Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why do you tend to buy so many Apple Products?

• Total voters

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don't get the FOMO angle here. Fear Of Missing Out is the fear that if you don't do it there's an experience you'll no longer be able to have. My friends are having a party, I want to stay home, but I'm afraid that something exciting will happen there that I won't be able to share in.

It's also what drives the success of "for a limited time only" campaigns.

It's not like that with Apple products. If I don't buy it today, I can always buy it tomorrow. There is nothing to fear. If I discover that I'm missing something, I can go to the store or the web that day and rectify the issue.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
The M1 Mac Mini which was my very first Mac was FOMO. Everything else was because of a need

• My 14 inch M1 Pro MBP was bought during the launch window because my previous laptop was 8 years old and since I already made the full switch to macOS as my daily driver from the Mini I decided to get the MBP as my new laptop, heavily influenced by that gorgeous screen. I'm so glad I did as this is the best computer I've ever used
  • My iPhone 13 Pro I bought day one because my previous phone was a iPhone 7 Plus that was also really old, had it for almost six years at that point
  • I bought AirTags because I was prone to occasionally forget my work badge after holidays

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I don't buy many Apple products, but the ones I do are usually because I need them. I own two iPads and a laptop.
Here are their assigned roles:

Laptop: Sort of a last resort for when I need to do something on an actual "computer", such as a program that only works on Windows. It's a Pentium Silver with 4GB ram, so it can't do much, but works well enough for when I need it.

iPad mini 5: Used to be my main device, now repurposed as a small hard drive for things I need to store privately and safely. I transfer stuff like photos and videos that I don't want to keep on my main device to it, and it works well. Occasionally I also use it as a smaller portable tablet, and it's very comfy to hold.

iPad Pro (m2): This is my main device. I could never go a day without using it... everything I do digitally, I would pick this up and just do it, and it does so effectively and quickly.

As you can see, my daily flow would be shattered if one of these would be removed. In this case, it would be the iPads.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I have made some impulse purchases of Apple stuff, but not for things as expensive as iPhones/Macs. In fact when I do get around to buying those it's always carefully considered, and less than retail price by using some deals.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have always thought that I don’t care if my device isn’t the latest as long as it does what I need it to do and it works perfectly fine. I have an iPhone Xʀ which runs flawlessly. The reason for which I wanted to upgrade my 9.7-inch iPad Pro is because Apple forced it out of iOS 9 into iOS 12, so it wasn’t perfect anymore. Also I liked my Air 5’s full screen, but I certainly didn’t need it. In fact, I’m writing this from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

Algr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2022
Earth (mostly)
Fomo.jpg

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Hint: my iPhone is 4 years old. Don't intent do change it any time soon.

Tbh if you even thought of that, you're suffering from FOMO more than me :)

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Few years ago, I upgrade my iPhone & iPad when a good jailbreak was released. At that time, jailbroken iDevice gave you lot of freedom from UI, system tools, apps etc etc. It’s funny to remember that now. Now, I upgraded only when I need it (due to the old one has been very slow, lost or bad battery) or when there is good price drop.

Fortunately, I have a big family which I can make justification easily for “needs”, lol.

tubular

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2011
Macs -- well, I'm a developer, and it's my hobby too, but I also try to stick to a rule of thumb that says don't replace a machine until you've had it for more days than the dollars you bought it for.

iPhones -- I replace them when I need to.

iPads -- well, here's where I apparently went wild over the last ten years.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Was wondering why you/I/we Apple enthusiasts tend to buy so many Apple products?

I've been on a bit of a FOMO binge, lately. Hadn't bought anything for a while, so "needed" to upgrade a couple of devices. My MacBooks were bought because I didn't own a computer for quite some time (just used my iPhone, and iPad.)

But it seems like once I started buying, I just couldn't stop & the torrent of purchases began!

Would be interested to hear your story.

Wishing you all well.

I don't think FOMO means what you think it means. Regardless, if I have to choose between FOMO or Need, I say, Neither.

After my needs are met, I buy because I can (have the disposable income) and I like to. I enjoy upgrading. Do I have to have another reason? I spent more last year on cruising than tech, but enjoy my tech more.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I really only buy new Apple products when my old ones either stop getting software updates, or they just get so old that they're acting a little funny (my iPhone 6S started having some weird battery issues after about 4 years or so).

Reactions: imanidiot

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I buy what I want. Sometimes I even need what I buy.

FOMO has never been a thing for me. I like what I like and if that means I own something different than what the masses say I should own, then that's the masses problem, not mine.

I don't buy based on what society tells me I should buy. I will NOT be told by anyone else what to do - especially when it's my money. Nor will I lose any sleep over their judgement of me. Judging someone based on what they own just shows how shallow a person really is.

