Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why do you tend to buy so many Apple Products?

• Total voters

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Was wondering why you/I/we Apple enthusiasts tend to buy so many Apple products?

I've been on a bit of a FOMO binge, lately. Hadn't bought anything for a while, so "needed" to upgrade a couple of devices. My MacBooks were bought because I didn't own a computer for quite some time (just used my iPhone, and iPad.)

But it seems like once I started buying, I just couldn't stop & the torrent of purchases began!

Would be interested to hear your story.

Wishing you all well.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I think FOMO dies with age. I'm in my late 30's and I'm just pretty much over Apple's new stuff. It doesn't progress as much for as it did in the past (in my opinion) and they don't bother to change the designs much anyway to keep it fresh.

People get tired of hearing this, but I think Apple has become boring. Some of that is Steve Jobs being gone and the lack of excitement twice a year a keynote would bring, but some of it is they just don't do enough to satisfy my interests anymore. I like Mac OS X and I hate Windows 10/11, so I keep up in that sense.

I just replaced my OG iMac 27" Retina (2014 or 2015 maybe?) with a Mac Studio. I'll be using this thing forever. I only tend to upgrade my main desktop or notebook when either 1) there's a hardware issue or 2) Apple stops supporting it with operating system updates. Although I'm so over the yearly OS update cycle, I may just keep this thing forever.

As for iPhone, I'm on an every two year release cycle because of AT&T Next (and the fact that I just don't care much anymore).

As for iPad, it's whenever it stops holding a charge. So I finally retired a OG iPad Pro from 2017 or so and replaced it with an M1 iPad Pro. It's fine. It's hard for me to use it as a productivity tool. I find iPad OS so limiting.

Apple Watch - My least favorite product, I think I have the 4th generation with the ECG. I have no desire to upgrade until it it can check your glucose level (which has been rumored is in development for a few years).

As a weekend hobby, about a year ago I started buying up Macs I've had in the past.

I've pretty much collected every Mac product I've owned that I loved and didn't keep (Apple IIc, iBook G3 Dual USB, iMac Core Duo, Mac mini Core 2 Duo, etc.) or I've always wanted (Apple IIe Platinum, iBook G3 Clamshell, Power Mac G4 Quicksilver, etc.).

It's been a fun hobby. Apple actually keeps the software update servers active for 10.4 and above. However, their support pages are full of dead links to firmware updates and most articles are a joke.

Last edited:

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I think FOMO dies with age. I'm in my late 30's and I'm just pretty much over Apple's new stuff. It doesn't progress as much for as it did in the past (in my opinion) and they don't bother to change the designs much anyway to keep it fresh.

People get tired of hearing this, but I think Apple has become boring. Some of that is Steve Jobs being gone and the lack of excitement twice a year a keynote would bring, but some of it is they just don't do enough to satisfy my interests anymore. I like Mac OS X and I hate Windows 10/11, so I keep up in that since.

I just replaced my OG iMac 27" Retina (2014 or 2015 maybe?) with a Mac Studio. I'll be using this thing forever. I only tend to upgrade my main desktop or notebook when either 1) there's a hardware issue or 2) Apple stops supporting it with operating system updates. Although I'm so over the yearly OS update cycle, I may just keep this thing forever.

As for iPhone, I'm on an every two year release cycle because of AT&T Next (and the fact that I just don't care much anymore).

As for iPad, it's whenever it stops holding a charge. So I finally retired a OG iPad Pro from 2017 or so and replaced it with an M1 iPad Pro. It's fine. It's hard for me to use it as a productivity tool. I find iPad OS so limiting.

Apple Watch - My least favorite product, I think I have the 4th generation with the ECG. I have no desire to upgrade until it it can check your glucose level (which has been rumored is in development for a few years).

As a weekend hobby, about a year ago I started buying up Macs I've had in the past.

