Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Mac Tower would make the best Mac mini enclosure?

• Blue and White

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Quicksilver

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Mirror Drive Doors

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • PowerMac G5/Mac Pro

Votes: 34 47.9%

• Total voters

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Thanks for posting pics... I wish the cube had a standard optical drive. :( I would love an Intel mini in a Cube, but an Intel mini in a MDD wouldn't be half bad.

At least that would free up some space to build a little FW RAID inside the case... :p

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
Yes that link was very interesting how he hacked the mini and put it in a older case with regular size HD and CD/DVD. But I'll stick with my factory built one. I dob't notice too much lag.

As for the cases the colorfull days were good. B/W adn even my g4 sawtooth was good beofre I sold it. But the new ones are nice too.

Actualy I still have a G3 desktop and Tower at home 2.

Also not bad. A little palin btu not bad.

Thanks,
ivnj

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Yes that link was very interesting how he hacked the mini and put it in a older case with regular size HD and CD/DVD. But I'll stick with my factory built one. I dob't notice too much lag.

As for the cases the colorfull days were good. B/W adn even my g4 sawtooth was good beofre I sold it. But the new ones are nice too.

Actualy I still have a G3 desktop and Tower at home 2.

Also not bad. A little palin btu not bad.

Thanks,
ivnj
As a mini owner I can safely say that my biggest gripe with the mini is the drive speed (and after that sizes available, and price per gb). I added a 3.5" drive over FW400 and it's much better now, but I want SPEED SPEED SPEED in my disk access! When you start working with multi-gig video files, or even several hundred meg photo files you start to feel that slow drive really holding you back.

Also the optical disc speeds on all consumer Macs is embarrassing. I've got a 3 year old Dell with a 2x(!) DVD-RW (read speed is like 12x or something) that DESTROYS my mini in copy to HDD fucntions.

Seriously, though, you really feel the crappy disk speed when you start working a mini beyond every day use.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
But I may never go beyond every day use. Besides I'm ordering a FW chasis and making an external burner anyway. But for my needs the mini is good enough.

Thanks,
ivnj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.