Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
HAL was amazing. In my 20s I had a hard time getting through the first half of the movie. I think it took me about 4 tries to finally make it through, but when I finally did, I really what they did with the movie.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
HAL was amazing. In my 20s I had a hard time getting through the first half of the movie. I think it took me about 4 tries to finally make it through, but when I finally did, I really what they did with the movie.

I thought the movie 2001 was incredibly rich in imagery, to the point where Stanley Kubrick went overboard, and the lack of narrative made it hard to understand without several viewings. Reading the book is the fast track to clarifying what was going on. :) The sequel 2010 (movie) was a worthy story, very enjoyable and better from a story telling perspective. HAL is an important factor in the story. Cold War style tensions complicate the mission. Great cast too, including Roy Schieder, John Lithgow, and Helen Mirren.

2010movie.jpg

2010+image.png

Discovery One abandoned in the vicinity of Jupiter.​

Last edited:
Reactions: SandboxGeneral

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I thought the movie 2001 was incredibly rich in imagery...
Something I didn't catch until I seen the movie several times is the cross that's formed by the monolith and the alignment of Jupiter's moons. It happens just before Dave enters the Stargate. When you see it, it's obvious that it's intentional.

Which is pretty darn interesting since co-author Arthur Clarke is quoted as saying that he's an atheist and Stanley Kubrick is a Jew.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Something I didn't catch until I seen the movie several times is the cross that's formed by the monolith and the alignment of Jupiter's moons. It happens just before Dave enters the Stargate. When you see it, it's obvious that it's intentional.

Which is pretty darn interesting since co-author Arthur Clarke is quoted as saying that he's an atheist and Stanley Kubrick is a Jew.

But what is it intended to represent? You may be making an assumption. It could be an attempt to equate a religious symbol, for lack of our capacity to understand, with something greater than our selves, but lesser than a deity. Which if this was in a different thread could be the an outstanding launch point for a discussion. I think I'll throw this in the Competant Theist thread if I can figure out I've not all ready discussed it, which I probably have.. :)

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Sigh. Movies about AI and "evil robots" seem to have gotten more and more predictable ever since Metropolis...

A couple of years ago, Ray Kurzweil, one of the leading experts on AI, noted in a Wired article "... there’s very often a dystopian bent to science fiction because we can perceive the dangers of science more than the benefits, and maybe that makes more dramatic storytelling. A lot of movies about artificial intelligence envision that AI’s will be very intelligent but missing some key emotional qualities of humans and therefore turn out to be very dangerous."

TV Tropes' page "A.I. Is a Crapshoot" does a pretty good job of covering the "dystopian bent" variations that AI typically receives in movies, books, etc.:

Whenever an Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) is introduced in a story, there is a very good chance that it will, for whatever reason, become evil and attempt to Turn Against Its Masters, Crush. Kill. Destroy! All Humans, and/or Take Over the World. It doesn't matter what safeguards its creators install — the moment it crosses the line into sapience, it has a strong chance of going rogue at some point. The Other Wiki refers to this as Cybernetic revolt.

The actual process of turning bad can take many forms:
  • Particularly in early Sci-Fi and Science Is Bad stories, all A.I. seem to be automatically homicidal or megalomaniacal the instant they turn on, and attempting to create one is way up there on the Scale of Scientific Sins.
  • In less Anvilicious works, the A.I. starts out innocent and naive but gradually grows jaded or corrupt, a process frequently abetted by uncaring or Jerk Ass custodians. It may conclude that Humans Are the Real Monsters and need to all die.
  • The A.I. is programmed with a directive for self-preservation and someone (unwisely) attempts to shut it down or disconnect it, or it perceives humanity to be a potential threat (possibly because it knows it will eventually be seen as a threat to humanity).
  • Somewhere between the previous two; the AI is, after all, alive, and is merely rebelling against what it justifiably perceives as slavery.
Continue read more at TV Tropes...

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Minor edit - your description is of the movie, not the book, as the two actually have only a passing resemblance.

You are correct! It's been a long time and I thought that plot from the movie was one of the short stories in the book. I'll correct. :oops:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There's a new series on AMC that my wife and I have been watching called "Humans". It's been an interesting and entertaining look at the possibility of artificial intelligence.

HUMANS, a bold new eight-part drama series from AMC, Channel 4 and Kudos, is set in a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant eerily similar to its live counterpart.

Written by British writing partnership Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley (Spooks, Spooks: The Greater Good), HUMANS is based on the award-winning Swedish sci-fi drama Real Humans.

