Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Every release they are slowly matching Beejive? Palringo is version 1.2.2, Beejive is 1.0.0. Palringo has had a lot more time to enhance their app and deliver what their customers want. From the beginning Beejive is a phenomenal app and will continue to get better. I think Palringo is great, their dev team is especially good for a free app, however, I think because it's free there's always going to be short-comings. I believe that because Beejive is earning quite substantial money from their app that they have the ability to develop something far better.

Beejive suits my needs better than Palringo so that's why I bought it. People that think that it should be cheaper are not the target audience, they are Palringo's. If a developer believes that their app should be a certain price I respect that and my decision on whether to buy it or not is based on that. Don't try and disrespect developer's by saying they should drop the price. You either buy it or you don't, if an app is really too expensive the people will respond by not buying it, this hasn't been the case with BeejiveIM.

You make a good point, however, it's only one opinion regarding how developers are driven. It's all speculation at this point how Palringo is driven but I haven't seen Palringo hold back on features because they are not being paid.

Perhaps the "speediness" of them developing something better may lag a bit but they have rolled out feature by feature what BeejiveIM has...a couple features behind but you have to ask yourself.

What happens when Palringo matches what BeejiveIM has? Do you still pay for an application that Palringo does exactly?

I'm not discrediting the cost of developers. For I have paid over $200 for applications (110 applications) already on my phone, I think the most I paid for any given app is around $40! Maybe it's my addiction but when something free is available and they say they have a "premium" version, I have always bought the premium version. :D I think it's definitely an addition!

This actually led me to this post because I was so tempted to buy BeejiveIM (because I have to have the best) but then when I actually put it on paper, Palringo versus BeejiveIM, I really don't need the offline capabilities at this time (for I don't need to be logged on 24/7), email messages, save messages, etc. features. If I did buy it, I would be left with another application I bought that yes, having all the features is there but rarely used....of course I would satisfy my addiction....:rolleyes:

kevin512

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I love Beejive and it's only going to get better. Palringo is a good app, but I don't like having to create a Palringo account. I also wonder what there business model is? At some point they will need money to expand their servers and capabilities. That's either through eventually charging for the app or adding advertising to the app.

nutsnbolts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I love Beejive and it's only going to get better. Palringo is a good app, but I don't like having to create a Palringo account. I also wonder what there business model is? At some point they will need money to expand their servers and capabilities. That's either through eventually charging for the app or adding advertising to the app.

That's true....I hate advertisements...that's my breaking point. If they do that, I'm going with BeejiveIM.

I forgot, Advertisements is what drives me to go elsewhere or look for alternatives.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

When apples push service comes this apps benefit only increases. Remember devs still will have to be able to code their apps to use this apple service. And Beejive has a proven track record.

Does the SDK already allow the programmers to code for Push or are we going to have to wait for BeeJive to update after Apple flips the switch?

Stebus

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
You make a good point, however, it's only one opinion regarding how developers are driven. It's all speculation at this point how Palringo is driven but I haven't seen Palringo hold back on features because they are not being paid.

Perhaps the "speediness" of them developing something better may lag a bit but they have rolled out feature by feature what BeejiveIM has...a couple features behind but you have to ask yourself.

What happens when Palringo matches what BeejiveIM has? Do you still pay for an application that Palringo does exactly?

I'm not discrediting the cost of developers. For I have paid over $200 for applications (110 applications) already on my phone, I think the most I paid for any given app is around $40! Maybe it's my addiction but when something free is available and they say they have a "premium" version, I have always bought the premium version. :D I think it's definitely an addition!

This actually led me to this post because I was so tempted to buy BeejiveIM (because I have to have the best) but then when I actually put it on paper, Palringo versus BeejiveIM, I really don't need the offline capabilities at this time (for I don't need to be logged on 24/7), email messages, save messages, etc. features. If I did buy it, I would be left with another application I bought that yes, having all the features is there but rarely used....of course I would satisfy my addiction....:rolleyes:

You also make a good point, and my problem isn't with debating which app is better, it's people that say "this app should be cheaper". I abhor that kind of selfish behavior.

