Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
I'm using NextDNS CLI filtering with browser adblock; I cannot name which adblock is best, but I only need it to block YouTube ads.
Although, I am running on Ubiquiti hardware.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2022
I use NextDNS profiles for Mac and iOS. This is the most important one and gives you the first boost to a better and safer internet.
For the adblocker, I find Adguard an electron app, heavy and redundant, especially if you already have a DNS blocker, so I just use Wipr which is the lightest on resources.

Also 1Blocker is very good, as mentioned, but it is a subscription.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I use NextDNS profiles for Mac and iOS. This is the most important one and gives you the first boost to a better and safer internet.
For the adblocker, I find Adguard an electron app, heavy and redundant, especially if you already have a DNS blocker, so I just use Wipr which is the lightest on resources.

1Blocker offers a lifetime plan. I think I paid $34 dollars for it (with coupon).

Cancelled
Sep 8, 2022
1Blocker offers a lifetime plan. I think I paid $34 dollars for it (with coupon).
I used to buy the previous version of the developer's blocker which was renamed Blocker X or something similar.
He stopped updating the payed app after a while and switched everybody to the new 1Blocker subscription. Lots of people didn't like the behaviour. So I wouldn't trust his lifetime things.

Wipr is just 2$, whatever happens after doesn't matter. Very kind developer and still resolves every issue you submit the day after.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
o I've read the privacy policy of 1Blocker and it looks very good. I also vibe with the other infos they have on their site. But I don't think it's open source, so of course it's a matter of trust again. If we're speaking only legally right now, I have more reasons to trust them than AdGuard, who openly states they may sell your data with your consent, and who also admit to collect your passwords, phone numbers, credit card data, etc.
I am not sure where you get that from in regard to Adguard. I start here https://adguard.com/en/privacy.html where it says they do not share or sell any personal data.

mrmacuser69

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2023
I've been using AdGaurd, HIGHLY recommend. I've used multiple other adblockers when I had a windows PC, and they would always either show ads or break the site I was using. In the years I've been a Mac user with AdGaurd, neither one of those has happened ONCE! Great software, even the free version.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
hello
im searchn for an apparatus that has 2 inflatable wheels, a stem bar, chain driven, maybe speed gears
that can I pedal from point A to B
suggestions?

well the only thing is a bicycle, noting else.
my point is
if something works, why not use that?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
what are they gonna steal, and give to?
what do they care if im typing here, they can't offer me anything.

That’s a bit like saying you don’t care if someone breaks into your house to steal a television, because you don’t have one.
Good for you.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
hello
im searchn for an apparatus that has 2 inflatable wheels, a stem bar, chain driven, maybe speed gears
that can I pedal from point A to B
suggestions?

well the only thing is a bicycle, noting else.
my point is
if something works, why not use that?

Well, in my eyes it doesn't work if it's collecting your passwords, credit card data, phone numbers and tells you it sells your data if you consent to it. How is that "working" for you? The function of an ad blocker is more than just blocking ads in my eyes.

It's all about wether you want comfort (a visual experience, which is blocking ads) or if you want actual privacy. I am looking for privacy.

I am not sure where you get that from in regard to Adguard. I start here https://adguard.com/en/privacy.html where it says they do not share or sell any personal data.

Don't just read the first sentence. It literally says "we never disclose, share or sell your data, unless we have your consent". And let me guess, we're clicking on a consent button once we install the app and accept the terms and conditions and confirm we've read the privacy policy, right? Good to know that somewhere else the app states that it is collecting passwords, credit card data and phone numbers:
screenshot-png.2150207

I'm using NextDNS CLI filtering with browser adblock; I cannot name which adblock is best, but I only need it to block YouTube ads.
Although, I am running on Ubiquiti hardware.

