Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quick.spot1926

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
I think uBlock dose the same but Firefox Container it also puts Facebook into a 'container' so it cant leak out and see what your browser is doing elsewhere if you do use Facebook on the web, which I do, I have friend scattered across the world and not all have iPhones oddly enough.
hi, i have relied on Firefox Tab Containers to help me not ruin my whole day in ServiceNow. but i've fallen head over heels in love with Arc and had to do some experimenting but an Arc Space with a seperate Arc Profile is silo'ed sufficiently for my purposes. Safari's tab groups in combination with profiles seemed to work as well but i didn't test as closely as Arc.

i use AdGuard home running via Docker as the resolver devices get via dhcp, and then i use a TLS encrypted upstream resolver for AdGuard to use at CloudFlare. my gateway (unify dream machine) offers an ad-blocker as well and i've turned it on a few times but i'm more comfortable with AdGuard Home and CloudFlare's anycast resolvers that align with the posture of my homenets personally.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Like some others, I use AdBlock Pro ($12 a year, I believe, for the whole family, cross device). I use Brave Browser, stay away from Google, if I can, and have a VPN.

Nothing is 100%.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 2.57.22 AM.png
I'm trying something called Ghostery. The extension for Safari seems to work fine. However the one for FireFox and even their own web browser doesn't seem to work. At least not for youtube. When trying to watch a video I get a message saying "You're offline. Check your connection". Any way to fix that?

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I'm trying something called Ghostery. The extension for Safari seems to work fine. However the one for FireFox and even their own web browser doesn't seem to work. At least not for youtube. When trying to watch a video I get a message saying "You're offline. Check your connection". Any way to fix that?

I use Ghostery and Firefox on my work computer, (MSwindows). The only work around I found for that issue is to not click on the video you want to watch, right click and open in a new window and it will work.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
In Firefox, I use Ghostery/uBlock Origin. Outside of that, I have AdGuard and then 'Lockdown' (link) going. Does the job for me with no noticeable performance hit.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I use Ghostery and Firefox on my work computer, (MSwindows). The only work around I found for that issue is to not click on the video you want to watch, right click and open in a new window and it will work.

I never thought of that. But it seems like uBlock Origin was included with FireFox so I tried that and it seems to be working. I tried the Ghostery browser but I had the same issue. Otherwise it seems to be a good web browser.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008

no reason to use ghostry or any paid blockers. ublock origin does it all for free. If you are on safari, you can use Wipr or 1blocker both paid but cheap enough. Or you can use Brave Broswer that has built in adblocker even on iOS version

Reactions: Miat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.