Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Which shortcut are you setting the Command-X against as it won't let me set it!?

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 07.43.09.png

yurc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2016
inside your DSDT
Meh, classic Finder FTW !!

スクリーンショット 2020-12-25 20.42.34.png

Joking aside, I am opt for PathFinder too. Trial version is 60 days, long enough to evaluate. Coming from indie background, I am also keen to support small dev this way.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
A better question would be what do I like about Finder? The answer is little. Windows Explorer is far superior, in my view. I like it in Finder where you can have multiple columns to drill down through the folders. But most of Finder is not very intuitive and seems a very dated system to me. It reminds me of some aspects of Mac that they seem reluctant to improve upon. An example is the two minimise buttons on the Mac, the x and the -. I mean what is that all about?

ForkLift looks interesting, as did Path Finder until I read about numerous bugs with the software.

I like the idea of a tabbed file manager.
Did Windows Explorer ever get a tabbed interface? When I used Windows, I used an alternative that did use tabs. When I moved to Mac, once they added tabs and batch rename to Finder I was set. I typically keep two finder windows side by side with several tabs for common folders preloaded. I dislike using file-open dialogs and prefer using drag and drop and clicking on files in Finder.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Did Windows Explorer ever get a tabbed interface? When I used Windows, I used an alternative that did use tabs. When I moved to Mac, once they added tabs and batch rename to Finder I was set. I typically keep two finder windows side by side with several tabs for common folders preloaded. I dislike using file-open dialogs and prefer using drag and drop and clicking on files in Finder.
Windows has Directory Opus as a magnificent Explorer replacement I keep trying to get them to consider a Mac port with no success...

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
It continues to improve with every version. Just alas Windows only...

Yeah, on Windows I use Directory Opus.. it's so much beyond Windows Explorer/MacOS Finder. I wish there was a Mac version as well. I'm so used to Directory Opus on my computer, when I go to another Windows computer to do some file management in Windows Explorer, I'm like.. ugh.. these stone age tools.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Yeah, on Windows I use Directory Opus.. it's so much beyond Windows Explorer/MacOS Finder. I wish there was a Mac version as well. I'm so used to Directory Opus on my computer, when I go to another Windows computer to do some file management in Windows Explorer, I'm like.. ugh.. these stone age tools.
I keep on hitting them every time they issue an update asking when / if the Mac version will be available. Be great if you could join in so that they know the interest is there. :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
There is so much that could be done to improve Finder and Spotlight I don't understand why Apple does not. I don't like to install 3rd party software to control the system, usually it messes something up and having special setup like disabling SIP or whatever.

Reactions: dbrewood

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There is so much that could be done to improve Finder and Spotlight I don't understand why Apple does not. I don't like to install 3rd party software to control the system, usually it messes something up and having special setup like disabling SIP or whatever.

I agree that Apple could/should improve the interface... but neither ForkLift nor PathFinder require and SIP manipulations... true that some 3rd party software may take (or require) that route, but none that I use currently do (Default FolderX, Bartender, ForkLift, Moom and others). That statement is simply FUD.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I agree that Apple could/should improve the interface... but neither ForkLift nor PathFinder require and SIP manipulations... true that some 3rd party software may take (or require) that route, but none that I use currently do (Default FolderX, Bartender, ForkLift, Moom and others). That statement is simply FUD.

I haven't tried them all but in my experience many that mess with system files lead to less than desired results. Its always better if its baked in.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I haven't tried them all but in my experience many that mess with system files lead to less than desired results. Its always better if its baked in.
That can be true of some third party apps. When it comes to Forklift or Alfred, one doesn't need to worry. They are well-established, tried and true, as the saying goes. I have both apps on my M1 and feel very comfortable using them. I haven't had any problems.

Speaking of mess up, Finder has been a problem many times over the years (as well).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Which parts of it, searching only I guess?
Searching, launching apps and services, as well as automation etc. So much better than the stock Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.