Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hey guys,

I searched for this thread and I'm sure it exists, but I couldn't find it - at least a recent version of it, and software moves fast.

One of my goals when I made the switch to Mac with my 14" MacBook Pro was to leave Adobe and any subscription services behind.

I just used Affinity's Black Friday sale to purchase Photo, Publisher, and Designer. We will see how they work for my personal use.

But I'm also curious what you guys recommend for a non-subscription Lightroom alternative. I have an A7iii with a variety of both official Sony lenses and vintage ones without any software profiles. I am not a professional by any means, but I did find myself utilizing many of Lightrooms advanced features pretty extensively that aren't within Apple's own Photos application.

Metamorphoser

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
Berlin - Germany
I use DxO Photolab 5 as an alternative. Works pretty good. Only missing the catalogue.
But otherwise the noise reduction is awesome

Actually you should find some Black Friday deals for DxO.

Reactions: Clix Pix

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I use DxO Photolab 5 as an alternative. Works pretty good. Only missing the catalogue.
But otherwise the noise reduction is awesome

Actually you should find some Black Friday deals for DxO.

Hey, thanks for that! I'll look into it. It's half off right now and that's promising!

Stupid question, but, what's the "catalogue"?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Hey, thanks for that! I'll look into it. It's half off right now and that's promising!

Stupid question, but, what's the "catalogue"?

Unlike Lightroom and some other programs which offer a DAM (digital asset management system, AKA catalog), DXO does not include a catalog and instead allows the user to put his or her folders and files wherever they choose and they can easily be moved to other places as desired.

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
My iMac photography related software is Capture One Pro, Pixelmator Pro, Photo Mechanic (for preview, grading and selection/management of all the raw files) and PTGui Pro for pano stitching (Capture One Pro 22 will have this stitching feature)
I am very pleased with Capture One Pro as it handles raw pics very well and post edit features are outstanding.. Well this is just my experience..
Lots of these software platforms give you the option to download a trial version..so here you go...shop for knowledge.
Enjoy

Last edited:

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Capture One or Affinity Photo spring to mind for me. I tried Capture One but I couldnt be fussed to learn the new workflow. That is me being lazy BTW not Capture One’s fault

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
Capture One or Affinity Photo spring to mind for me. I tried Capture One but I couldnt be fussed to learn the new workflow. That is me being lazy BTW not Capture One’s fault
Indeed, it's a getting used to .. However, they have tons of YouTube tutorials narrated by them..

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Capture One was just too much for me -- it is a fine program, undoubtedly, but much more suited to the person who has far more complex editing / retouching needs and skills than I do. I spent some time trying to learn it and finally gave up, as the features and functions go far beyond anything I'll ever need.

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
Capture One was just too much for me -- it is a fine program, undoubtedly, but much more suited to the person who has far more complex editing / retouching needs and skills than I do. I spent some time trying to learn it and finally gave up, as the features and functions go far beyond anything I'll ever need.
With the latests updates, Pixelmator Pro (Black Friday sale started ...50% off) is doing quite a nice job and easy to handle.. I agree C1P is complex once you start getting into curves, levels, RGB, Luma, etc..

Reactions: mainemini and kenoh

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I really have been very happy with DXO PhotoLab -- now on v.5. It does what I want and need and seems intuitive and gets me where I want to be at the present time but also allows for growth and further learning as I work in the program more over time. My primary interest is in photography and getting the shot(s), and the whole editing/retouching process now required of us really doesn't thrill me. I miss the days when we shot film and we could run by the lab and throw some film canisters at them, they'd process them, we'd look at the contact sheets, mark some up for further processing, and a day or two after that would have pretty much what we wanted, thanks to their seemingly magical skills.....

On the other hand I have to say that I also appreciate having full control over my images right here at home on a computer. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I had a love/hate relationship with the darkroom, too, and I am sure that I am not alone in that. What we can do today moves so far beyond those days that it is still rather dazzling at times. I just wish sometimes that it didn't have to be me responsible for editing the images after a shooting session!

A while back I tried Pixelmator and it didn't appeal to me (don't recall now just why). Haven't looked at Pixelmator Pro, but that sounds as though the program does take things further than in the initial versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buck987

USAntigoon

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Rochester Hills, MI
Thank God there are enough choices to satisfiy
each individual need.. Photography is a very broad subject..Of course in the digital age and with the current 20Mb plus pics in RAW, lots of new possibilities are opening to just give that added touch.

Reactions: kenoh

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Capture One user here and I love it - it works the best for my particular camera systems. Great online resources, videos, etc. I use it and Photoshop, though I have delved a bit into Affinity Photo (but not much). Lots of stuff out there though!

airbusking

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Texas
Affinity Photo is rather robust and one time purchase price is reasonable. Watch for black Friday sales. I personally don't like subscription model plans.
I've used GIMP to get some understanding of it, and it's ok. I have a Samsung Ultra and now using their tools, it does a decent job but not nearly what you do w Affinity. Have fun.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I keep hearing you guys recommending Affinity Photo as a possible alternative. Excuse my ignorance, but does Affinity Photo have catalogues and easy ways to store tons of RAWs and such for editing and browsing?

bsamcash

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
San Jose, CA
I keep hearing you guys recommending Affinity Photo as a possible alternative. Excuse my ignorance, but does Affinity Photo have catalogues and easy ways to store tons of RAWs and such for editing and browsing?
No it does not. It’s purely an image manipulation application like Photoshop. Are you looking for a Lightroom alternative?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
No it does not. It’s purely an image manipulation application like Photoshop. Are you looking for a Lightroom alternative?

That's what I thought when it comes to Affinity Photo.

But yes, have some good recommendations here I'm going to look into over the long weekend. Any thoughts on Lightroom alternatives? :)

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Affinity Photo or Gimp are the best Photoshop alternatives I've found. I've yet to find a serviceable alternative to Lightroom (Adobe's RAW developer), especially for the a7iii RAWs.
I just tried out Affinity Photo: it's on sale but it's not worth it. Pixelmator Pro is 10x better.
Still have to try DxO

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I just tried out Affinity Photo: it's on sale but it's not worth it. Pixelmator Pro is 10x better.
Still have to try DxO
Affinity Photo is not a simple photo editing app, but very powerful. If you are familiar with PhotoShop ad layers, Affinity Photo can be the app that replaces PS CS6. But it does not stop there, since there are other apps that allow you to design, and to publish the work you create, just like the Adobe apps.

Affinity Photo:

Here is review of DXO PhotoLab 5:

While I have both apps, DXO PhotoLab 5 with the DXO's NIK software bundle, because it's easier to learn than Affinity Photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: katbel

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Affinity Photo is not a simple photo editing app, but very powerful. If you are familiar with PhotoShop ad layers, Affinity Photo can be the app that replaces PS CS6. But it does not stop there, since there are other apps that allow you to design, and to publish the work you create, just like the Adobe apps.
Neither Pixelmator it's easy for a novice and I used in the past PS . But I'm learning and it has layers as well.
What I don't like with Affinity Photo are the tools too tiny -tried all prefs- and I already know Pixelmator Pro.
Have you ever tried it? It's on sale but, careful, the latest release doesn't work with Mojave, it starts from Catalina-Cancerlina that I do not want to install AT ALL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.