So, your poll options are incomplete. I neither have FOMO nor need the devices I purchase.
My answer too. I just like tech but don't care if anyone ever sees what I have.

Reactions: eyoungren

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Fear of missing out on what? They’ll just make a new version in 12mo

I only get a new device where there is a feature or performance improvement that I want/need

When they first had a barometer in the iPhone

LiDAR (kinda disappointed in that one)

iPad mini with more screen

Etc

I ain’t the dude you’ll see lining up for the newest iPhone

Reactions: imanidiot and Algr

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Considering prices of tech and inflation in my country, I (almost) always make rational decision in buying a product. No FOMO here. I bought an iPhone 7+ in early 2020 because I want a cheap phone with IP rating. I upgraded to the 11 Pro recently because the 7+ has poor battery life and overheats easily.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It all depends. I generally upgrade to the latest iPad mini. But that's only because the release cycle with that one is so infrequent and usually by the time a new one comes out, the existing one is absolutely showing its age. For iPhones, I try to upgrade before the phone starts naturally falling apart; though I'll do it sooner if my current one is having issues that annoy me. For Macs, I do it as needed. My Mac needs were greater during the Intel era when gaming and virtualization was something I could do well. In the Apple Silicon era, I likely won't ever need more than either a loaded 13-inch MacBook Pro, or a 14-inch MacBook Pro with the binned version of the Mx Pro chip on offer. My gaming and virtualization needs, at least for non-macOS OSes is better served on PC hardware going forward. So, really, I won't be upgrading my Mac all that often either.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
A bit of both. I actually need a Mac to work and do a lot of other things, but I've been guilty of the occasional upgrade when I could make do with an older model.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Depends on the product but it used to be FOMO with iPhones before they started costing thousands and got divided into regular and Pro. Nowadays even the newest model is hampered compared to the Pro so the FOMO is gone because I don't want to pay that much for the Pro as the regular one is already at the limit of what I'm willing to. I've essentially realized what I'm getting is already hampered on purpose and the FOMO would always return next September. So I get the cheapest option and use it for as long as it works for me.

Reactions: imanidiot

fanboy-ish

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2022
Well, here's my use case.

I have a main job, it's mainly a bureaucratic job and I use company-issued computers at the office (Windows laptops, older i3 CPU, mechanical hard drives and 4GB of RAM, yes, it's as painful as it sounds).

I also have a side hustle, I've been doing this since December, I work in public relations, so I manage social media accounts, create promotional material and write press statements, for very small organizations, with very tight budgets so, for them, my non professional work is fine, also because I don't charge a lot (I want to change careers and you'll have to start somewhere, however my work is receiving praises from bigger names, I'm working hard to turn those praises into cash).

So, in all honesty, I don't really need Apple products.

What I need is a phone with a camera system capable enough to produce photos and videos that look (very) good on Facebook and Instagram and don't need editing, except for some minor tweaks in iOS' Photos app (I don't know jack about professional photo and video editing), I've tried using high end Android devices (Samsung S10 something and their last flip phone) and still don't like Android, can't find my way around it, way too many confusing settings, so my iPhone 14 Pro is great for what I do.

As for what I do on a computer (currently 2020 i5 MacBook Air with 8GB Ram and 256 SSD), I could get my stuff done even on any Linux distro using Libre Office if Iwanted or needed to, I could even try ChromeOS because I can use web-based services like Canva, Adobe Express and Office Web Apps, even though I don't particularly rely on those services, I look at Canva and Adobe Express only for inspiration (Microsoft Designer looks very promising too) so, for me, macOS, Windows or Linux wouldn't make much of a difference.

My 9th gen iPad is mostly an entertainment device (music, video, reading, web browsing).

However, I can say that using Apple products and relying on iCloud is somewhat making my life easier, especially AirDrop (I've tried Microsoft Edge's Drop feature, but it's not as smooth as AirDrop and it has stopped loading for some reason). I create material mostly in Keynote and Pages (they're surprisingly capable, even though I still don't find them as intuitive as I'd wish), the files are on my Mac and in iCloud, and it's very easy to do (small) changes to the files on my iPhone or iPad, if needed.

There's also the quality of the devices, my Mac has a great keyboard, great trackpad and great screen, this combination makes working long hours on the computer less tiring. One could argue that I could find the same quality in other premium laptops, yes, probably, but my main point is that I've created my own "work flow" using Apple hardware and software, this "work flow" is working very well for me and I don't see, at present time, any reason to change it.

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
FOMO. I’ve had all 10.2-inch iPads and I don’t think the spec bumps were noticeable for my use case. But the longevity and trade-in deals were worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.