Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
So I got myself a new Mac and I want to keep it clean. I had AdGuard installed on my old one, but it's a shady app that you need to give permissions to the core of your system.

But I have to say it was VERY efficient at removing ads. I never saw a single ad. And pages didn't look broken. Everything was super clean and very fast.

I miss it now on my old Mac, but I can't give such a shady app access to the core of my brand new Mac.

All these other solutions with DNS and I don't know what you guys suggested are too complicated for me.

Is there not an app that I can install and that doesn't have access to my personal stuff, but that also removes ads as well as AdGuard does?

And it's not just about filtering ads (it does need to do that perfectly), but especially also not doing potential shady things in the background. Those Adblock apps are often nasty. I think they bring more viruses to your computer than that malware they pretend to block. They ARE the malware, lol. So privacy is a huge thing for me.
The extension is modular, nor are you forced to check the boxes and for me AdGuard still blocks all adds without core access...

Q-6

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
The extension is modular, nor are you forced to check the boxes and for me AdGuard still blocks all adds without core access...

Q-6

I don't have the extension, I had the actual app. Extensions are unsafe to use.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"Extensions are unsafe to use." -- seems like a broad brush to use. Are you suggesting that all extensions of any kind are, somehow, unsafe?
Won't any "security/privacy" type of software be more successful if you give it access to your files?
It seems to me that good results with that type of app, which would often look for threats to you from malware - would likely need permission to look for whatever kind of threats that software needs to watch (I am including unwanted ads under the same "umbrella" as malware)
Also, I don't know anything about what a developer might be thinking - but, I would ask if the app needs to have access to much of your files - so that, when you use the software, whether it would be for blocking ads, or going forward with reporting/removing other known types of threats/malware--then, I would suggest that there always must be an element of trust between you and the developer of that software.
What I am suggesting, is that if you want to use all of the privacy software, then you should expect that software will need permission to be fully enabled. If you don't trust the software, then no software is safe, at least for you

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
"Extensions are unsafe to use." -- seems like a broad brush to use. Are you suggesting that all extensions of any kind are, somehow, unsafe?
Won't any "security/privacy" type of software be more successful if you give it access to your files?
It seems to me that good results with that type of app, which would often look for threats to you from malware - would likely need permission to look for whatever kind of threats that software needs to watch (I am including unwanted ads under the same "umbrella" as malware)
Also, I don't know anything about what a developer might be thinking - but, I would ask if the app needs to have access to much of your files - so that, when you use the software, whether it would be for blocking ads, or going forward with reporting/removing other known types of threats/malware--then, I would suggest that there always must be an element of trust between you and the developer of that software.
What I am suggesting, is that if you want to use all of the privacy software, then you should expect that software will need permission to be fully enabled. If you don't trust the software, then no software is safe, at least for you

The thing is, you're basically protecting you from Party A by exposing yourself to Party B. Your alternative is exposing yourself to Party A to be protected from Party B. In the end it doesn't really change anything, it's not really a safety or privacy solution. You just move the problem to somewhere/someone else.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
So, that's your solution?
Trust nothing?

Well, I don't know these people. So no, I don't really trust them I guess. I have to give them my data basically, which is exactly the opposite I'm trying to achieve.

Surely there could be an easy solution out there, but the market isn't conscious enough and isn't engaged enough in this. So most people don't care and accept it.

But if you presented a product that gave you full privacy, people would chose it over all these other apps that claim to need full access to your stuff in order to protect you.

Reactions: Miat

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sorry-- I don't really know where to go now...

You could ask the developer, maybe they will tell you why they need full access to various kinds of files.
Maybe that would help make you more comfortable with their software.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Sorry-- I don't really know where to go now...

You could ask the developer, maybe they will tell you why they need full access to various kinds of files.
Maybe that would help make you more comfortable with their software.

No, that's not a solution.

I don't remember the entire thread, but that pi-hole thing sounded most promising. The only problem: It's complicated to set up (and to maintain I believe) and it takes up space as well. If you're a newb like me, you're going to run into problems with this solution and you risk messing up things constantly.