I have to look into these things, but you guys sound like you have some of the cleanest solutions.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
That’s a bit like saying you don’t care if someone breaks into your house to steal a television, because you don’t have one.
Good for you.
but no one is going to break into my home and steal a TV.
my house is kinda burglar proof and my neighbors dogs won't like strangers creeping about.

im just answering a question asked, what is the best Mac Ad Blocker
since I only use AdGuard on 6  devices, my answer is AdGuard, the green one.
my other visiting this tread might need this advice and move on.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I use 1Blocker, but I have been in communication with the developer as it has had some issues. Websites are finding ways around it and the developer is working on an update that would block ads using the YouTube JS script that is installed with 1Blocker. Currently sites like Facebook, Twitter, CNN, Tubi & Roku Channel all have found ways to get their ads through 1Blocker. It does block YouTube ads still though. It worked perfect on Safari 15 but the issues started with Safari 16.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
but no one is going to break into my home and steal a TV.
my house is kinda burglar proof and my neighbors dogs won't like strangers creeping about.

im just answering a question asked, what is the best Mac Ad Blocker
since I only use AdGuard on 6  devices, my answer is AdGuard, the green one.
my other visiting this tread might need this advice and move on.

Why would someone break into your home when your door is open and you invited them? But the thing that you seem to not understand is that not everyone wants people walking in their home.

Adblockers can be used for different purposes. You are using AdGuard for practical (comfort) reasons, which is to not have ads displayed. This is certainly a feature the best Adblocker needs to have, but the best Adblocker also needs to take care of your privacy, which it certainly does not if it collects or sells your data.

Reactions: Buntschwalbe

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Don't just read the first sentence. It literally says "we never disclose, share or sell your data, unless we have your consent". And let me guess, we're clicking on a consent button once we install the app and accept the terms and conditions and confirm we've read the privacy policy, right? Good to know that somewhere else the app states that it is collecting passwords, credit card data and phone numbers.
I'm not trying to defend AdGuard here, I don't use the app, but this is Safari's wording and not theirs. Any content blocker software will necessarily need to access the content of the web browser in order to determine what to block and Safari is warning the user about this.

EDIT: If you're curious to see what AdGuard does behind the scenes, it's open source and you can browse through the source code.

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6 and gilby101

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Adblockers can be used for different purposes. You are using AdGuard for practical (comfort) reasons, which is to not have ads displayed. This is certainly a feature the best Adblocker needs to have, but the best Adblocker also needs to take care of your privacy, which it certainly does not if it collects or sells your data.
Thank god Safari is warning me about this!

There's nothing saying that AdGuard (or the other blockers that people recommend) secretly collects and sells the user's data. Safari is warning you that a content blocker could access your personal information. That's true for any blocker that runs locally and doesn't simply block ip-addresses. That warning would show up for any blocker, good or bad.

I get the feeling that there's no pleasing you here. Want to maximize your privacy? Stop using the internet entirely. I have friends that don't own credit cards or smartphones to avoid tracking.

Thanks, will check it out! I haven't gotten into VPNs yet, don't know much about them tbh.

You'll like that. Letting a company's server go through your web browsing and block your content instead of your own machine. ;)

East India Company

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2023
I would like to thank the OP for putting the subject forward and insisting on the privacy side as well as the TOC fine prints. We don’t do it enough and rightfully so the OP shows us that it is important. I never thought about it and never read the terms of 1Blocker for example. So thank you and I just installed nextdns.

piattj

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2021
I use Brave & Safari. For Brave I use Brave Shields. For Safari, I use Wipr (but don't enable Wipr Extra).
Never bothered by ads, even in YT.

Reactions: Vref

Cyby-CyberDog

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2021
Interesting thread!

I am using AdGuard on all my devices iOS/iPadOS/MacOS/Windows and AdGuard Home installed on my homeserver.

I checked outgoing traffic and found nothing to worry about.

How I checked outgoing traffic:

To check the outgoing traffic of AdGuard on macOS, follow these steps:

1. Open AdGuard and go to the "Protection" tab.
  2. Click on "Traffic usage statistics."
  3. Check the outgoing traffic data displayed on the screen.
Note: If you need more detailed information, you can export the statistics to a file and analyze it further.

To check the outgoing network traffic on macOS, you can use the following methods:

1. Activity Monitor:
    • Open the "Activity Monitor" from Spotlight or from the Applications > Utilities folder.
    • Go to the "Network" tab and monitor the "Sent" and "Rcvd" columns for the desired process.
  2. Terminal:
    • Open Terminal and run the command sudo lsof -i -P -n
    • Look for the line that contains the "IPv4" value in the "TYPE" column and the "SEND" value in the "COMMAND" column.
  3. Network Utility:
    • Open the "Network Utility" from Spotlight or from the Applications > Utilities folder.
    • Go to the "Flow" tab and select the desired network interface.
    • Click on the "Monitor" button to start monitoring network traffic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.