Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
uBlock Origin (not "uBlock") still works well. It will give you that scary warning about how it may slow down your browsing, but it works fine.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I'm using Ka-Block now, after a long time with Ad Block. I'm really liking Ka-Block especially because its description says it "does not have permission to read or transmit content from any web pages."

Reactions: IngerMan

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
Does it slow down or drain battery in practice?

I haven't done a formal test, but I don't notice the slowdown. Technically, I can see this going either way. Blocking many ads will reduce the amount of crap that must be downloaded, which ought to speed up rendering. But it is also an extra step in the processing. I suspect for sites heavily junked up with ads you'd see a net improvement in speed, perhaps even dramatically so. Maybe a barely perceptible slowdown in the case of very clean sites.

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Another vote for Wipr. Longtime Ghostery user, switched to 1Blocker when Safari content blockers were introduced, and then I happened upon Wipr. 1Blocker is good if you like precision drilling down into html and javascript or creating your own custom blockers. Wipr is "set-it-and-forget-it."

Reactions: Fireproof!

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
I'm currently using Ublock Origin but plan to switch to something from the App Store (because assumedly Apple will completely disable non-app store extension functionality eventually). What I like about UO is that it completely removes ad spaces on pages - rather than just blocking the ad - so you've no evidence of where an ad was at all.

Does Wipr do this?

Reactions: AjTee

ales876

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Just set up a new machine, so I see Wipr is it then? So Ghostery and uBlock can be removed?

I'm searching as well for other privacy extensions...chrome and Firefox have a ********. you guys have any other suggestions?

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I'm using Ka-Block now, after a long time with Ad Block. I'm really liking Ka-Block especially because its description says it "does not have permission to read or transmit content from any web pages."

This is the case with all of the "content blockers", as opposed to the older style ad-blocking extensions (such as uBlock Origin). This is why Apple is pushing people to use the content blockers instead of ad-block extensions - content blockers cannot read or view any information about any website visited.

As an aside, I highly recommend Wipr. Works across both macOS and iOS.
[doublepost=1538222259][/doublepost]
I'm currently using Ublock Origin but plan to switch to something from the App Store (because assumedly Apple will completely disable non-app store extension functionality eventually). What I like about UO is that it completely removes ad spaces on pages - rather than just blocking the ad - so you've no evidence of where an ad was at all.

Does Wipr do this?

Yes.

Reactions: artfossil

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
I've been using Wipr for a little longer than a year. Also bought it for two dollars for iPhone. Never had any problems, works all the time.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Yes on Mac it is. On iOS you pay a small price.

Actually on the Mac there are 2 versions - the content blocker extension from Apple's site, and the version in the App Store. The version in the App Store is the one that will be updated going forward, and it is slightly different in that it actually has an app you can launch where you can make it update the block list. The older extension did not have this, and also is not being updated going forward (but I believe it will still update blocking rules).

The App Store version also works around the content blocker rule limitation by having 3 "parts" you have to activate in the Safari extensions. Just like the iOS version.

I believe this App Store version is also $2, like the iOS version.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Yes, bought from AppStore for $2.

Do I have to enable 3 parts of this extension in Safari?

dkrq2gb5.png

Then update lists...

fjfrgnqi.png

After that can I quit application and enabled extensions in Safari will still work fine?

Rgds.

////////EDIT/////

uBlock Origin a lot better, Wipr cannot whitelist websites....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.