And basically you risk taking down your network for everyone else who uses it as well.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Personally, if due to trust, execution, or cost concerns, I come to the conclusion a do-it-yourself method is best for something, I find it to be well worth spending the time and effort to acquire new knowledge and skills. Plus these days, with online sources readily accessible as an adjunct or replacement to traditional sources of information, such as courses, libraries, and bookshops, it is easier than ever to learn how to do something new. At a minimum, one is left better able to assess the suitability and accuracy of advice given by others.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Personally, if due to trust, execution, or cost concerns, I come to the conclusion a do-it-yourself method is best for something, I find it to be well worth spending the time and effort to acquire new knowledge and skills. Plus these days, with online sources readily accessible as an adjunct or replacement to traditional sources of information, such as courses, libraries, and bookshops, it is easier than ever to learn how to do something new. At a minimum, one is left better able to assess the suitability and accuracy of advice given by others.

Totally agree, but the problem with this is: You need to have the time.

Reactions: Miat

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No, that's not a solution.

I don't remember the entire thread, but that pi-hole thing sounded most promising. The only problem: It's complicated to set up (and to maintain I believe) and it takes up space as well. If you're a newb like me, you're going to run into problems with this solution and you risk messing up things constantly.

And basically you risk taking down your network for everyone else who uses it as well.
Pi-Hole works on DNS and that can't block everything, although it blocks a lot.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
If I seek to block advertisements on youtube with my Pi, I would basically block access to youtube.

*which I do not currently desire*

Thus--continuing to enable access to youtube--I am allowing advertisements.

Ahhh, that's annoying! There's no way to block ads on Youtube with pi-hole?! Youtube ads are the most annoying and AdGuard on iOS also only works if you use the browser, not the Youtube app. Most annoying thing ever because that's where it's needed the most.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Ahhh, that's annoying! There's no way to block ads on Youtube with pi-hole?! Youtube ads are the most annoying and AdGuard on iOS also only works if you use the browser, not the Youtube app. Most annoying thing ever because that's where it's needed the most.
SwizzVPN (from the App Store) has built in support for blocking YouTube ads. It works. No account creation needed to use. The developer is an active forum member. One time fee as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 7.46.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 7.46.24 PM.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 36

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
SwizzVPN (from the App Store) has built in support for blocking YouTube ads. It works. No account creation needed to use. The developer is an active forum member. One time fee as well.

Is it one of those apps that needs extensive access to your system and of which you don't know what it does in the background?

The more I think of it, the less I want to install anything non-official on my Mac. I just want to keep it in "default" mode basically. Apps like Word or Excel are okay, Microsoft is a big company. The smaller something is, the less I want it on my computer.

I know, it sounds absurd at first, especially because the small ones did great things and the big ones messed up often (especially Facebook).

But I prefer those solutions at the DNS level. When I have time I'll have to look into it.

Also I have to say: Safari apparently does block quite a lot of trackers. And I don't get too much ads. I've used Ventura since yesterday, and I can think of one site I could see ads on. It's not bad for a default thing. I don't know how much % of the trackers it blocks, though.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
that pi-hole thing sounded most promising. The only problem: It's complicated to set up (and to maintain I believe) and it takes up space as well.

It does require a bit of programmatic comprehension to get things rolling, but it's a far more simple a process than installing bog-standard Windows on bare-metal x64 machinery.

As far as maintenance:

I often go multiple weeks between my updates . . . I last checked my Dashboard about a month ago; and, just now . . . everything is currently 'latest'.

My rPI 4b is sitting-atop my Synology 920+ in my network cabinet, and I rarely know it exists.

The only unfortunate aspect of all this, is that I occasionally have to remove it from Production to use flashrom on the 4b to up sproms, in multiple devices. I really should have purchased multiples back when they were readily-available, and reasonably priced :(

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Is it one of those apps that needs extensive access to your system and of which you don't know what it does in the background?

The more I think of it, the less I want to install anything non-official on my Mac. I just want to keep it in "default" mode basically. Apps like Word or Excel are okay, Microsoft is a big company. The smaller something is, the less I want it on my computer.

I know, it sounds absurd at first, especially because the small ones did great things and the big ones messed up often (especially Facebook).

But I prefer those solutions at the DNS level. When I have time I'll have to look into it.

Also I have to say: Safari apparently does block quite a lot of trackers. And I don't get too much ads. I've used Ventura since yesterday, and I can think of one site I could see ads on. It's not bad for a default thing. I don't know how much % of the trackers it blocks, though.
It is absurd. Your decision making rationale is very warped and incorrect. Why do you even bother making threads? All you do is ask questions and then argue your point against with every reply.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL

I have become well-habituated to the double-tap ads on YT.

keyboard 'mute' is a sublime invention ;)

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
It does require a bit of programmatic comprehension to get things rolling, but it's a far more simple a process than installing bog-standard Windows on bare-metal x64 machinery.

