Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
LAUGH OUT LOUD at people that get mad at another guy who they don't know that happens to bend his phone.

"I hope Apple laughs at you and makes you pay it"

blah blah blah. No what Apple laughs at are the 90% (and a lot of you rude ass people I see commenting in here) that put your phone under bright lights looking for flaws, putting your phone up to your ear in quiet rooms, etc etc.

Who cares whether the OP bent it riding a bike or whether he just bent it bc he was mad? It doesn't affect YOU, get off your high horses and go back to looking for flaws on a device you'll get rid of in less than a year.

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
LAUGH OUT LOUD at people that get mad at another guy who they don't know that happens to bend his phone.

blah blah blah. No what Apple laughs at are the 90% (and a lot of you rude ass people I see commenting in here) that put your phone under bright lights looking for flaws, putting your phone up to your ear in quiet rooms, etc etc.

Who cares whether the OP bent it riding a bike or whether he just bent it bc he was mad? It doesn't affect YOU, get off your high horses and go back to looking for flaws on a device you'll get rid of in less than a year.

I think it was more that he acted like he was owed a free phone because of some defect.

He even said it was his fault but a phone that's two days old shouldn't bend. That's like saying a two day old Benz shouldn't crumple up if you run it in to a tree on the way home from the dealership.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
I think it was more that he acted like he was owed a free phone because of some defect.

He even said it was his fault but a phone that's two days old shouldn't bend. That's like saying a two day old Benz shouldn't crumple up if you run it in to a tree on the way home from the dealership.
see you missed my point too. who cares? who cares if he acts like he wants a new phone. it doesn't affect us or you, people shouldn't get so upset.

Trust me, for every 1 good apple customer, theres 600 bad ones trying to scam them.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Sucks that it's bent, it's a harsh lesson to learn the hard way. There's not much you can do but take it to Apple for a replacement. Trying to bend it back into shape will probably do more harm than good and it would likely never look right again anyway.

The only advice I'd give you is, when you take it back to the store be completely and totally honest with them. They're not stupid, they know exactly how hard it is to bend the chassis now, so they won't buy anything that doesn't correlate to that kind of force.

If you're really lucky you'll maybe get a sympathetic person who sees it as a genuine, I didn't realise it wouldn't hold up, situation. But ultimately, be prepared to pony up for an AppleCare+ accidental damage replacement just in case.

Reactions: UnluckyXIII

IndianBird

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
see you missed my point too. who cares? who cares if he acts like he wants a new phone. it doesn't affect us or you, people shouldn't get so upset.

Trust me, for every 1 good apple customer, theres 600 bad ones trying to scam them.

I'm just telling you why he got pounded.

It's not bothering me. But roughing up a scammer on the internet is a treat as old as time.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
True, but by people replying and getting upset over an internet forum, they are are getting trolled by a troll. A scammer is a troll, and when people bite they are getting trolled.

If a guy gets mad, bends his phone, then comes in here and tries to cheat apple, then so what? You really think us (random people on the internet) are gonna stop him? LOL.

werked

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
that put your phone under bright lights looking for flaws, putting your phone up to your ear in quiet rooms, etc etc.

This definitely makes me LOL.
Some of these guys in here talking **** are probably some of the same ones in the other threads that think their **** doesn't stink bc the have a JB iPhone. Children.

Last edited:

UnluckyXIII

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2014
Sucks that it's bent, it's a harsh lesson to learn the hard way. There's not much you can do but take it to Apple for a replacement. Trying to bend it back into shape will probably do more harm than good and it would likely never look right again anyway.

The only advice I'd give you is, when you take it back to the store be completely and totally honest with them. They're not stupid, they know exactly how hard it is to bend the chassis now, so they won't buy anything that doesn't correlate to that kind of force.

If you're really lucky you'll maybe get a sympathetic person who sees it as a genuine, I didn't realise it wouldn't hold up, situation. But ultimately, be prepared to pony up for an AppleCare+ accidental damage replacement just in case.

+1

Take it to Apple and just be honest, hopefully it will work out for you, at worst you lose one of your Apple Care and have to stump up the cash. Hard lesson I guess, but this is why my phone goes in the phone pouch on my Osprey Raptor hydration pack.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
It was in the symmetry
[doublepost=1475678640][/doublepost]

No it was in a side pocket of my bike shorts

Looking at the Symmetry case, it looks like a normal slim case and not one of Otterbox heavy duty cases so I dont think it would protect well from possible bending. Before I got my 7, I biked with my iPhone 6 in a LifeProof Nuud Case with their LifeActiv quickmount bike mount. I havent biked with the 7+, but I think I'm going to stick with riding with my Apple Watch Series 2 to track my rides, or take my iPhone 6 along with a FreedomPop SIM inside it.

