Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I'm looking for a bluetooth speaker, mostly for movie watching while traveling as the sound out of an iPad is not really great for that. I've seen tons of speakers out there. But I can't find any real user reviews, does anyone have experience with the Jawbone mini or micro, the JBL Charge or the Lowdi?

Or is there a better one?

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I don't know about those but suggest you look at the Bose Soundlink Mini. I got my husband one for Christmas and he just loves it. The sound on it is pretty amazing making me wish I had one for myself. I've tested it with my iPad, iPhone, and our laptop. No problems linking them up via Bluetooth. It's a little pricey but very easy to carry around since it's so compact.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLin...396335874&sr=8-2&keywords=bose+soundlink+mini

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
The Bose sound link mini and jbl charge cost the same so for the price the Bose is the better choice. Another one to look at is the Logitech UE boom. The Logitech is water resistant. The durability on that thing is solid, plus the sound is pretty good. The jawbone is just awful. Can't tell you how many stories I have heard about that thing vibrating (due to the sound distorting) so much that it fell off what ever it was sitting on and getting damaged.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/boom-wi...8952082662&skuId=8914779&st=ue boom&cp=1&lp=1

Last edited:

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Thanks! Scrapped the Jawbones of the list.

Somehow I haven't been a fan of Bose, but I'll check them out!
And the UE looks very nice too, but if I read it correctly it's mono and for movies I want stereo :)

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks! Scrapped the Jawbones of the list.

Somehow I haven't been a fan of Bose, but I'll check them out!
And the UE looks very nice too, but if I read it correctly it's mono and for movies I want stereo :)

Not aware of the Logitech being mono. But I know you can link two of them together to get a left right channel. I have used both the Bose and Logitech to listen to movies and music. The Logitech sounded pretty good. And the durability (it is water resistant) gives it the upper hand. I wouldn't be scared to take the Logitech to the beach or through it in a backpack. Plus it has a 15 hour battery life.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
the bose sound link mini is a hell of a speaker

Listened to a couple in the store today and I must agree, the Bose sounds like it's the best. I'm still curious about the lowdi, but if that's not as good or better as the Bose I'm definitely going for one from Bose :)

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Listened to a couple in the store today and I must agree, the Bose sounds like it's the best. I'm still curious about the lowdi, but if that's not as good or better as the Bose I'm definitely going for one from Bose :)
Thanks for the update. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on whichever speaker you decide on.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
I just bought the Bose Soundlink Mini after hearing a friends unit, I was and still
am, blown away by how good that little thing sounds :)

AND I am fussy, music is my profession so I'm not easily impressed !!

Recommended 100%

Marty.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I love my JBL Flip (the first version) purchased in 2012. It goes with me every where. The Flip comes with a nice black neoprene bag. There is enough volume and bass to fill up a room. It has a nice JBL sound. My friend has a Jawbone and they are nice but sound is a little boxed in. The JBL Flip fills more of the room.

Save some money and go with the JBL Flip. $90

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I have been exceedingly happy with the JBL Charge. It's about the size of a beer can but has amazing sound! Many people who have seen it in action are amazed at how it sounds. On top of that, it can charge your phone or tablet from its internal battery, which is great if you need emergency power in a pinch.

It's $150, which is a bit pricey but when you hear the sound coming from it you'll realize why. You get what you pay for!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I have been exceedingly happy with the JBL Charge. It's about the size of a beer can but has amazing sound! Many people who have seen it in action are amazed at how it sounds. On top of that, it can charge your phone or tablet from its internal battery, which is great if you need emergency power in a pinch.

It's $150, which is a bit pricey but when you hear the sound coming from it you'll realize why. You get what you pay for!

Yep. Love my Charge. Extremely happy with it.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
The jawbone is just awful.

They are. They are just mobile speakers. They aren't that loud and they don't have much depth. I don't agree with buying them.

If you want good sound, you should buy powered bluetooth speakers. The most average of these would sound better than the Jawbone.

Johnboy7701

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
+1 for the bose soundlink mini... Great little speaker. Used it when I was deployed in Afghanistan for crossfit and while traveling the roads. Very durable and great sounding little speaker.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
2014-monster-beats-pill-bluetooth-speaker-tyrant-gold-capsules-outlet-uk-q7745_2.jpg

*runs away from thread*

Valinor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
A friend of mine has the Bose soundlink. Great device but bit pricey :S
I myself bought 2 hmdx Jam plus speakers. You can pair them and get a left and right speaker. Sound and volume are great for what you pay, not as good as the Bose but they are alot cheaper.

Also bought these 30 dollar speakers.
http://www.amazon.com/Earson-Waterp...sr=8-1&keywords=Waterproof+bluetooth+speakers

Really cheap and small. Great sound and they go loud. And they are waterproof! Great for on the beach and other dusty/sandy paces where you dont want to use your expensive speakers..

Last edited:

lexdiamonnyc

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2012
NYC
I have a Soundlink 3, and it awesome!!! wether it's worth the extra $100 over the mini is up to you, for me the extra battery life and slightly clearer sound were worth it..... :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.