Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I just got an email from the "BBC Store" saying they are closing on 1 Nov 2017, and "any programmes you own will still be available to watch until then...".

Another DRM disaster, as presumably anything anyone bought on their store is going to be completely unplayable after November, thus money and content all goes down the drain.

Yet another reason why I never bought content there in the end (and don't from Apple or anywhere online, either!) that insists on DRM on their (video) content.

Just a heads-up on how bad having content wrapped-up in DRM really is.

(full email below)

BBC Store Is Closing.jpg

jimthing

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Ah, good to know, thanks... It's funny how they didn't mention that on the email they sent out, though.

Wonder if it'll be automatic or people will have to apply to get it.

One cheeky thing they were doing, was broadcast programmes in 1080p (although compressed quite heavily to do so), but then only offer 720p on iPlayer as their best "HD" option, while then selling the download content in the BBC Store in 1080p (of whatever quality). So never offering streaming in 1080p, for those that wanted it.

I suppose there's still always Get iPlayer Automator. ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.