Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
Pathfinder 10 has improved a lot. Try it If you can

I went ahead and upgraded on my Big Sur computer. So far, all I can tell is that it still has the bug I have open on their support forums since that's all I tested. They seem to have a single person, Mary, trying to handle many problems. I submitted my bug on 12/3. On 12/8 Mary responded with a form letter asking for a process sample from Activity Monitor. I responded immediately. Then I posted on 12/9 a specific question to try to move things along. Then today I reported that version 10 still has the problem and I asked for further assistance from anyone else reading my post. And, I added:

Mary, your form letter said "Looking forward to your reply". I made an effort to reply quickly. Did you read my reply and the follow-on question?

I don't expect an answer any time soon. I still use the product since there's no other product that comes close for me.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Path Finder's developers should consider removing their Show Path Finder Desktop feature as it hasn't kept up with the times. At all. Even with version 10. Fonts, Icons. Everything is a mess

And yes, I will express my irritation about that feature until I see fit.
New on the list is the Preferences for Path Finder. Could use a more or less full overhaul. And what's with the needless animation on the activity button for copying files. It's not even a fluid animation.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Qspace looks really promising, £/$5 in the app store. Has anyone here tried it and got an opinion on it?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Qspace looks really promising, £/$5 in the app store. Has anyone here tried it and got an opinion on it?

No trial version though so not a player for me.

I couldn't see on one the web site. Feed back as to what they say...
This one does look promising... and for $5 (compared to $30-40 or more for PathFinder and ForkLift), I may give it a go, even without a trial version... $5 is $5, but then again, it's ONLY $5.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
This one does look promising... and for $5 (compared to $30-40 or more for PathFinder and ForkLift), I may give it a go, even without a trial version... $5 is $5, but then again, it's ONLY $5.
Having tried trial versions of other paid Finder alternatives, there's always that something that makes it not quite right... I'd be bummed to find out after paying up, even if it is just $5.

Reactions: dbrewood

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
@tosbsas The main reason for me is that the dual pane tabbed interface is much easier to work with.

I have both Path Finder and ForkLift. Usually I just use ForkLift for remote stuff. Yesterday, I was doing so much remote stuff that I figured I'd try ForkList as a Path Finder replacement.

It seemed every bit as good as Path Finder using it that way except for one thing; in list view ForkLift doesn't retain the tree expansion state when you revisit a folder. So every time I visit a folder, the tree of folders underneath it are hidden. I have to expand the tree again to get to where I want to be. That is a deal breaker for me. Is there a setting that enables remembering the expansion state?

Reactions: Widber

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I was an early user of Path Finder. I liked it very much at first. But later releases introduced many bugs and memory problems and the customer support was dismal. Eventually I switched to ForkLift which met most of my needs but one: in icon view ForkLift can't show file size or image dimensions. Customer support said they had no plans to change that.

So, now I'm back to using Path Finder 10. It's early days, but many of the problems that irritated previously me seem to fixed. We'll see.

Reactions: Widber and tosbsas

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Another ForkLift irritant: If you're dragging a file into a folder in list view, you can only drag the file to the folder name. With Path Finder, you can drag the file anywhere in the folder including the enclosed file list. Perhaps an illustration would be better:

With Path Finder you have a very large target area for drag and drop.

screenshot 2020-12-21 at 06.48.47.jpg

With Fork Lift the target area is much smaller.

screenshot 2020-12-21 at 06.50.55.jpg

Also note that Path Finder displays the image dimensions and size while ForkLift does not.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Interesting looking, but only being available through the MAS is a deal-breaker when there are plenty of alternatives that are available outside.

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Interesting looking, but only being available through the MAS is a deal-breaker when there are plenty of alternatives that are available outside.
I prefer my apps downloaded rather than from the app store too. However, not a deal breaker for me, as the app has to be right. I've tried several alternatives available outside and didn't like any of them for various reasons.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
I was an early user of Path Finder. I liked it very much at first. But later releases introduced many bugs and memory problems and the customer support was dismal. Eventually I switched to ForkLift which met most of my needs but one: in icon view ForkLift can't show file size or image dimensions. Customer support said they had no plans to change that.

So, now I'm back to using Path Finder 10. It's early days, but many of the problems that irritated previously me seem to fixed. We'll see.

Same here. PF has improved greatly and they added
Stuff That was missing badly. Lets see how FL Version 4 is coming along. I was told its still a Long way out

Reactions: Buadhai

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
One major dislike I have with Pathfinder against Forklift is the Tab Handling. In Forklift the tab sets feel a lot better handled. Ideally I'd like both to have the option of opening a Tab set / Workspace (set as a default) on opening the app.

One dislike I do have with Forklift is that is seems you can't open a window, choose the fields you want to use, and set that as a default across all windows.

The Tabbed interface on Pathfinder is not as clean as it is with Forklift.

Pathfinder 10 has improved a lot though and it looking to be usable.

Reactions: Widber and Buadhai

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Have just switched to Forklift 3 after using TotalFinder for many happy years.

The SIP situation with TotalFinder and Big Sur prompted the change - and after some poking around in the settings I've got it pretty much the same i.e. dual pane bliss.

One drawback is the lack of a built in 'visor' function like TotalFinder - this is a keyboard shortcut (Totalfinder default was a double tap of the option key) which brings up the Totalfinder window at same size/position as previous - and will disappear as soon as you click on another window (or double tap Option again), or you can 'sticky' it by pressing on the blue button next to where the usual red/yellow/green ones are.

Good news is I've got that working in Forklift (set to Option-Z) by using a keyboard shortcut setting in Better Touch Tool (which is also one of the best things ever to improve and widen the versatility of the trackpad, touchbar, mouse, clipboard manager and keyboard shortcut manager etc etc)...

Other than that have to dig around and put some keyboard shortcuts in Forklift where they 'should' be ;-) (even move to trash was by default some weird setting instead of Command-delete), and of course Command-X set to Move files/folders...

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Other than that have to dig around and put some keyboard shortcuts in Forklift where they 'should' be ;-) (even move to trash was by default some weird setting instead of Command-delete), and of course Command-X set to Move files/folders...
Which shortcut are you setting the Command-X against as it won't let me set it!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.