I've pretty much collected every Mac product I've owned that I loved and didn't keep (Apple IIc, iBook G3 Dual USB, iMac Core Duo, Mac mini Core 2 Duo, etc.) or I've always wanted (Apple IIe Platinum, iBook G3 Clamshell, Power Mac G4 Quicksilver, etc.).

It's been a fun hobby. Apple actually keeps the software update servers active for 10.4 and above. However, their support pages are full of dead links to firmware updates and most articles are a joke.
Good luck with your hobby.

Do you have many more devices to collect, and are they expensive?

When I was at school/college, it was all about the Atari ST & Commodore Amiga. I loved those machines, and think I still have one or two lying around somewhere.

I love nostalgia.

sam_dean

Suspended
Sep 9, 2022
Toy or use case.

I've learned that we should replace by use case. If it does not change then do not replace unless there's a change of use case that merits it.

It becomes a toy when you allow yourself to get persuaded by the enthusiasm of the crowd (people reading this) or Youtuber making a persuasive sales pitch for the purpose of revenue.

The devices I bought from 2014-2020 were because of that.

Example within the last 12 hours. MR reported a 2022 iPad Air M1 64GB WiFi being sold at 48% off. Shortly after a user posted another deal with the same merchant for a 2022 iPad Pro 12.9" M2 128GB WiFi being sold at the same percentage.

I have a 2018 iPad Pro 11" A12X Bionic 256GB WiFi with a cracked screen. 3rd party repair shop quoted me the price of repair equivalent to the Air. Apple Service Center quoted me the price equivalent to the Pro. If it was not cracked I'd keep it until after the final iPadOS Security Update then buy the iPad model after that.

What prevented the sale is that TigerDirect requires non-US shoppers to call in their orders. When I called the call center was closed.

If I could have a do over I'd love to arrange purchases of any device on a schedule with at least a 1 year gap between them.

Ideal timeline

- 2011 MBP 13" 32nm
- 2012 iMac 27" 22nm
- 2015 iMac 27" 14nm (hand me down 2012 model to uncle)
- 2016 OLED 4K TV, the year when Netflix/Prime/YouTube 4K and 4K Blu-ray were launched outside of the US
- 2019 iPad 10.2" 16nm (if screen cracks the replacement would just be $100 more than repair cost)
- 2021 MBP 16" 5nm
- 2025 iMac 27" 2nm
- 2026 OLED/microLED 8K TV, the year 8K streaming or even 8K Blu-ray may be launched

What is removed

- No Android flagship phones
- No Windows laptops
- No buy & sell of device or parts
- No speakers
- No Airpods
- No mini video consoles
- Instead of AV receiver get a large sound bar instead

If I was only smarter I'd pre-sell the devices that will be replaced. Release them once I took delivery the new model.

Like say the 2002 Power Mac G4 that we got. Should have sold it prior to 2005.

All the devices from 2006-2018 that were not listed in the Alternative timeline should have been gone as well before 2019.

I had an opportunity to liquidate all during the 1st 6 months of COVID lockdown as all brand new devices were sold out due to seaports being closed and parents desperate for any device for distance learning of their kids.

Last edited:

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I considered buying one of the last iPod Classics when they were being discontinued, and more recently an iPhone Mini, but didn't really care enough to go through with it

Reactions: sam_dean

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I think FOMO dies with age. I'm in my late 30's and I'm just pretty much over Apple's new stuff.

Some of us have the FOMO gene less than others, but for just about everyone that part of your brain that's responsible for GAF (as in IDGAF) processing starts to atrophy with age.

I think the other thing is that with experience, you learn that whatever feeling you get from not missing out is fleeting and most of the time the wonder device is not as paradigm changing as it's advertised to be.

In a more morbid sense, the older you get there is less and less you miss out on because you're probably not going to be around as long as someone in their early 20's whose entire life trajectory could be changed by a few fortunate encounters.

Having my own computer and a modem while I was a teenager completely altered the course of my life. Wanting that eye popping new GUI-driven computer when everyone else was clacking away on DOS may have been FOMO, but it was a FOMO driven to its most purposeful end.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I'm trying now to only buy stuff I need, not just Apple but in general.