As far as maintenance:

I often go multiple weeks between my updates . . . I last checked my Dashboard about a month ago; and, just now . . . everything is currently 'latest'.

My rPI 4b is sitting-atop my Synology 920+ in my network cabinet, and I rarely know it exists.

The only unfortunate aspect of all this, is that I occasionally have to remove it from Production to use flashrom on the 4b to up sproms, in multiple devices. I really should have purchased multiples back when they were readily-available, and reasonably priced :(

I only understand 50% of what you're saying (e.g. I understood none of what "use flashrom on the 4b to up sproms, in multiple devices" means), so I guess I'm under-qualified. But still interested. For some day.

It is absurd. Your decision making rationale is very warped and incorrect. Why do you even bother making threads? All you do is ask questions and then argue your point against with every reply.

I don't think it is. I mean let's take AdGuard for example. They themselves state that they can use your data if needed/if you agree (and of course you agree when using it). I don't want that.

And what thread anyway? This is the only one I'm arguing in. Which is a good thing by the way, it's the foundation of rationalism. Not arguing means just accepting things and not growing, which is basically like living in North Korea.

If some smart people didn't argue, we would still live in caves. Thanks people from the past for arguing and bringing me electricity and clean water! And to hell with all of those who stood in your way!

I have become well-habituated to the double-tap ads on YT.

keyboard 'mute' is a sublime invention ;)

Haha I mute them as well. I would still just like to let my playlist run without them. And by the way, I wouldn't be surprised if one day you couldn't skip them anymore if your device was muted. Some systems like these have already existed for a while.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I only understand 50% of what you're saying (e.g. I understood none of what "use flashrom on the 4b to up sproms, in multiple devices" means), so I guess I'm under-qualified. But still interested. For some day.

I don't think it is. I mean let's take AdGuard for example. They themselves state that they can use your data if needed/if you agree (and of course you agree when using it). I don't want that.

And what thread anyway? This is the only one I'm arguing in. Which is a good thing by the way, it's the foundation of rationalism. Not arguing means just accepting things and not growing, which is basically like living in North Korea.

If some smart people didn't argue, we would still live in caves. Thanks people from the past for arguing and bringing me electricity and clean water! And to hell with all of those who stood in your way!

Haha I mute them as well. I would still just like to let my playlist run without them. And by the way, I wouldn't be surprised if one day you couldn't skip them anymore if your device was muted. Some systems like these have already existed for a while.
You ask questions, which is fine. People in the thread answer and then without even researching to get clarification of facts, you immediately start being dismissive of said suggestion(s) based on your fear of what if.

Saying you feel safer with a big company versus a small company / developer is not really logical, although you are entitled to feel however you want.

99 % of the apps I have installed are from the App Store. I have researched apps before I installed and made sure I understood what the purpose and function of the app was and I also verified using other means at my disposal. I don't blindly install anything that is an open security risk. Always mitigate exposure and possible damage.

Blocking apps can be used without having to give full access to said app(s). No matter what you use, it isn't going to be 100%. The point is to inform yourself, make an educated decision, and then validate through usage. If something appears amiss, ask the forums for guidance. That is what we are all here for day after day.

Do you honestly believe veteran forum members are going to purposely give you bad advice that would knowingly put you at risk?

Queen6

macrumors G4
1688603886500.png

Never a single issue and no ads...

Adguard's T&C's are very clear just need to visit their web site. The app & extension same as all other installed blockers require access to function, not spy. Too much over thinking, more chance your ISP is intercepting your data without encryption...

Logically if such companies or developers were to abuse their position it would be financial suicide, if not outright illegal in many territories.

Q-6

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Do you honestly believe veteran forum members are going to purposely give you bad advice that would knowingly put you at risk?

While I wouldn‘t choose @Silly John Fatty’s approach for myself, I do agree with their skepticism towards advice given by anonymous people online, regardless of how many posts somebody has made. After all, if something does go wrong, there is no recourse or accountability for inappropriate or incorrect advice. For me, the bottom line for guidance both here and on the other Apple troubleshooting sites I follow is ”let the end user beware”.

Reactions: splifingate

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
While I wouldn‘t choose @Silly John Fatty’s approach for myself, I do agree with their skepticism towards advice given by anonymous people online, regardless of how many posts somebody has made. After all, if something does go wrong, there is no recourse or accountability for inappropriate or incorrect advice. For me, the bottom line for guidance both here and on the other Apple troubleshooting sites I follow is ”let the end user beware”.
Nothing wrong with questioning but, to dismiss without the things I spoke of, I believe is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.