Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
"Every model of the 13-inch MacBook Air" is $150 off, except for models with 16GB of RAM, which are not available at all. So, again, it's actually half the models. Please be more accurate.

yep, these deals are great for casual users. If you need more RAM, then you are screwed paying Apple's high prices. At this point, 16GB should be standard as 512gb for storage for base models. Greed, greed....

From the OP: 15-inch M3 MacBook Air (16GB/512GB) for $1,549.00 ($150 OFF)

Last edited:
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Apple should be embarrassed that you can still buy a MacBook Pro M3 with 8gb of ram, including new from Apple.

I have a June 2010 aluminum body MBP with 8gb that I cannot even upgrade past 10.13 High Sierra.

Oh would you and others stop and actually test it? 8GB of ram is perfectly fine for most people. Seriously it's exhausting to hear people keep trying to compare intel macs to M3. Extremely different architecture.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Apple should be embarrassed that you can still buy a MacBook Pro M3 with 8gb of ram, including new from Apple.

I have a June 2010 aluminum body MBP with 8gb that I cannot even upgrade past 10.13 High Sierra.

You absolutely can upgrade it, all the way to 14 Sonoma if you want to.

damnhandy

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Great deals on MacBooks, especially the 15" M2 & M3 Air
Not only that, but BestBuy is offering very good trade-in deals. My 2020 13" MBP with 16GB and 512GB drive would get about $350-$400 with Apple, BestBuy claims to offer $600 for the same device. So, if you're looking to trade in at the time of purchase, it's a very good deal.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009
Oh would you and others stop and actually test it? 8GB of ram is perfectly fine for most people. Seriously it's exhausting to hear people keep trying to compare intel macs to M3. Extremely different architecture.
While 8GB of RAM is perfectly usable for a wide array of consumers, it does NOT belong in a "pro" machine. The Air and mini? Fine. But the Pros? No.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
While 8GB of RAM is perfectly usable for a wide array of consumers, it does NOT belong in a "pro" machine. The Air and mini? Fine. But the Pros? No.
You know that "Pro" is just some arbitrary designation made by Apple. You could just as easily use an Air or mini, and rely on your MacBook for your profession/income.

I just got an M2 Air yesterday for my spouse, to replace her 2018 13" MacBook Pro (that had 16GB!!). The Air wipes the floor with the "Pro" machine. I pity the "pro" that needs to rely on the "Pro" machine that I just replaced :)

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I love how people will argue about the options they can configure their Apple devices with... How stupid do you have to be to be mad about having the option to buy a MacBook Pro with 8GB, 16GB, 24GB, etc. RAM. It is literally your choice to make, yet how some obscure reason, people are mad that Apple gives people the opportunity to buy what they want...

I don't get it...

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I love how people will argue about the options they can configure their Apple devices with... How stupid do you have to be to be mad about having the option to buy a MacBook Pro with 8GB, 16GB, 24GB, etc. RAM. It is literally your choice to make, yet how some obscure reason, people are mad that Apple gives people the opportunity to buy what they want...

I don't get it...

People are (rightfully) upset at the complete rip off pricing of the upgrades, which feeds into the desire for the base specs to be better across the board.

The value on Macs, especially when one upgrades a few of the components, is really poor

Reactions: joshwithachance

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009

I don't get it...
You're missing the entire point with this mindset, but whatever.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
People are (rightfully) upset at the complete rip off pricing of the upgrades, which feeds into the desire for the base specs to be better across the board.

The value on Macs, especially when one upgrades a few of the components, is really poor

Exactly, it seems the base spec models are loss leaders designed to push people to upgrade to the specs where significant profit is made. They're low by design, and the spec increments are completely detached from the market for RAM and SSD prices where Apple is making a good 60-80% profit.

If this wasn't the case, we wouldn't see the brunt of the discounts on the base RAM models.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
You're missing the entire point with this mindset, but whatever.
Please enlighten me then...

All I see is that people are upset because a company is offering what some people want. Not all want 16GB, 24GB, or more in a laptop - and not all needs it. My daughter is still using her MacBook with 8GB RAM for uni., and for her usage pattern that is fine. The MS Office suite, Chrome, and even Adobe Acrobat, works just fine with 8GB of RAM. Why should Apple not offer it when there is a market?

People complain about choice and price... It's easy, you do have a choice to not buy the latest version. No one is forcing you to buy the latest and brightest...

MrMacCoolio

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2022
Hear! Hear!

How people are complaining about choice will never cease to amaze me. If you are unhappy with a product - DON”T BUY IT. As a consumer that is your right, and like Killerbob is saying, if there is a demand, there is a supply.

I too am happy with my MacBook Air with 8GB RAM in it. I did go for a bigger SSD, but with my usage, I simply do not need 16GB of RAM.

Reactions: BeatCrazy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.