Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Was holding out for a better Series 5 deal, but this was the perfect price point.

AOD and Compass does not warrant $300+ more - For my use case.

Thought I would post this for anyone in the same position.

Last edited:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I currently have a black Series 1 (Aluminum 38mm) but saw this deal and placed an order for black Series 4 (SS 44mm). Still wondering if I should get this or an Alminum Series 3 on Black Friday for $129... ?

Not sure if I’ll even pick it up from Best Buy but it’s one of those situations where you buy first before it sells out, then figure out later if you want to cancel the order.

FYI for those who have a Chase Freedom Credit Card don’t forget you can purchase from BestBuy via PayPal for an additional 5% off the $399 purchase price ?

Reactions: uknation87

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I currently have a black Series 1 (Aluminum 38mm) but saw this deal and placed an order for black Series 4 (SS 44mm). Still wondering if I should get this or an Alminum Series 3 on Black Friday for way cheaper... 🤔

Not sure if I’ll even pick it up from Best Buy but it’s one of those situations where you buy first before it sells out, then figure out later if you want to cancel the order.

FYI for those who have a Chase Freedom Credit Card don’t forget you can purchase from BestBuy via PayPal for an additional 5% off the $399 purchase price :)

Not to trample over your post, but the 5% probably would be just enough to cover the tax, you wouldn’t even see a discount off the actual watch itself.😁

Reactions: breezyf808

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Not to trample over your post, but the 5% probably would be just enough to cover the tax, you wouldn’t even see a discount off the actual watch itself.?

Oh no worries, and I agree: sales tax sucks! (almost 10% here in SoCal ?)... but I guess if you gotta pay it anyways might as well save what you can.

Even without the 5% off it’s still a great price, but for SlickDealers like myself squeezing out the absolute best discount on top of already good deals is a way of life ???

Reactions: staggerlee41

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm looking at this too. With the really awful battery life of the AW5 and the screen being less bright I'm not sure why I'm even considering the AW5. It would have been nice to get a titanium one, but cannot ever find them in stock local to me. But the AW5 seems like a big downgrade in battery life.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm looking at this too. With the really awful battery life of the AW5 and the screen being less bright I'm not sure why I'm even considering the AW5. It would have been nice to get a titanium one, but cannot ever find them in stock local to me. But the AW5 seems like a big downgrade in battery life.
Battery on the s5 cellular has been great for me.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Battery on the s5 cellular has been great for me.

Even with the screen always on? I keep reading so many reviews and members on these forums that are complaining about how bad the battery life is versus the AW4 or 3. I would still rather have a titanium model, but not if the battery life is any worse than its predecessors.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Even with the screen always on? I keep reading so many reviews and members on these forums that are complaining about how bad the battery life is versus the AW4 or 3. I would still rather have a titanium model, but not if the battery life is any worse than its predecessors.

In general the AW S5 will reach the 18 hours of battery life advertised by Apple. If you're going to charge every night, that is sufficient. If you want two day battery life, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I have been getting 4 - 5 hrs usage with about 20 - 22 hrs standby before charging. I have everything on but Fall detection and Noise detection.

At this moment: usage 4hrs 2 mins with standby of 22hrs 2 mins and battery 28%.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
In general the AW S5 will reach the 18 hours of battery life advertised by Apple. If you're going to charge every night, that is sufficient. If you want two day battery life, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Actually, with the appropriate settings, you can achieve almost 2 days of battery life [I.e Disable ‘Hey Siri’, reduce brightness/prominent feedback, disable Raise to wake, etc.]

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Actually, with the appropriate settings, you can achieve almost 2 days of battery life [I.e Disable ‘Hey Siri’, reduce brightness/prominent feedback, disable Raise to wake, etc.]
I went through mine and deleted apps that I never used. That is all I did. It's rare that I am less than 40% after 16-18 hours of wearing.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I have been getting 4 - 5 hrs usage with about 20 - 22 hrs standby before charging. I have everything on but Fall detection and Noise detection.

At this moment: usage 4hrs 2 mins with standby of 22hrs 2 mins and battery 28%.

I was hoping it would match my AW3. I workout in the mornings, then charge it for maybe 15-20 minutes while I shower, then when I get home and wash up for bed another 15-20 minutes charging and use it all night for sleep tracking. That's it, I never charge it anymore than that. Do you guys think that with the AOD on and a 2 hour workout in the morning I can get the same battery life?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I was hoping it would match my AW3. I workout in the mornings, then charge it for maybe 15-20 minutes while I shower, then when I get home and wash up for bed another 15-20 minutes charging and use it all night for sleep tracking. That's it, I never charge it anymore than that. Do you guys think that with the AOD on and a 2 hour workout in the morning I can get the same battery life?
You might can get close if you turn off a few unnecessary things during workout.

I use my watch during sleep as well. I charge it every night at 7:30pm I created a daily reminder so I wouldn’t forget to charge. At 9:00pm, it is back on my wrist until 7:30pm.

You could also use the s3 just for workouts, and use the s5 the rest of the time.

Give the s5 a 14 day trial.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Apollonian

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
I’m really torn. This $399 price point is great. I’m coming from a series 0 and would really like a s5 but I just don’t think I can justify the price differential for really what boils down to the AOD.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I own a S4 Aluminum and jumped on this opportunity. Unless I'm in the shower my Apple Watch is on my wrist because I also wear it for sleep tracking. This gives me the opportunity to always have a fully charged watch. Overkill? Perhaps but 47% off was too good for me to pass up.

Reactions: macdragonfl

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
My S5 has the same battery life as my Previous S4.

Reactions: spinedoc77

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m really torn. This $399 price point is great. I’m coming from a series 0 and would really like a s5 but I just don’t think I can justify the price differential for really what boils down to the AOD.

You’re coming from a first GEN watch and considering a Series 5, and you can’t justify the price differential? That’s insane. The differentials are _massive_, I mean, the Series 4 is still a great device, but if you can’t justify the price difference for a watch that’s five generations newer than what you have, then I question what you’re really using the Apple Watch for in the first place.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I own a S4 Aluminum and jumped on this opportunity. Unless I'm in the shower my Apple Watch is on my wrist because I also wear it for sleep tracking. This gives me the opportunity to always have a fully charged watch. Overkill? Perhaps but 47% off was too good for me to pass up.

Don’t trip...

I bought two as well ?

Silver for work / Black for casual

(Still WAY less than the Ceramic S5 - and just a tad more than one S5 SS)

I never had previous versions of the watch. Still, think it’s pretty safe to say I could get about half back when series 6 launches.

Glad you all got in on this one!

Reactions: staggerlee41

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I just ordered one last night. It comes with FREE 3 month Apple Music but it's for NEW Subscribers ONLY!
I already have Apple Music so obviously I won't be taking advantage of this and can't. But my question to those who also bought the watch with this deal included, did you have any problem with NOT signing up with Apple Music free trial? Is it mandatory to get the $399 DEAL?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I just ordered one last night. It comes with FREE 3 month Apple Music but it's for NEW Subscribers ONLY!
I already have Apple Music so obviously I won't be taking advantage of this and can't. But my question to those who also bought the watch with this deal included, did you have any problem with NOT signing up with Apple Music free trial? Is it mandatory to get the $399 DEAL?

I do not have an Apple Music subscription, ordered the watch, got the deal and the free 3 month trial which I have yet to take advantage of. It's not mandatory, it's a bonus.

Reactions: DotCom2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.