Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by raeingoth
Actually, Alienware is pulling out of Best Buy. Not sure if it was because of who's fault but soon you will not find them at your local store.
wow, thats interesting. im curious why too. do you know if best buy serviced these machines (although i would never trust best buy fixing anything of mine) or did they ship them off.

iJon

raeingoth

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
So if I wanted a job as an apple person at best buy, should i go to best buy, an apple store, or online?

Not through Best Buy, BB doesn't handle the hiring (or management/payroll) of any manufacturer reps... Probably Apple once it starts unless they hire their reps out through a secondary company.

raeingoth

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
wow, thats interesting. im curious why too. do you know if best buy serviced these machines (although i would never trust best buy fixing anything of mine) or did they ship them off.

As far as I know the Techs did do some work on them (at least at the stores I've worked at), though not all. My guess is that Alienware was getting little representation probably (hrmmm... never any Alienware reps... very high-end machines... no outside training... yeah) and wanted to sever ties. That or Best Buy wasn't making enough profit off the machines, though they are custom built so I dare say that can't be the case.

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by raeingoth
Not through Best Buy, BB doesn't handle the hiring (or management/payroll) of any manufacturer reps... Probably Apple once it starts unless they hire their reps out through a secondary company.

That's what i thought, thank you.

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
This is great news for Apple. It will definately help increase their marketshare if they have lil' Apple Stores within the Best Buy like in CompUSA. Apple people have to help sell the Macs; otherwise, PC people will steer everyone away.

tazo

macrumors 68040
where macs should really go is costco. people already go in there and buy a thousand dollars worth of stuff. they have a big computer section there, and with ****ty hp systems in the same price range as a imac, i think apple could do well.

just my 2.5 cents

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by tazo
where macs should really go is costco. people already go in there and buy a thousand dollars worth of stuff. they have a big computer section there, and with ****ty hp systems in the same price range as a imac, i think apple could do well.

just my 2.5 cents

That would severely undermine the Apple brand. Putting Apple products in a warehouse shrine to consumerism would make the products seem cheap.

That will never happen.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by e-coli
That would severely undermine the Apple brand. Putting Apple products in a warehouse shrine to consumerism would make the products seem cheap.

That will never happen.

My local Costco used to have CRT iMacs.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by cubist
My local Costco used to have CRT iMacs.
just like circuit city, best buy, and sears. hmmm, lets think why they are not there anymore.

iJon

fred_garvin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003

eMacs are cheap, and a $999 iBook is cheap too. My local costco had a $30k car for sale on display at the front. They have better quality products than target or walmart. At the least, Costco should stock iPods.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Originally posted by e-coli

That will never happen.

Actually, they used to sell iMac (Ctr), and haven't seen them ever since. I think it's because of Apple pricing policy, where they forced everyone to sell at the same price. :mad:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Mr. G4
Actually, they used to sell iMac (Ctr), and haven't seen them ever since. I think it's because of Apple pricing policy, where they forced everyone to sell at the same price. :mad:
not its because best buy didnt want to carry all of apples imac colors.

iJon

bcsimac

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
Bolivar, TN
I won't hold my breathe!

I won't hold my breathe, but I do hope it works out. Apple does need the exposure. However, the wrong exposure is bad; and Apple does not need that. Apple needs positive exposure and positive sales......not negative exposure and negative sales. Just because Apple supplies a sales person doesn't mean that sales person knows a darn thing about Macs. I know...I have trained an Apple supplied sales employee back in 2001 when Apple decided to supply sales staff to CompUSA. I had to train somebody who literally had never used a Mac until Apple gave him an iBook when he went to Cupertino for his introductory training. The guy was totally clueless, but he did want to learn so I will give him that much credit. He wanted to learn...thats more than I can say out of the average pc sales guy who ususally says Macs suck or Apple sucks or Steve Jobs is a big head or whatever word you wanted to use. The point is don't think for a second that because Apple supplied a sales person that the person is trained and qualified because he may not be. Lucky for Apple, they got free training for the guy they supplied to the CompUSA store I worked at because I trained him myself.

Ikash

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
there should be a rule where no bestbuy employee can tough the apple comptuers cuz they don't know much as it is anyways let alone another sys. specially those Micro$oft terrorist who would try to mess the macs up

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Re: i wonder

Originally posted by brandon_deal
i wnoder why they wont carry the 17" powerbook?
read some of my posts above, i explain it there. but basically its like the powermac. its a pro machine and lots of potential high software could walk about the door with this laptop and apple doesnt like big retail chains blowing that. its always been like this.

iJon

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Originally posted by mtuTopHat
Does anyone have an expected date on this? I hope it's soon!
Do you think that employees of Best Buy can get discounts?
Did anyone else check the Best Buy web-site and see that it's temporarily unavailable?

My question exactly! Anyone have any idea of when? I'll buy my G5 this winter at the Apple store in Atlanta but my next iBook (I've got a 466 right now) will probably come from Best Buy...if they are still selling them. The Atlanta AS is 4 hours away and BB is only 30 minutes. Plus my relatives like to give me BB gift cards for my birthday and Christmas. I could get an iBook fairly cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.