Back to the discussion at hand, I don't know if Palringo could match what Beejive has, even though they may come close. Now that Beejive is out and they can start updating as well, I think we'll see more innovative features coming to Beejive before Palringo. It's simply a money thing. Push will be not as effective if you are only logged on for 1 hour after you close it, for example.

It really makes me proud to own an iPhone when you see developers making really good apps, delivering what their customers want and offering all that for free. Sure Beejive is a great app but I think Palringo should get extra credit for giving people a top notch IM experience without the price tag.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
That's true....I hate advertisements...that's my breaking point. If they do that, I'm going with BeejiveIM.

I forgot, Advertisements is what drives me to go elsewhere or look for alternatives.

Just as an FYI, I posted a question asking if they planned to use advertisements or offer a 'lite' version w/ Ads and a paid version without -

Here's the response: "The intention is to keep Palringo completely free, not only on the iPhone but also on all our other platforms."

While I have switched to Beejive I do like Palringo and think their support team is great.. They are very active with their users and have put together a great product.

Theres a few things I prefer about Beejive:
1) Ability to use separate status messages for each protocol.
2) Ability to add/remove users from the iPhone
3) Ability to view buddies by associated account
4) Ability to send SMS through app

A few things Beejive is missing that Palringo has:
1) Abiltity to swipe right/left between open chat windows
2) Smaller font sizes (especially with Matrix theme)
3) Ability to send/recieve pictures (works great when doing it with others w/ a Palringo account)

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Just as an FYI, I posted a question asking if they planned to use advertisements or offer a 'lite' version w/ Ads and a paid version without -

Here's the response: "The intention is to keep Palringo completely free, not only on the iPhone but also on all our other platforms."

I wonder how they plan to do that? They obviously require backend servers so there are ongoing costs there that would have to be paid somehow, unless maybe they have another related profitable product/service that pays for this one like Netnewswire?

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I wonder how they plan to do that? They obviously require backend servers so there are ongoing costs there that would have to be paid somehow, unless maybe they have another related profitable product/service that pays for this one like Netnewswire?

They probably have jobs lol

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
Beejive has the following things that Palringo and ALL other IM programs in the app store do not....

-stability
-landscape typing
-excellent look & feel
-ease of use
-NO PROGRAM ACCOUNT NEEDED
-sends you notifications via text message or email when you have a new message, and the program is closed.
-keeps you logged in for 24 hours regardless of your signal strength, regardless of whether or not you've closed the program, and regardless of whether or not you have rebooted the phone.

Sep 13, 2008
Beejive all the way. Easily one of the best apps on the App Store. Amazing user interface (that chat bubble when you type is so sexy), its fast, easy to move between chats, display pic support, stays connected when you quit, etc.

I used to use Palringo, and as hard as the developers of Palringo try, it was always just... okay. The picture messaging and sound clips were a good idea but the person you were talking to had to click the generated link and access the media on a horribly designed Palringo page.

Beejive has kicked all other IM apps out the door :) even at its relatively high price. It's definately, absolutely worth the money.

kickpush

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2008
New York
Personally Beejive's reliability has been comparable to the IM services I used my old blackberry curve. I feel like I don't even need Apples push service.

With Palringo, the only thing I didn't like is that it didn't keep your message history and no buddy icons.. and the interface leaves much to be desired. It's still a great free alternative, the recent updates improved it dramatically.

However, I have deleted every IM app I had before (OneConnect, palringo, AIM, and IM+) since I bought BeeJive.

Justinerator

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
Beejive has the following things that Palringo and ALL other IM programs in the app store do not....

-stability
-landscape typing
-excellent look & feel
-ease of use
-sends you notifications via text message or email when you have a new message, and the program is closed.
-keeps you logged in for 24 hours regardless of your signal strength, regardless of whether or not you've closed the program, and regardless of whether or not you have rebooted the phone.

I bolded the ones you are correct about. Palringo has never crashed on me, so I'd say stability is equal if not better than beejive's, as there have been more updates to fix them. There rest is a matter of opinion, as one could argue palringo is extremely easy to use and it also has an excellent look and feel.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois

-stability
-landscape typing
-excellent look & feel
-ease of use

I bolded the "in the app store" since if you want to word it that way...MobileChat has all those :D...except stability.

Now if you worded it "that work"...then the list applies. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.