In terms of that bend, it really sucks and I hope Apple can help in some way, but I think it might be a case of using a deductible on AC+. My bike shorts don't have pockets, but I feel like I would have definitely damaged my phone in a case like the symmetry with the phone in my pocket.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Sucks.

It's interesting how people that post these threads have 1 thing in common. They always say "I put it in such and such case". Cases aren't impervious to physics. Slapping a case on a phone doesn't automatically mean it has the healing power of Jesus. It will still bend, break, dent, crack. Especially when you shove it in your back pocket while riding a bike, bouncing up and down.

Man up. Pay to replace it and learn your lesson.

gixxerbri

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
I had my 6+ replaced at the store because it was bent. It did not count against the AC+ replacements. More recently when I took my son's phone in for an out-of-warranty replacement and we were just chatting waiting for the restore to complete, the genius told me to come back in for a replacement of my now almost 2 yr old phone because it was again very-slightly bent. I didn't ask, he just suggested it.

Good luck to you. I think they will replace it without any issues, and without counting as one of your AC+ replacements.

MikeKlump

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
I don't really understand why you keep saying that a *new* phone shouldn't bend. The phone will be just as durable a year from now as it is now.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

skimamm0th

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Wow this thing really blew up! Glad I could provide some entertainment. For those that were offended by this post for some reason, I apologize. For those who have tried to help me with my predicament thank you very much! I have decided to hold onto this one for a while incase something worse happens. Thanks everyone!

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
Front/side pockets the phone should not bend. These jabroni's who put their phones in their back pockets though, lol.

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Front/side pockets the phone should not bend. These jabroni's who put their phones in their back pockets though, lol.

Normally very true, but the wild card here is the OP was biking with it in his side pockets. Now depending on how loose his shorts are, his thighs might have been flexing while biking and putting pressure on the phone and caused the bend. Again, it really sucks that this happened to the OP and I hope he is able to get it fixed either as warranty or using AC+.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014

Get bent.

Bardia2002

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2017
Mine bent as well. I did not sit on it. It was in my front pocket, the glass came loose from the screen. I believe it may have been defective, it is a brand new iphone 7. I was walking, and when I took it out of my pocket, I noticed that the phone was not aligned with the otterbox case. I took it out and realised it was very seriously damaged. The LCD is incapable of producing black colors on the screen, and the speakers make weird noises. This is absolutely unacceptable for a 700 dollar phone, I wish I bought an s7 instead. If Apple does not replace my phone for free, or for a reasonable price, I will never purchase another Apple product, although, for a multi-billion dollar company like Apple, that won't matter to them very much. I have had 2 Ipads, a Mac, and 5 Iphone's, upgrading with new generations. I never experienced something like this. I believe the screen may have come off due to the adhesive melting with to much heat. I had joggers on, and they were very loose, so pressure could not have been the reason.

Attachments

• Photo on 2017-02-11 at 9.06 PM.jpg
    Photo on 2017-02-11 at 9.06 PM.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 315

snicklesnackle

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2017
Usually I'm with the consumer with this but putting a thin piece of metal in your back pocket whilst biking is a bit careless. I hope it doesn't end up being too expensive of a lesson for you.

Gachiennuocmam

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2017
What is the point of having a phone if you aren't going to use it to its all potential. For example, seeing the distance and and elevation gain when I ride a bike. Using it for that doesn't seem too outrageous to me.
I dont think its potential is to be a chair. Even when you dive with a water proof phone your phone is out of warranty.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Mine bent as well. I did not sit on it. It was in my front pocket, the glass came loose from the screen. I believe it may have been defective, it is a brand new iphone 7. I was walking, and when I took it out of my pocket, I noticed that the phone was not aligned with the otterbox case. I took it out and realised it was very seriously damaged. The LCD is incapable of producing black colors on the screen, and the speakers make weird noises. This is absolutely unacceptable for a 700 dollar phone, I wish I bought an s7 instead. If Apple does not replace my phone for free, or for a reasonable price, I will never purchase another Apple product, although, for a multi-billion dollar company like Apple, that won't matter to them very much. I have had 2 Ipads, a Mac, and 5 Iphone's, upgrading with new generations. I never experienced something like this. I believe the screen may have come off due to the adhesive melting with to much heat. I had joggers on, and they were very loose, so pressure could not have been the reason.

How do you think that the adhesive got so warm the screen fell off?

If that were so we would be reading about screens falling off in every other thread.

People have actually damaged their phones by putting in or taking it out of a tight fitting case.

Hope Apple is kind to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.