Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
You can also quickly click the Wipr button and enable/disable the extension.

pxBapdm.png

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
I do not found this icon in my Safari...

I requested refund for this app.

uBlock Origin is better for me.

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2018-09-29 o 15.18.51.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2018-09-29 o 15.18.51.png
    278.6 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: 212rikanmofo

Venderious

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2014
Groningen
In order to put this icon in Safari. You need to right click on the bar next to the search-field, from there you can add this button. Either way, both programs work, so it is indeed a preference thing.

Reactions: AjTee

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Yes, bought from AppStore for $2.

Do I have to enable 3 parts of this extension in Safari?

Then update lists...

After that can I quit application and enabled extensions in Safari will still work fine?

Rgds.

////////EDIT/////

uBlock Origin a lot better, Wipr cannot whitelist websites....

Correct, just quit the Application. You can leave auto-update on or off.

You can disable it/whitelist it on a site by going to Safari Preferences, Websites, Content Blockers, and switching off for the relevant site. You can also click and hold on the reload button in the address bar to load the page without Content Blockers.

The main advantage to Content Blockers is they cannot read any information about websites you visit, they are just static rules that block what they are told too. Older style extensions like uBlock are able to see what websites you are going to.
[doublepost=1538233439][/doublepost]
In order to put this icon in Safari. You need to right click on the bar next to the search-field, from there you can add this button. Either way, both programs work, so it is indeed a preference thing.

That icon is only present if you are using the version from Apple's Safari extensions page. If you use the App Store version, the toolbar icon is not present because it runs it's own app. Whitelist settings are then integrated into Safari preferences as I said above.

To add, the version from Apple's Safari extensions page is no longer being updated, all development has moved to the App Store version to give it parity with the iOS version. This version is also not limited to the 50K ruleset for content blockers.

Reactions: avernet and TokMok3

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

Putting the button will work on Mojave? I tried but, can't find the button.

deejayscream

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Checked Wipr yesterday,and I have to say,waste of money,this is not even close to Ublock Origin.
Keep fingers crossed and hope Ublock Origin will be kept alive,or give me some better solution for Safari 12...

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

OrganoMystic

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
The new Adblock Plus really sucked with the Safari 12 update. It would block the whole site and re-render with a delay. Youtube ads would be blocked, but at each ad segment the video would stop, go blank and reload from the point of the ad break.
After a few minor updates it's now performing perfectly again.

OrganoMystic

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2018
I spoke too soon. With the new API the browser slows down and there are really inconvenient pauses before the screen renders. I have switched to Opera especially for video content, I prefer my video streaming without having to reload and buffer after each ad break.

If another adblocker doesn't have this inconvenience I will switch back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.