Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Well things are getting odd. I put down a payment for Wiisident Evil 4 last week and they didn't mention anything about ratings or anything. Then when they called to let me know it's in they went on and on about the ratings...never happened before. Wonder what the call will be like for Manhunt :) .

If some loser teen can buy the Anarchist's Cookbook why can't someone buy this game? Jack Bauer does worse every week on 24 getting info from folks :)

Paul

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well things are getting odd. I put down a payment for Wiisident Evil 4 last week and they didn't mention anything about ratings or anything. Then when they called to let me know it's in they went on and on about the ratings...never happened before. Wonder what the call will be like for Manhunt :) .

If some loser teen can buy the Anarchist's Cookbook why can't someone buy this game? Jack Bauer does worse every week on 24 getting info from folks :)

Paul[/QUOTE]
Jack Bauer ripping a man's balls off with a pair of pliers?! Or worse!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
yes........another absurd attempt at adults trying to control what other adults do.

If there was a way they could ensure only adults would play this game it probably wouldn't be outright banned. But age ratings are more or less disregarded by media outlets and parents. Kids will inevitably end up playing this. Even with a total ban! They always find a way.
Which is a total shame, I'm 21 and I would love to play this game (providing it's better than the original, urgh).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm 21 and I would love to play this game

Sounds like your the big kid :p

At 28 I have no desire what so ever to play this - and the thought of children playing this and 'physically' mimicking the actions sickens me to the stomach.

Whilst I invariably don't like censorship - I agree 150% with the BBFC decision.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
so with the rumored AO rating for the US somebody thought itm ight be a smart idea to ask what nintendo stance is on AO games... now guess what: "As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems."

http://kotaku.com/gaming/original/nintendo-nixes-ao-manhunt-270741.php

and before everbody falls into "OMG NO BLOOD IN MORTAL COMBAT .. NINTENDO YOU SUCK" mode, joystiq decided to ask the same question sony and got the answer

"Currently it's SCE's policy not to allow the playback of AO rated content on our systems."
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/20/nintendo-and-sony-wont-touch-manhunt-2-with-ao-rating/

microsoft didn't answer but on the other side that wouldn't help rockstar since manhunt got developed only for wii,ps2, and psp

i wonder what happens if it also get's axed in US retail ... will it still get released in countries over here without such ratings ? or will they don't bother and start porting it to pc to at least get _some_ money ?

edit: personally i'm not really hyped for the game(it's no Wack & Ziki ;) ) and didn't plan buying it but if banning continues i think i might buy it just to prove a fricking point .. but of course i'll wait for the reviews

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
If Manhunt 2 is released was Adult Only game, and Nintendo blocks it...I will be PISSED. Few things that companys can do that upset me that much,there is NO reason for Nintendo to block Manhunt 2 for the Wii. None, zero, nadda! Simply don't sell it to minors!

But no! That would mean parents need to watch their kids, which clearly is too much work!

If either Sony/Nintendo stops it from being released on either system, I will, be very very very upset

-But now, I'm expecting Take Two to dumb the game down!! I want the real thing!

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
At 28 I have no desire what so ever to play this - and the thought of children playing this and 'physically' mimicking the actions sickens me to the stomach.

Whilst I invariably don't like censorship - I agree 150% with the BBFC decision.

How can you agree with the banning of a game? I fully support rating it AO(or the highest European rating)(if the content is worth rating it that, having never played the game I can't personal say, but I'm assuming the content in the game is worth that type of rating)

But why ban it? Movies have this kind of stuff in them, while they don't act it out, it looks real. I find the idea of banning Manhunt 2, BS.

This is another reason Nintendo will hold onto its "kiddie" name...while I agree, and know, everyone can play games like Mario, Link etc...games like Manhunt 2 add a different feel to a console, like its supports all types of gamers. Like you can buy the Wii, and have every type of game to play. NGC had trouble with this...it lost lots of 3rd party support(as did N64), and now Nintendo is saying no to an AAA 3rd party title. They should set it sell for the Wii(at AO rating), and score points with "hardcore" gamers. And if Sony did let it ship, then Nintendo would look even better.

