Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philjo

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
I’m reading this thread with interest. I currently Use Lightroom 5.7 running on my 2011 Mac mini (OS X 10.13 High Sierra which is the latest the hardware will support).

I will be looking to replace the Mac mini in the next year or so. But LR 5.7 won’t run on the M1 macs.
I have only used Lightroom twice so far this year so cannot currently justify any subscription model to upgrade Lightroom.
I do have parallels so another option on a new Mac might be to put OS X 10.13 on a VM in parallels and reinstall LR 5.7 there.
Ideally I Would want to upgrade my LR 5.7 to 6 but I think this is no longer possible?

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I do have parallels so another option on a new Mac might be to put OS X 10.13 on a VM in parallels and reinstall LR 5.7 there.
Ideally I Would want to upgrade my LR 5.7 to 6 but I think this is no longer possible?
Likewise, I have parallels for a stock charting program (TC 2000) not written for Mac. No problem using this since don't save anything. It may be my lack oof adeptness with Parallels but had a problem with saving windows program running under Parallels. (I think I was testing Corel's Paintbrush Pro - another Windows only program). The issue was, it would only save to the NTFC formatted partition which would be expected due to the Windows format, but it also could not read or locate files within the Apple partition since Windows can't access it or even recognize that the drive exists. Again, I didn't research for a work around because, frankly, I didn't have the time to troubleshoot what essentially was an experiment with a 30 day trial. Just something you may want to look for.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I've been wanting to leave Lightroom/Adobe for years, but I can't find anything that replicates the catalog/IPTC editing/tagging functionality in Lightroom Classic. For processing/editing images, there are a ton of really good Adobe alternatives. For cataloging/tagging, there seems to be nothing, and It's hard to me to believe there are no decent alternative out there by now that even equals what Lightroom/Aperture did 10+ years ago.
Yes!
I’m really frustrated. Features like versions should be table stakes at this point. And I have the feeling that many (pseudo-DAM) applications punt on the management aspect and simply tell users “we just use the file system, this is what you (should) want anyway, right?!” Sticking to that philosophy makes features like versions impossible, though, as well as many other deeper sorting features.
The ones that I can find, typically don't allow for proper IPTC editing (just viewing) or tagging. RawPower has a nice UI, but it is extremely limited.
My impression is that RawPower is limited by the capabilities of Photos’s SQLite database. Since Photos does not support versions and stacks (why, Apple?!?), neither does RawPower.
My workflow involves looking at large numbers of images stored in custom file system folders, comparing, rating, and selecting best shots and mass tagging via IPTC fields and keywords. Being able to search by this metadata. Considering the lack of apps that do this, do other Photographers not do any of this? Then either using Lightroom's develop module to process, or output to CaptureOne or Pixelmator Pro. I could care less about cloud, mobile, or AI-based editing features. What I'd like to see is AI-based tagging features for photos stored locally.
I’m baffled that neither Apple nor most others have seen fit to make it easy to ingest large numbers of images. Marking photos for deleting, but not deleting them yet was sooooo nice and useful as I got to double-check whether I’d really want to delete some photos. Stacking photos by time was amazing, that’d group photos the correct way 90 % of the time, and I could stack the other 10 % by hand. Then I’d tag them (name, location, etc.).
I feel like Adobe has become a company that hasn't meaningfully updated their apps in years. Requires you to re-buy their non-updated app on a yearly basis (via subscription cost) for no benefits. Ended development of Lightroom 'Classic' in order to focus on a new 'cloud' Lightroom, which offers no appreciable benefits and cuts many necessary features, only so they can require you to store your entire catalog in the cloud to use the app, which is impossible for most photographers, and offers no benefits if you properly backup, but tons of downsides, like requiring fast internet to do anything.
Adobe has gotten quite fat, and most artists I know have switched away from them, are in the process of switching away from them or at the very least are trying to switch away from them. At least when it comes to illustrations, Adobe has lost out. Both, my wife and a very good friend (who made the cover for my last book) use Procreate, which cost them $10! For my (very humble) purposes, Pixelmator does everything I want Photoshop to do. For more serious folks, there are alternatives, too.

Just when it comes to a Lightroom-like or Aperture-like app with a focus on DAM, there doesn’t seem to be a good alternative out there. Ugh.

But mainly so they can just keep selling you storage space just to be able to use the application. 20GB of storage (in the $9.99 photography plan) is a joke. Just one extended shooting trip with RAW would be a couple hundred GB. Which at best makes me feel like the new Adobe cloud products are focused on consumers and the smart phone crowd (like Apple & Google Photos) and abandoning professionals and serious hobbyists who can't work around the myriad of restrictions, and at worst just a complete and total cash grab by purposely restricting their products in new ways and changing licensing. Not to mention the CC bloat. I don't understand why photographers put up with it, and why there are no good complete alternatives (other than for processing) after years of this from Adobe.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Just when it comes to a Lightroom-like or Aperture-like app with a focus on DAM, there doesn’t seem to be a good alternative out there. Ugh.

