Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Ok, I know the hype with BeejiveIM is amazing, however, Palringo (aside from having to create an account), seems relatively rock solid in comparison to BeejiveIM...

Anything I'm missing here? Anything specific that puts BeejiveIM ahead!

:confused:

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
It's probably just preference at this point. I have Beejive on my Blackberry and my WinMo phone, what else would I get for the iPhone?

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Read existing Beejive threads for what it offers.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Beejive is the best app I've used on the iPhone. It works flawlessly and is worth the $16 I paid for it. I have confidence that as updates come, it will become an even better application. This is an experienced team behind it and they have been making BeeJive for a long time. However, when PUSH comes, a lot of it's benefits may dissipate.

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

AHDuke99 said:
Beejive is the best app I've used on the iPhone. It works flawlessly and is worth the $16 I paid for it. I have confidence that as updates come, it will become an even better application. This is an experienced team behind it and they have been making BeeJive for a long time. However, when PUSH comes, a lot of it's benefits may dissipate.

When apples push service comes this apps benefit only increases. Remember devs still will have to be able to code their apps to use this apple service. And Beejive has a proven track record.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
Beejive is fantastic, and I completely support them in each of their ventures, but this time I can honestly say palringo also brings a lot to the table - for free no less... I have much (more) respect for palringo now that they've added waaaay more features, significantly improved stability and ease of use, etc.

Although all these new IM apps keep constantly coming out, I return to palringo every time. If beejive reduces their price to, say $7, I would definitely change my mind and jump back to them! Only time will tell though...

Hope that helps!

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Beejive is fantastic, and I completely support them in each of their ventures, but this time I can honestly say palringo also brings a lot to the table - for free no less... I have much (more) respect for palringo now that they've added waaaay more features, significantly improved stability and ease of use, etc.

Although all these new IM apps keep constantly coming out, I return to palringo every time. If beejive reduces their price to, say $7, I would definitely change my mind and jump back to them! Only time will tell though...

Hope that helps!

What? one the one hand you say beejive is fantastic (which implies that you have bought it and used it) and then on the other, you say if beejive's price got reduced to....."say $7" then you would "change your mindand jump back to them?" Did you purchase it and use it? If so, then why would the price of an already purchased app be an issue as to whether you continue to use it or not? If you didn't purchase it, then how do you REALLY know how great beejive is in comparison to palringo?

i have both, and beejive's UI and ability to notify you without the app running is far more important in my book than voice/picture features in palringo that i never use.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
What? one the one hand you say beejive is fantastic (which implies that you have bought it and used it) and then on the other, you say if beejive's price got reduced to....."say $7" then you would "change your mindand jump back to them?" Did you purchase it and use it? If so, then why would the price of an already purchased app be an issue as to whether you continue to use it or not? If you didn't purchase it, then how do you REALLY know how great beejive is in comparison to palringo?

i have both, and beejive's UI and ability to notify you without the app running is far more important in my book than voice/picture features in palringo that i never use.

Let me clarify. A really good friend of mine, who also has an iphone, bought this app but I've been the only one using it. :p I do not have it on my phone, but I have spent enough time to get a solid idea on how well it operates. In addition, I had beejive on my old blackberry curve.

So once again, let me say that beejive is phenominal, but palringo still seems like the better option when taking cost into account IMO.

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
okay makes sense now, but what i don't understand is if you had it on your bb, with its ability to notify you of msgs without the program "actively" open, then i'm at a loss as to how you could not "value" that feature above all other features?

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
okay makes sense now, but what i don't understand is if you had it on your bb, with its ability to notify you of msgs without the program "actively" open, then i'm at a loss as to how you could not "value" that feature above all other features?

I totally agree with what you're saying. But FYI, palringo runs for up to an hour longer after it's closed, and I can honestly tell you that I check my messages a lot more frequently than every hour. 24 hours is awesome on paper, but not practical if you actually USE IM. And as soon as push notification comes out, there will be nothing that significantly separates beejive and palringo other than the UI of each app and beejive's landscape ability (which I assume is only a matter of time before palringo comes out with that too).

Thank you for understanding what I'm saying. And just for the record, I am not affiliated with either beejive nor palringo, so in case anybody was thinking something to that effect you can throw that idea out the window. I just speak proper english. :p

speedracer3000

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2008
on a jailbroken phone Palringo can easily stay connected at all times running in the background and receive notifications just the same

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I don't know...I think palringo holds it's own. every release, they are slowly matching what BeejiveIM is doing, granted, they would have it first.

In my opinion, sooner or later, the cost will not really justify it once Palringo is on par. Of course, you will always get BeejiveIM hardcore followers. Overall, I'm simply stating that Palringo isn't all that bad.

xolan99

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Palringo is a great app if you don't mind not being signed on all the time...me, personally, I like having my IM accounts logged in 24/7. I also like that I can save chats and have them emailed to me. I also like the landscape mode.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
I don't know...I think palringo holds it's own. every release, they are slowly matching what BeejiveIM is doing, granted, they would have it first.

In my opinion, sooner or later, the cost will not really justify it once Palringo is on par. Of course, you will always get BeejiveIM hardcore followers. Overall, I'm simply stating that Palringo isn't all that bad.

Couldn't have said it better myself! ;)

Stebus

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008

Every release they are slowly matching Beejive? Palringo is version 1.2.2, Beejive is 1.0.0. Palringo has had a lot more time to enhance their app and deliver what their customers want. From the beginning Beejive is a phenomenal app and will continue to get better. I think Palringo is great, their dev team is especially good for a free app, however, I think because it's free there's always going to be short-comings. I believe that because Beejive is earning quite substantial money from their app that they have the ability to develop something far better.

Beejive suits my needs better than Palringo so that's why I bought it. People that think that it should be cheaper are not the target audience, they are Palringo's. If a developer believes that their app should be a certain price I respect that and my decision on whether to buy it or not is based on that. Don't try and disrespect developer's by saying they should drop the price. You either buy it or you don't, if an app is really too expensive the people will respond by not buying it, this hasn't been the case with BeejiveIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.