Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I only understand 50% of what you're saying (e.g. I understood none of what "use flashrom on the 4b to up sproms, in multiple devices" means), so I guess I'm under-qualified. But still interested. For some day.

My use of my Raspberry Pi 4b (the latest&greatest (as far as that may be construed)) is approaching about 4% of the potential of that little device <shrugs>

Consider it said that most devices utilise eeprom chips to house ROMs, and--we as users--are able to read, modify, and re-imprint said ROMs into these little eeprom chips.

We can thus change how they operate, to their core.

You, John, are as qualified as any other individual with regards to such things.

It's just that you've not realised the need ;)

This lack of need is no impediment.

[edited for correct OP attribution]

One day you will become brave, and relinquish your inherent need to grasp control over off-the-shelf endeavours.

When your mind eventually imprints the "Oh! My!", you will surely find yourself free from the fear of straying Off The Reservation ;)

foo2

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
It does require a bit of programmatic comprehension to get things rolling, but it's a far more simple a process than installing bog-standard Windows on bare-metal x64 machinery.

As far as maintenance:

I often go multiple weeks between my updates . . . I last checked my Dashboard about a month ago; and, just now . . . everything is currently 'latest'.

My rPI 4b is sitting-atop my Synology 920+ in my network cabinet, and I rarely know it exists.

The only unfortunate aspect of all this, is that I occasionally have to remove it from Production to use flashrom on the 4b to up sproms, in multiple devices. I really should have purchased multiples back when they were readily-available, and reasonably priced :(
Question from the crowd: Why not run the PiHole on the Synology? All in one, less stuff required...

Reactions: splifingate

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I have used AdGuard which blocks pretty much all web ads and YouTube ads with as well a tool to remove sections of the web pages but in YouTube it has some issues ri load the page without the video ads. But the main issue is that it slows safari a lot!

I tried Hyperweb which is a very comprehensive ad blocker and content blocker with other perks like embedded dark mode for safari so instead of having 2 or 3 extension this one does it all while keeping the web surfing quite fast. But as for privacy I can’t say if they do collect data or not. On Mac it only available with Google Chrome and Firefox for now supposed to support safari soon. On iPhone it works with safari. Oh I forgot this app also blocks ads made by the content creators inside video itself!

As for YouTube video ad blocker and high resolution enabler for safari I would recommend Vinegar.

Wipr seems decent but I did not use it yet. I might use it if I found out that Hyperweb is getting my data.

1- Hyperweb
2- AdGuard Free
3- Wipr
As Bonus Vinegear to watch videos on safari instead of YouTube app (which might the most privacy worrisome)
Vinegar is awful for YouTube. You can't scrub videos, you can't see a preview of the timeline whilst watching videos, and you can't see chapters.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
but it's a shady app that you need to give permissions to the core of your system.

Why do you say it is "shady"?

browser extensions are said to be dangerous sometimes?

it's not prudent or safe.

I don't use the extension because it is a security risk for any extension to have access to, and be able to read highly sensitive information. I realize a lot of people give such power to extensions but, it's not prudent or safe.

Extensions are unsafe to use.

The risk of dying in a plane crash is 1 in 11 million. If you are using extensions from a well known developer with many good reviews in the app store then the odds may be even less than that you will have an issue.

Apple has increasing locked down their system and applications need access to some of those capabilities to work.

The advantages of using AdGuard in my case far exceed the minuscule odds that it might have a security risk. The same for all of the extensions that I use hundreds of times a day to enter passwords, take notes, automatically disable all cookies on websites, etc. Saves me tons of time. The savings are well worth the almost negligible risk.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
or use another browser that can use something like ublock origin which is open source. you can bet that there would have been an uproar, especially in the open source Linux community, if someone found something even remotely fishy about it.

Reactions: splifingate

Queen6

macrumors G4
As is Adguard open source and trusted by Apple
1688634429559.png
1688634485018.png
AdGuard's view on the Open Source.

What some need to understand is companies are obliged to protect themselves from a legal standpoint. Therefore anything traceable back to the end user is classed as personal data, especially when dealing with high level regulation such as GDPR.

Is far easier for a company to state in their T&C's that they may capture some data while they have no intention of doing so, than the roles be reversed. As defending why they have breached their T&C's can get tricky fast.

Like all in life; one can make informed decisions based on facts or live in a cave in fear...

Q-6

Last edited:

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Question from the crowd: Why not run the PiHole on the Synology? All in one, less stuff required...

I have both; legacy behaviour; one is both are dedicated; cheaper to replace a Pi than a Syno ;)

Last edited:

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Does anyone know how the Ad Guard iOS app works?

I noticed that it works perfectly fine and I think I never had to give any shady permissions, and so I wondered why that's not possible with the Mac version. Basically every thinkable app is blocked on iOS/iPadOS. I never get anything and everything runs super smooth.

VigneshB

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2022
India
Does anyone know how the Ad Guard iOS app works?

I noticed that it works perfectly fine and I think I never had to give any shady permissions, and so I wondered why that's not possible with the Mac version. Basically every thinkable app is blocked on iOS/iPadOS. I never get anything and everything runs super smooth.
It has two main components: DNS based and safari extension.