(Now I know how people felt when Nintendo blocked blood from Mortal Kombat for the SNES, and Sega allowed it on the Genesis. Come on Nintendo, take a lesson of Sega, let gamers play their games!.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So what's to become of Manhunt 2 now? I haven't seen such an outright ban, unless you count the subtle way the W
CQMP (World Commisioner of Quality MP3 Players) banned the Zune from everywhere but America.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Considering Rockstar is rumored to be losing money for this game not getting released and not getting a rating that is friendlier than AO (or the European equivalent), Rockstar can:

- scrap it.
- tone it and waste more time and potential profits.
- port to the 360 and be done with it.

It'd be one of the worst looking 360 games ever, but at least it'd finally be able to exist and Microsoft has no problem with an AO release (I believe there was an "unrated" version of Leisure Suite Larry, that well, ended up getting rated AO).

Tone it down, risk more losses, but at least retailers will sell and rent it. And Nintendo and Sony will actually license it.

Scrap it and just don't let it exist anyway. Might as well cut their losses now.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Wouldn't importing a copy from France, or better still, Jersey work? AFAIK all European PAL games are pretty much the same save for the initial language settings.

*I haven't imported a game from mainland Europe.

Anyways. I want Manhunt 2 on the Wii. I bet that game is awesome is motion control :eek:

According to old N64 magazines, even Australian games worked due to still being PAL.
What a place where people can decide for you what you may and may not play. :)
EDIT: I forgot to clarify; I have never played the original and do not agree with what it portrays but I resent the belief that people cannot play video games without being affected greatly by it.

Also, you can also only agree 100% with something. :)

EDIT2: I was just reminded of something; Nintendo ordered the removal of semi-naked women from Duke Nukem. One magazine described it as them "going through it like a kleenex". I can't remember the reception of it but I believe at least a few parents were pleased.

Dunepilot

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2002
UK

I'm also a 28-year-old libertarian, and even I have a huge problem with what I know of this game (having read IGN's preview). Seems like a completely unnecessary product.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
so we shoudl jsut start banning all violent media?
music, movies, games, etc.

This game is targeted towards adults and the makers should not be held repsonsible for the lack of competence on the side of parents and/or the media provider.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Movies and music aren't interactive though. Games are marked up because of their interactive nature. It involves the player making a concious decision to digitally act out the events.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Movies and music aren't interactive though. Games are marked up because of their interactive nature. It involves the player making a concious decision to digitally act out the events.

It's just another pathetic moral panic.

Years ago it was videos.

Then it was heavy metal.

Before that it was comics.

After all, it is wrong to depict graphic violence, but perfectly OK to launch a war based on lies that results in the violent deaths of hundreds of thousands of people.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C

Maybe, but the effecta they use with movies make it all look really, really real. PS3/Xbox 360 can't even make things look real yet...let alone Wii/PS2/PSP

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well, thing is there has been at least 1 murder in the UK related to Manhunt 1 so I can understand the ban. On the other hand a few months ago, some 16 year old kid who was hooked on cannabis watched some film and went out and killed 2 of his friends, re-enacting bits of the film.

I suppose you get it on all fronts. Faces of Evil? wasn't Clockwork Orange banned (and a mighty good film, I might add). The UK cover of some 50 Cent album had him holding a baby, rather than a gun.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Well, thing is there has been at least 1 murder in the UK related to Manhunt 1 so I can understand the ban. On the other hand a few months ago, some 16 year old kid who was hooked on cannabis watched some film and went out and killed 2 of his friends, re-enacting bits of the film.

I suppose you get it on all fronts. Faces of Evil? wasn't Clockwork Orange banned (and a mighty good film, I might add). The UK cover of some 50 Cent album had him holding a baby, rather than a gun.

So, you're saying, because of a few unstable idiots in the world, banning media is okay?

This goes back to the violence and video games thread that I believe you started. I would have hoped that since you are a game developer that you would be more understanding. It's fine you have your own morals and choose to not develop a game like Manhunt. But if somebody did blame your game for their violent rampage or other criminal acts, you would just accept the blame?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
How can you agree with the banning of a game? I fully support rating it AO(or the highest European rating)(if the content is worth rating it that, having never played the game I can't personal say, but I'm assuming the content in the game is worth that type of rating)

But why ban it? Movies have this kind of stuff in them, while they don't act it out, it looks real. I find the idea of banning Manhunt 2, BS.

This is another reason Nintendo will hold onto its "kiddie" name...while I agree, and know, everyone can play games like Mario, Link etc...games like Manhunt 2 add a different feel to a console, like its supports all types of gamers. Like you can buy the Wii, and have every type of game to play. NGC had trouble with this...it lost lots of 3rd party support(as did N64), and now Nintendo is saying no to an AAA 3rd party title. They should set it sell for the Wii(at AO rating), and score points with "hardcore" gamers. And if Sony did let it ship, then Nintendo would look even better.