That's true. Also, if you a ton have of Lightroom-edited images already in Adobe's DAM, none of the editing alternatives offer a way to import those images retaining the non-destructive edits. That's the deal-killer for me.

However...using Lightroom from the beginning (and so glad I didn't go with Apple's Aperture app after giving it a lot of thought comparing it to LR - LR was far superior and I knew Adobe would prevail long term in image processing science), I finally went with a LR subscription two years ago.

Looking back, that was another good decision. I like LR a lot and have enjoyed the updates. At this point being extremely happy with LR, I'm just not interested in looking at other alternatives.

Reactions: OreoCookie

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
That's true. Also, if you a ton have of Lightroom-edited images already in Adobe's DAM, none of the editing alternatives offer a way to import those images retaining the non-destructive edits. That's the deal-killer for me.
The truth of the matter is: the more useful the DAM part, the more info is capture in it, be it versions, grouped images, albums, star ratings, books, etc. None of that is reflected in the file system. That’s also why I personally don’t care so much about DAMs being file system based: I have had those for many years and I know that this doesn’t help me much in return.
However...using Lightroom from the beginning (and so glad I didn't go with Apple's Aperture app after giving it a lot of thought comparing it to LR - LR was far superior and I knew Adobe would prevail long term in image processing science), I finally went with a LR subscription two years ago.
I don’t want to derail this into a LR vs. Aperture discussions, we have had them too long, but I just don’t get along with LR‘s UI. For me Aperture was superior because the UI didn’t lock me into modules. I hate that.
Looking back, that was another good decision. I like LR a lot and have enjoyed the updates. At this point being extremely happy with LR, I'm just not interested in looking at other alternatives.
I really wish at this point I could get to like LR, but I just can’t. Taking photos is a hobby for me that is meant to be fun. Lightroom is not fun for me, whereas Aperture was. Ditto for all other DAMs or pseudo-DAMs. Again, I’m not trying to beat a dead, decomposed carcass of a horse, just that other DAMs, including LR, don’t spark any joy. Since Aperture’s demise, my camera has started to collect a lot of dust. And my secondary camera, which broke (electronics died) has not yet been replaced either.

One thing that isn’t a hurdle for me is whether software is “bought” or I subscribe to it. Don’t care, especially since the prices have gone down for software.

Reactions: citysnaps

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I have Lightroom (Windows) and have been pondering the trial of ACDSEE.
I used ACDSee a LONG time ago, before I started using Lightroom, and thought it was quite good. (Before the first version of Lightroom). Worth a look for those looking for an alternative.

Edit: it appears the Mac version of ACDSee is not as good as the Windows version

Last edited:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I used ACDSee a LONG time ago, before I started using Lightroom, and thought it was quite good. (Before the first version of Lightroom). Worth a look for those looking for an alternative.

Edit: it appears the Mac version of ACDSee is not as good as the Windows version
ACDSee is, unless something substantial has changed, an old-school DAM such as iView Media Pro with functionality bolted on top of it. I didn’t like it very much to be honest last time I tried it, which was maybe 2 years ago. (Although I have used ACDSee first on a Windows PC 25 years ago … ;))

Reactions: wilberforce

RonPNW

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2022
I'm in a similar position, a ton of edited RAW files, edit new pics about once a month, not enough use to pay $120 a year, needing to move to an M1 and currently using LR6. I never used the LR file system and kept all the data in a standard file system with XMP sidecars. For me, it makes it easier to save and manage. Just about to drop the hammer on a new Mac, here is my plan.

* Transfer all the files to the new Mac and download / activate the latest LR version, use it for a year.
* Cancel at a year. The fine print says that you can access, print, convert all of your pics forever. Just no new edits.
* Buy the latest version of Capture One as the new non destructive editor.
* To just view or print old pics (with the LR edits stored in XMP sidecar) use old LR or BR (free), for new edits use C1.
* There is a good chance that the source files will stay the same. That is the files (mine are in Year/Qtr/Event) have both original source RAW file, XMP sidecar and C1 data can be viewed in LR/BR (no C1 edits) or C1 (no LR edits). BR is a great free product and I'll probably continue to use that as my sorting / culling tool.

Ron

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I've used Photoshop since 5.0 and Lightroom since it's first release... I have tried Aperture and some others but I just freaking love Adobe.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
On1 Photo Raw 2022? Am I the only one?
A lot of photographs are using Photo Raw. But Photo Raw 2023 and soon 2023.5 offer a lot of shortcuts that save a lot of time with AI editing. You can turn AI off, of course, but you can also leave on, and fine tune the image to your liking, manually.

Photo Raw 2023:

Last edited:

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I stopped spending time researching, trialing and debating Lightroom replacement long ago. For $10/month it’s not worth my time. The DAM is superb. The editing side is easily bolstered by the use of inexpensive apps like Iridient XTransformer (Fuji) and Topaz.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.