For DNS protection, if you use Apple's native protocol, it uses DoH or DoT to secure your DNS enquiries to your selected DNS server. If you use Adguard's implementation, it will create a pseudo VPN which will filter all connections and block accordingly from the device locally and then pass it on to your selected DNS server.

For Safari extension part, it works almost exactly like the Safari on Mac extension. One is the content blocking API where it sends the blocked domain lists to Safari and the other one is the advanced protection which is used to block complex CSS using javascripts like as in YouTube ads.

If you're really worried, you can just use the content blocking from Adguard and leave the advanced protection off. Though, different websites are hosting the ads on their domains necessitating the use of advanced blocking methods.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It has two main components: DNS based and safari extension.

For DNS protection, if you use Apple's native protocol, it uses DoH or DoT to secure your DNS enquiries to your selected DNS server. If you use Adguard's implementation, it will create a pseudo VPN which will filter all connections and block accordingly from the device locally and then pass it on to your selected DNS server.

For Safari extension part, it works almost exactly like the Safari on Mac extension. One is the content blocking API where it sends the blocked domain lists to Safari and the other one is the advanced protection which is used to block complex CSS using javascripts like as in YouTube ads.

If you're really worried, you can just use the content blocking from Adguard and leave the advanced protection off. Though, different websites are hosting the ads on their domains necessitating the use of advanced blocking methods.

Thanks! I will install AdGuard on my new Mac and see if I can get the same quality filtering, without enabling https-filtering/filter my entire traffic, this time.

If it works on iOS, it may work on macOS as well.

The problem with that Safari extension is that extensions are said to be unsafe and some sites might hack them. AdGuard has a whole range of apps, I'll have to check out if there's an alternative, that does what the extension for Safari does, but as an app your install on your OS. If I remember, there was such a thing.

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I used have Adblock Plus for years then it just stopped blocking ads on some websites, mostly do popups, I keep getting too many popups. So I been searching around and install Adblock Pro (free version) to test it out. Is Adblock Pro any good or I should use free version of AdGuard? Is AdGuard better?

EDIT: I use Safari. Forgot to mention it.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I used have Adblock Plus for years then it just stopped blocking ads on some websites, mostly do popups, I keep getting too many popups. So I been searching around and install Adblock Pro (free version) to test it out. Is Adblock Pro any good or I should use free version of AdGuard? Is AdGuard better?

for browser? ublock origin i the gold standard. For safari Wipr is doing fine job for me.

for full device, you can change DNS setting on your device (or even router) to

free DNS adblocker by AdGuard:-

or ContrlD

or use mix of both

Queen6

macrumors G4
for browser? ublock origin i the gold standard. For safari Wipr is doing fine job for me.

for full device, you can change DNS setting on your device (or even router) to

free DNS adblocker by AdGuard:-

or ContrlD

or use mix of both
Another safe DNS server

Browsers using AdGuard & Ublock Origin, never see any ad's and all the better for it :cool: Privacy is a right, those that stand against or look to profit are easily defeated...

Q-6

Reactions: MacBH928

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Another safe DNS server

Browsers using AdGuard & Ublock Origin, never see any ad's and all the better for it :cool: Privacy is a right, those that stand against or look to profit are easily defeated...

Q-6

those name servers from OpenDNS do not block ads , the ones I listed do.

If you just concerned about privacy you can use 9.9.9.9 by Quad9

Reactions: Queen6

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Anyone else started gettings ads on YouTube with Wipr (Safari, macOS)? Wipr Extra has always been on and after the latest update through the app Store, some ads start appearing again.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
I dont like Safari, never have so I use Firefox with uBlock Origin which works as more than just an adblocker, its more like a firewall for your browser, and works best on Firefox due to a API that Firefox uses, and I also use Facebook Container from Mozilla so even if I'm not on Facebook Meta cant grab any info about me as it blocks Facebook cookies hiding on webpages, I think uBlock dose the same but Firefox Container it also puts Facebook into a 'container' so it cant leak out and see what your browser is doing elsewhere if you do use Facebook on the web, which I do, I have friend scattered across the world and not all have iPhones oddly enough.

I don't use the Facebook app or messenger or any other social media apps, so when you close that container any Facebook scripts etc get removed from your browser for that session. Those two keep my info as private as I can be online as really there is no way to keep private online, I mean how many here use Amazon? I even put that in a container now. Many people use VPN's that are within the 14 eyes surveillance alliance, and Nord are so big now they are a target for hackers, and I think have been hacked twice. The best way to stay totally private and safe is probably use a virtual machine or dont go online at all.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Anyone else started gettings ads on YouTube with Wipr (Safari, macOS)? Wipr Extra has always been on and after the latest update through the app Store, some ads start appearing again.
Yes, this started six weeks or so ago; I’ve also noted that every fourth video is actually an ad (they’re marked with “Sponsored”, at least for now). I’ve been experimenting with different things and taking notes. EweTube became fabulously wealthy over time, even paying many of their “content creators” a healthy salary (Doug DeMuro’s net worth is now around $18M), but that’s not enough for them anymore. Give Us Your Moneeyyyyy!!! moreMoreMORE!!!

Again, I see a lot more books in my future.

Reactions: Kobayagi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.