(Now I know how people felt when Nintendo blocked blood from Mortal Kombat for the SNES, and Sega allowed it on the Genesis. Come on Nintendo, take a lesson of Sega, let gamers play their games!.

Feel free to make sweeping, general statements about all the consoles now because Sony, MS, and Nintendo have said they will not have AO games for their consoles.

There are no credible studies showing that playing violent video games changes one's behavior over the long term. In fact, the only long term study done on the subject says, Contrary to popular opinion and most previous research, the new study found that players’ “robust exposure” to a highly violent online game did not cause any substantial real-world aggression.. Of course heaven forbid facts disrupt society's preconceived notions and baseless opinions. Why spend time studying the problem when it's so much easier to obey the talking heads and their FUD looking for an easy, push button solution. It's books to blame, no it's TV, no Ozzy Osborne made him do it.. WTF? Seriously. How many people get exposed to the same external stimuli but don't go off killing people? I bet all these acts of violence were committed by people wearing shoes and some sort of clothing. F##k! Shoes and clothing music be the problem! I mean, how many murders do you hear about at nudist camps? Quick, everyone get naked a grab a pair of flip flops...

I guess PnP role playing games or just playing "army" are probably the most dangerous forms of imagination because you are actually pretending in real life instead of pretending on a Wii or PS3. Next time I get pulled over for speeding I'll try taking this approach w/the officer. "But you don't understand, sir. As a kid I pretended to be a race car driver and that's why I was speeding. It's not my fault. I can't help myself. I'm a victim of society's negligence. If only someone would've stopped me from pretending to be a race car driver I wouldn't be the horrible driver I am today."

Lethal

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Exactly. I don't like violence and gore...but it's the lazy solution to go banning things...regardless of past experience. If anything it does a negative reinforcement...now more people will hear about the game. By giving it this rating they are giving it more press and attention. They are getting more people talking about it than would have happened.

Take conservative Christians with DaVinci code. The movie sucked. If they'd have shut up and let it go by it wouldn't have done crap. But the more folks whined and boycotted and wrote books about it the more others were interested.

My Mom listened to a Marilyn Manson cd I'd gotten my hands on as a youth and got rid of it. No big show about it...not because she read about it, but because it was garbage and she had heard it. Then we had a talk about it.

I honestly feel really bad for kids raised by parents who just blindly follow whatever some board decides for them based on whatever science they're trying to back this crap up with. Decisions motivated by fear produce horrible results.

Paul

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
well it ain't getting released until they tone it down, I'm a little surprised that Sony and Nintendo both outlawed it.
They saw Rockstar get burned by hot coffee and don't want to spill any on themselves. The last thing they want is to invoke the wrath of "caring" parents who buy their 10yr old kid a rated R game (and of course later sue as a smoke screen to hide the lack of involvement in their child's life). A wise man once said, never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Lethal

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Considering Rockstar is rumored to be losing money for this game not getting released and not getting a rating that is friendlier than AO (or the European equivalent), Rockstar can:

- scrap it.
- tone it and waste more time and potential profits.
- port to the 360 and be done with it.

It'd be one of the worst looking 360 games ever, but at least it'd finally be able to exist and Microsoft has no problem with an AO release (I believe there was an "unrated" version of Leisure Suite Larry, that well, ended up getting rated AO).

Incorrect.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172830.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1
Though Manhunt 2 isn't slated for any of Microsoft's systems, the company has also confirmed that it does not allow AO-rated titles on the Xbox or Xbox 360.

I really don't see the point of this game, other than the shock-and-awe factor. I wasn't the least bit interested in the first game and I've never played it; after seeing a feature on the sequel in Game Informer a month or so ago, I basically said to myself "hmm, guess they're making another one? That's nice." </turns page>

I'm not saying games have to have a point to them to be a humanitarian affair, but while Rockstar usually tiptoes the line between acceptable and ridiculous (in relation to game content), both of their Manhunt games (IMO) are just too 'out there' for most people's tastes, including my own. Really...what's the point of the game, other than committing murder repeatedly? Sure, they throw a story in there and probably some objectives, but the underlying idea is "kill, kill, kill" and I don't support or get that. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.