honestly don't know how you are getting Atmos when functionally the ATV cannot do it. There is nothing on BT Sport Ultimate to test now, but will love to hear when the season starts again.
Well I get ATMOS as the ARC reports ATMOS and if there is no ATMOS it does not report it, also the BT support page states the Apple TV does support HDR and ATMOS. Those community posts are from 2021 I first noticed ATMOS at the start of this years prem with the Liverpool v Fulham game and had been working ever since for prem and various Champions League games.

Liv1

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2018
If you want to test your setup put on Sale v Ulster rugby and it is playing in HDR and Atmos on my setup, I have a 2021 ATV attached to a Sonos ARC via LG TV and Atmos is playing plus in my other room a 2022 ATV attached to a Samsung Q800B soundbar also playing Atmos so all good here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.