I've owned many iPhones, tried different models and sizes throughout the years. You could call that a hobby because I was spending time and energy on something that was not actually a practical need. The new features of design appealed to me at the time, but the current phone was still fine (I've never had to replace my phone before). Now I bought my iPhone 13 mini 512GB with the intend to use it for several years.

My AirPods Pro are also a good example, I bought them on release day in 2019 and I'm still using them every single day. ANC was for me the "need". They will have to be replaced or repaired when they die, which will be again a "need" at that point.

Surely you can put the "need" up for discussion, but it doesn't necessarily have to be life or death with the topic of Apple products.

I think FOMO is not that strong with me anymore having owned so many Apple products over time. Sure AirPods Pro 2 are supposed the have better ANC but that's more of a good thing to look forward to than a reason to get rid of my perfectly fine current AirPods. I probably now find the same satisfaction in having owned them for so long.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Here's my current arsenal.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - I upgraded from the 8+ mainly for the battery life. It will likely last me another 4-5 years, and I am prepared to pay for a fresh battery somewhere in between if need be.

2018 11" iPad Pro - Still meets my needs, the newer iPad Pros are basically a processor bump, and all I appear to be missing is external monitor support. They are also expensive as heck. I see myself upgrading either this year or next, but it mainly depends on what new features the next iPad brings.

2019 Apple Watch series 5 - I had the battery replaced last year, so I am in no rush to have it replaced anytime soon. Again, maybe this year or next (basically whenever the next ultra Apple Watch update is).

2020 M1 MBA - base model, meets my needs, probably when it's no longer supported by updates.

2017 5k iMac - till this date, nothing Apple makes comes close to replacing it (I got it chiefly for the screen), so I will likely hang on to it till it dies. Shame to have to toss such an excellent display when the day does come though.

AirPods - I got the AirPods 3, then the AirPods Pro 2 last year for the ANC. Right now, I use the APP when traveling outside, and the AirPods at home (still find them more comfortable for extended use).

Apple TV - got 1 2021 and 1 2022 model, partly for the remote.

Right now, I am in no real rush to upgrade, because my current devices still work great, and / or the replacements are pretty expensive, so I am trying to hold on to my existing devices for as long as possible.

At this point, it seems that I am on more of a strictly replacement cycle, since they are more or less "good enough" for my needs.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Neither. It used to be more on need when I was more financially limited, but now that I have more disposable income, it's hard not buying new products when I can see a tangible improvement using them in everyday life. That's just the nature of being a tech enthusiast. I also don't really spend a lot of money in other areas of my life (vacations, clothing, groceries, etc.), so it makes it easier for me to justify Apple products being my one splurge category.

I feel you on one purchase seeming to start a series of purchases though. Apple Watch Ultra got me into Apple Fitness+ and into an Apple Watch cellular plan. I recently got an Apple TV 4K which convinced me to buy the Apple One Premier subscription. I was already planning to get the subscription once my Apple Fitness trial ran out but wanting to try out Arcade and TV+ on the Apple TV made me get it sooner. Now, due to the Apple TV, I'm considering buying the new HomePods, buying my favorite movies on iTunes, and buying more smart home tech to integrate with the TV and HomeKit (and HomePod if I get one).

AirPods Pro 2 are also on sale at Target this week ($200 + 5% Target Redcard Discount) which now I'm thinking about. I actually bought them and returned them before since it was hard to justify when my AirPods Pro 1 recently got replaced for free due to rattlegate and when I own AirPods Max. However, the battery on my AirPods case is really short now, and I really do regularly miss the better sound quality, ANC, and volume controls that the 2nd generation has. Those features had a pretty big improvement on my day-to-day life, though it felt good to return them too.

