Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Mac Tower would make the best Mac mini enclosure?

• Blue and White

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Quicksilver

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Mirror Drive Doors

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • PowerMac G5/Mac Pro

Votes: 34 47.9%

• Total voters

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
OK, I've been inspired by this site, http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/mini/dock/, to do a custome mini build for my next system. My (and most everyone else's) biggest complaints about the mini are the laptop drives and the GPU. Not much I can do about the GPU, but the drives are a problem I CAN solve. So, I'd like to rig up an Intel mini inside an older Power Mac case and use full sized desktop hardware.

Got me thinking that I am curious about the opinion on best looking (non-AIO) Mac ever. I'm a fan of the MDD, personally, although the Cube is pretty close.

I've intentionally started at the B&W because before that the PowerMacs were pretty much beige boxes, so not all that distinctive. Now, one thing to consider is that all of these machines EXCEPT the Cube will take a standard 5.25" optical drive, which is a consideration for this particular project. So, while it's probably the best looking, it's not the best looking machine that qualifies, imo, as a "tower".

So, what do you all think? What's the best looking Mac tower to do a mini mod job into?

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I didn't like th G5 tower when it first came out, but it has grown on me, I do like the Mirrored drive though, but just think of the finger prints

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't really think the Cube qualifies as a tower. The Graphite PowerMac should be on this poll instead.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Quadra 800.

quadra.gif

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Quicksilver!

The MDD looked like Apple slapped a lot of aftermarket chrome onto it. Reminds me of the lifted pickups with all that extra chrome slapped all over the place with double sided tape, though, strangely I like it better than a G5, and I owned both and loved the G5 too :eek: .

Quadra 800.

A close second in my book ;)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I love the MDD look. The Quicksilver looked kinda ridiculous, and the earlier G4's are kinda childish. My all-time fave tower, though, is the PowerMac G3 (beige). It's ridiculously over-sized, and there's that bit on the side that just feels slapped-on. Love it.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I don't really think the Cube qualifies as a tower. The Graphite PowerMac should be on this poll instead.

The Graphite PM and the B&W are basically the same with a slight color change, which is why I didn't include it. I agree the Cube is only barely a tower, I included it because it was a PM and at least ALMOST a tower. :p

I agree, though, that the Grpahite PM was probably better looking than it's brother the B&W.

I'm surprised at the people who have mentioned the beige PMs. I always thought they looks like something IBM built in the mid-90's and sold OS/2 on. Kinda cute because the are so ugly. :p

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
I like the Mac Pro/G5 too but they need colored blue or red Mac Pros badly.

Ew, talk about gaudy! No offense, but that sounds... horrible. It's kinda cute with the nanos and the shuffles, I suppose... but an entire Mac Pro. No thanks!

I'm not a fan of the MacPro/G5 case. I think it's huge and unwieldy. The Quicksilver is growing on me, though. Are those the same size as the B&W cases? Also, is that a speaker in the front of it?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I'm not a fan of the MacPro/G5 case. I think it's huge and unwieldy. The Quicksilver is growing on me, though. Are those the same size as the B&W cases? Also, is that a speaker in the front of it?

i do agree that it would be better in a smaller form factor. but i think the materials, edges, and look of it is great.

the Quicksilvers and B&W just look too plasticy to me.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
HEY!!!! WTF?? Where's my Sawtooth at? Moderators please delete this thread, thank you... :mad:

The Sawtooth was in the same case as the B&W PM, I do believe... I only listed the systems that had a new case design. The only one I think I missed was the Graphite, but it was just a B&W with a new color...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The Quicksilver is growing on me, though. Are those the same size as the B&W cases? Also, is that a speaker in the front of it?

Same case, harder and shinier plastic, and the front has a speaker.

Here are some shots of my Quickaudio (Digital Audio Logic board inside)

Quicksilver case
case.JPG

Inside
mobo.JPG

Ports
ports.JPG

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Ew, talk about gaudy! No offense, but that sounds... horrible. It's kinda cute with the nanos and the shuffles, I suppose... but an entire Mac Pro. No thanks!

Come on, isn't owning a Mac about being fun and enjoying life? The Mac Pro looks like it came from a Stanley Kubrick movie. My girlfriend would love to see my blue and white computer.

I don't mind the size, I just don't like the lack of color schemes of the Mac Pro. At least the iMac is white and can be covered with a different color if needs be.

Seriously where are the good ole days of Mac coloration? Perhaps it has something to do with who's in office today? :p

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I think the Sawtooth color(s) inspired the theme of Leopard. Noticed the plain gray on the Sawtooth now look at the Leopard theme. The brushed metal of the Mac Pro cases are out of Apple's fashion. Sorry, time to throw away your new Mac Pro's to match the new theme of Leopard.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Same case, harder and shinier plastic, and the front has a speaker.

Here are some shots of my Quickaudio (Digital Audio Logic board inside)
<clip pics>

Ooo, that's nice... I'm really tempted to build this! How quiet are the PSU in the QS? Are they standard ATX or something Apple specific? It occurred to me I'd need to power the drives with an external (well internal, external relative to the mini's standard external PSU) PSU... Wow, that got pedantic.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Well, so far the G5 has surprised me with it's massive domination! The Cube is, unsurprisingly, popular. The MDD and QS are running a close race for 3rd, and the B&W is pretty far in the back. I'm honestly surprised by the MacPro design being as popular as it is, but I can see where it people think it looks the most "serious and professional" of the lot.

I've found a few QS cases on eBay for $40-80 shipped, so my plan is definitely formulating... I'm going to certainly try and hold out for new mini's, but we'll see how long my patience can keep up when I start to fill out my new computer fund in a couple weeks. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.