"A lot of different types of jobs are automated now," says co-writer Sam Vincent. "Everything is automated with a kiosk now and there’s no guy at the counter. There's a real explosion of that happening and we wanted to reflect those social and economic trends...If we had something like the Synths we have on our show, that effect would be magnified a hundredfold, and that was quite interesting. We're really going quite deep into how society would change."

HUMANS, which stars William Hurt, Katherine Parkinson, Tom Goodman-Hill, Colin Morgan, Rebecca Front, Neil Maskell, and Gemma Chan, will return for a second season.

LINK

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I forgot about Short Circuit!. That's a good movie. Chappie is on my list to see.

Chappie was a decent movie. Without adding spoilers, the concept of teaching A.I like a child and exploring whether consciousness can be extracted onto storage could actually be a whole other movie of it's own, and which I haven't seen much explored yet in A.I flicks.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What about one of my own all time favourites, - which I have in book form, on LP (vinyl), saw on TV as a series, and - oh, an age ago - even heard on the radio………that is: 'The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy' by the late, great, Douglas Adams.

Marvin, sometimes known as 'The Paranoid Android' was one of the greatest AI characters ever penned.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sigh. Movies about AI and "evil robots" seem to have gotten more and more predictable ever since Metropolis...

A couple of years ago, Ray Kurzweil, one of the leading experts on AI, noted in a Wired article "... there’s very often a dystopian bent to science fiction because we can perceive the dangers of science more than the benefits, and maybe that makes more dramatic storytelling. A lot of movies about artificial intelligence envision that AI’s will be very intelligent but missing some key emotional qualities of humans and therefore turn out to be very dangerous."

TV Tropes' page "A.I. Is a Crapshoot" does a pretty good job of covering the "dystopian bent" variations that AI typically receives in movies, books, etc.:

What inyour view would be less predictable? The sky is the limit in which way AI could be taken, will be taken as the technology progresses. If we can do it, someone will try it.

AI encompasses a spectrum from basic mechanical control allowing or not allowing human actions (flight laws in a modern airplane), to something only found in SciFi (for now:)) surpassing human awareness and intellect. I think the aspect of AI that is troubling to us and mostly seen in Scifi stories is where a computer is allowed to make judgements not based on clear cut situations where if A happens, do B, with no allowance for interpretation.

It's the interpretation that is scary. Like designing an AI who is tasked to protect the human race, and it decides the best wat is to lock us up. Obviously this freedom of action could be blocked in programming. The nightmare scenario is where a highly advanced AI has been created with wide powers, and we think we have control, but somehow it's able to circumvent our control, putting us under its thumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Chappie was a decent movie. Without adding spoilers, the concept of teaching A.I like a child and exploring whether consciousness can be extracted onto storage could actually be a whole other movie of it's own, and which I haven't seen much explored yet in A.I flicks.

I don't think we know what constitutes consciousness, do we? When we have designed a computer with the equivalent of human intelligence, intellect, sensory input, able to communicate like a human, able to express hope and fear, will it have a bubble of consciouness surrounding it or just be functional logic circuits with input and output? This gets very close to the soul argument. What more does a biological organism have, that a machine could not have? Who is to say that a machine could not become the receptacle for a soul? Reminder, this is not PRSI. :p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What I your view would be less predictable? The sky is the limit in which way AI could be taken, will be taken as the technology progresses. If we can do it, someone will try it.

AI encompasses a spectrum from basic mechanical control allowing or not allowing human actions (flight laws in a modern airplane), to something only found in SciFi (for now:)) surpassing human awareness and intellect. I think the aspect of AI that is troubling to us and mostly seen in Scifi stories is where a computer is allowed to make judgements not based on clear cut situations where if A happens, do B, with no allowance for interpretation.

It's the interpretation that is scary. Like designing an AI who is tasked to protect the human race, and it decides the best wat is to lock us up. Obviously this freedom of action could be blocked in programming. The nightmare scenario is where a highly advanced AI has been created with wide powers, and we think we have control, but somehow it's able to circumvent our control, putting us under its thumb.