I've noticed I tend to have a pattern of trying Apple products, returning them, and then buying them again later when I realize how much I miss the extra features and feeling much better about getting them the second time. You can see me missing the AirPods Pro 2 here. I really don't need the Apple TV either, because my built-in TV software is already pretty good and has AirPlay 2. But if I return it, I'll miss the ecosystem integration and better image quality and software. And if I do decide to get a HomePod in the future, I know I'll want the Apple TV again. Sigh. God help me.

Last edited:

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
when you think about it, tech is actually really cheap. sure you pay the big bucks initially but then you can enjoy it every day for some 5 years.

try doing that with other hobbies like eating out and you’ll soon be eating a couple of iphone 14 pro maxes over the course of even a year.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
when you think about it, tech is actually really cheap. sure you pay the big bucks initially but then you can enjoy it every day for some 5 years.

try doing that with other hobbies like eating out and you’ll soon be eating a couple of iphone 14 pro maxes over the course of even a year.
Or buying tools for wrenching in the garage. I never thought I’d have a reason to own an engine stand…now I have two! 😅

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I buy what I want. Sometimes I even need what I buy.

FOMO has never been a thing for me. I like what I like and if that means I own something different than what the masses say I should own, then that's the masses problem, not mine.

I don't buy based on what society tells me I should buy. I will NOT be told by anyone else what to do - especially when it's my money. Nor will I lose any sleep over their judgement of me. Judging someone based on what they own just shows how shallow a person really is.

So, your poll options are incomplete. I neither have FOMO nor need the devices I purchase.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I buy what I need to run my operations for the foreseeable future and I do experiment with products so that I'm never at a point where I require new hardware at the time. This includes having backup devices. I have an iPhone 13 mini and an iPhone 7+ and two separate phone numbers. I have a 2021 M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16 and a 2015 MacBook Pro 15.

My idea is to buy hardware that I think will last five years for my current needs and hopefully near-term future needs.

The Apple Silicon transition was different because of the architectural change and me needing to run Windows or Linux from time to time. So that required a system to experiment on. The 2020 Apple Silicon systems were somewhat of a problem because of the RAM restrictions.

My idea is similar to what businesses do - you plan out what you think you will need for a couple of years and purchase stuff before you need it so that you aren't forced into buying what's available at the time. There have been many times in the past 2 years when it was very hard to source PC components and Apple Silicon Macs.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Good luck with your hobby.

Do you have many more devices to collect, and are they expensive?

When I was at school/college, it was all about the Atari ST & Commodore Amiga. I loved those machines, and think I still have one or two lying around somewhere.

I love nostalgia.

Expensive? No. I've lucked out on some things like the clamshell iBook G3 that was in mint condition by an original owner (who never used it). You can pick up used Macs for super cheap on Facebook marketplace or at your local eWaste recycler. You're going to pay more for the more iconic designs like the clamshell iBook, G4 cube, etc.

But things like the iMac G5, Power Mac G5, all the older Intel models are dirt cheap. I picked up a first gen Mac mini for $20.

Some of us have the FOMO gene less than others, but for just about everyone that part of your brain that's responsible for GAF (as in IDGAF) processing starts to atrophy with age.

I think the other thing is that with experience, you learn that whatever feeling you get from not missing out is fleeting and most of the time the wonder device is not as paradigm changing as it's advertised to be.

In a more morbid sense, the older you get there is less and less you miss out on because you're probably not going to be around as long as someone in their early 20's whose entire life trajectory could be changed by a few fortunate encounters.

Having my own computer and a modem while I was a teenager completely altered the course of my life. Wanting that eye popping new GUI-driven computer when everyone else was clacking away on DOS may have been FOMO, but it was a FOMO driven to its most purposeful end.

That's some of it too. I was lucky enough to grow up during the computer revolution. From desktop publishing to CD-ROMs to the Internet, going from a Tandy 1000 to a Mac Studio is such huge change in computing ability.

It was never about FOMO for me. Computers were new and most of the adults I was around as a kid didn't even know how to use them. I was interested because I wanted to explore, create and design. And computers allowed me to do that.

My grandparents bought me an Apple IIc when I was 4. I got a Packard Bell (Windows 3.11) PC at the age of 7. I've seen huge leaps in computing in my short lifetime. And what's happening now is sort of "meh" to me. Desktop computing has matured to the point that we're only seeing small changes.

I'm ready for this ...

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Expensive? No. I've lucked out on some things like the clamshell iBook G3 that was in mint condition by an original owner (who never used it). You can pick up used Macs for super cheap on Facebook marketplace or at your local eWaste recycler. You're going to pay more for the more iconic designs like the clamshell iBook, G4 cube, etc.

But things like the iMac G5, Power Mac G5, all the older Intel models are dirt cheap. I picked up a first gen Mac mini for $20.

That's some of it too. I was lucky enough to grow up during the computer revolution. From desktop publishing to CD-ROMs to the Internet, going from a Tandy 1000 to a Mac Studio is such huge change in computing ability.

It was never about FOMO for me. Computers were new and most of the adults I was around as a kid didn't even know how to use them. I was interested because I wanted to explore, create and design. And computers allowed me to do that.

My grandparents bought me an Apple IIc when I was 4. I got a Packard Bell (Windows 3.11) PC at the age of 7. I've seen huge leaps in computing in my short lifetime. And what's happening now is sort of "meh" to me. Desktop computing has matured to the point that we're only seeing small changes.

I'm ready for this ...

I also have enjoyed growing up during the computing revolution.

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum, first gaming console was an Atari 2600.

It's amazing what computers, and indeed devices in general (watches, phones, tablets) can do now.

I still think the Amiga was the best system.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
FOMO is "fear out..." I just forgot, I can't figure out or remember what Capital letters mean, LOL!

well I did purchase a un-needed MacBook Air M1 in October,
due the fear of missing out on the contoured and beveled MacBooks being extinct,
since the new m2 were boxy and flat.
and I feared Ventura being an iOS program-operating systems.

IHTH!

Reactions: Gudi and Glacier1

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Well at this point in life I’d say I do need an iPhone, iPad and MacBook. I get it. You can argue that’s none of those things are oxygen. But I don’t need the newest model. I wouldn’t describe it as fear of missing out. I’d describe it as wanting the best camera and display because I use them all the time.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I would say that I upgrade based more on want than on need. My usual pattern is a new phone every two years. I don't need to do that. And I may be getting one less frequently than that going forward.

Reactions: G5isAlive

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I loved my ST, but switched to the Amiga 500.

Both were great machines, and much more user friendly than PCs.

Do you still have either one of them? I still have my first run 1040ST and I recently upgraded the squishy keyboard to a more tactile one. I posted a couple of photos of that mod in progress.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
For me, it was replacing aging devices.

Bought my M1 Air to replace my 2015 MBP.
Bought my flashed iPod Classic with a much larger capacity.
Bought my '22 Watch SE to replace my S3.

My iPhone 11 will be used for a lot longer, not even at the point where it needs a new battery yet.

Reactions: izzy0242mr

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I bought M1 for FOMO and was not disappointed. I kept my XS for longer than I had anticipated, and I bought iPhone 12 mini 256 and a 12PM 512 to replace it because I wanted to upgrade and at almost 800 cycles and a 4 year old camera the XS was getting long in the tooth.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Most of my Apple devices fill a daily role in my routine so maybe not a dire necessity but not FOMO. I'd say my Apple purchases are for a need with one exception.

That's my AirPods Pro 2. I've always had regular AirPods and EarPods before that but never AirPods Pro. Everyone I know that has AirPods Pro likes them and most reviews are positive so when the new model came out I figured I'd give them a try.. I just can't find that use case where I'd feel they would be better over my regular AirPods. I don't think it helps that I dislike the sealed off feeling. The lack of that is the main thing I like about regular AirPods vs earbuds from every other manufacturer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.