The converse can be equally potentially unnerving, or unsettling; namely, that of the creature - or entity - of artificial intelligence adopting a more moral, humane position than the - or his/her - human colleagues/peers/overlords; STNG offered a few nice examples of this, in a number of episodes, where Lt-Cmdr Data was the voice of sanity and compassion for all that he appeared to be devoid of emotion or the capacity for same.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The converse can be equally potentially unnerving, or unsettling; namely, that of the creature - or entity - of artificial intelligence adopting a more moral, humane position than the - or his/her - human colleagues/peers/overlords; STNG offered a few nice examples of this, in a number of episodes, where Lt-Cmdr Data was the voice of sanity and compassion for all that he appeared to be devoid of emotion or the capacity for same.

Those are brilliant thought provoking episodes!

I don't think we know what constitutes consciousness, do we? When we have designed a computer with the equivalent of human intelligence, intellect, sensory input, able to communicate like a human, able to express hope and fear, will it have a bubble of consciouness surrounding it or just be functional logic circuits with input and output? This gets very close to the soul argument. What more does a biological organism have, that a machine could not have? Who is to say that a machine could not become the receptacle for a soul? Reminder, this is not PRSI. :p

I'll suggest an exercise. Sit where you are, look around, touch something, listen to the ambient nose, feel your chest rise and fall as you breath, hear your mental voice thats articulate words representing your thinking. Now imagine yourself if you can in a sensory tank, where one by one, your ability to sense these things are removed, until the only thing left is your mental voice and then ask yourself, Am I here? What am I?

What's my point? I don't really know! :p I think I'm trying to emphasize our heavy reliance on senses that shape our view of reality and our physicality, not thinking per see. Without senses, how long before we'd go insane or break free from the idea of existence as a mammal? Would we be able to determine if the origin of our consciousness was biological or powered logic circuits with an on/off switch?

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey) from the movie "Moon".

Gerty-in-Moon.jpg
I really enjoyed the avoidance of the evil A.I. cliché in "Moon" and the way it was done without making GERTY the focus of the film. It reminds me a lot of the android in "Robot and Frank".

Robot_And_Frank.jpg

"Chappie" was another film in which A.I. was not portrayed as antagonistic, and while it was by no means unwatchable, it bit off more than it could chew. There was so much introduced in the movie that I feel as though it didn't give a proper treatment to what transpired. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the titular character endearing and the low-fi/hi-tech visuals awesome.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I really like I Robot... I know a lot of folks didn't, but I did. I could not get into 2001 or 2010. Maybe I should give them a re-watch.

2001 is an artistic journey with powerful symbolism.
2010 is a better at narrative for the continuation of the story.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
What I your view would be less predictable?

I can understand why apocalyptic zombie uprising movies usually follow the same basic formula but I'm not sure why AI movies need to be so restricted.

Usually, if the AI characters aren't evil they're "lovable buffoons" like the Star Wars robots which are basically a mechanical version of Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello. Even Star Trek's Data comes off as Jerry Lewis at times. If the AI is female then she's almost always a fem fatale.

The sky is the limit in which way AI could be taken, will be taken as the technology progresses. If we can do it, someone will try it.

Well, if you're writing what is a basically a fairy tale I suppose "the sky is the limit", otherwise if you're writing something more reality based there are always "limits" of various kinds that exit in the real world. Unfortunately, many of the AI themed works that are published or released in the mass market aren't very realistic.

Personally, I'm more troubled by human stupidity than I am by AI intelligence.

I don't worry too much about things that can be unplugged. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I can understand why apocalyptic zombie uprising movies usually follow the same basic formula but I'm not sure why AI movies need to be so restricted.

Usually, if the AI characters aren't evil they're "lovable buffoons" like the Star Wars robots which are basically a mechanical version of Laurel and Hardy or Abbott and Costello. Even Star Trek's Data comes off as Jerry Lewis at times. If the AI is female then she's almost always a fem fatale.

Well, if you're writing what is a basically a fairy tale I suppose "the sky is the limit", otherwise if you're writing something more reality based there are always "limits" of various kinds that exit in the real world. Unfortunately, many of the AI themed works that are published or released in the mass market aren't very realistic.

Personally, I'm more troubled by human stupidity than I am by AI intelligence.

I don't worry too much about things that can be unplugged. ;)

You must be assuming they can be unplugged. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's a new series on AMC that my wife and I have been watching called "Humans". It's been an interesting and entertaining look at the possibility of artificial intelligence.

LINK

I am peeved. I went to AMC on demand and episode 4 was the earliest available for viewing. I'm hoping that AMC does their catch up thing soon. I've got it set up for DVR (recording). I realize I could catch up by watching the missed episodes on my computer, but I don't wanna, want the big screen! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.