Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I bet LG has local warranty service there, like also here in Finland.
True, but I'd rather just return it to Amazon if there was an issue. So much easier. No questions asked return. Anyway, I don't want to spend as much as I did on my Mac mini on a monitor. That's ridiculous.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
You are still in EU, so just order from amazon.de.

I refuse to order stuff from abroad due to returns, especially with such expensive electronics. Wayyyy too risky.

I bet LG has local warranty service there, like also here in Finland.

You have no idea how funny it sounds for someone living in North America to see someone in Europe talk about ordering from elsewhere in Europe as “abroad” :)

As for LG’s warranty service, perhaps worth noting that the industry norm is three years and that LG, unless you purchase one of the two monitors that it makes for Apple, apparently provides one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dezlboy

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
You have no idea how funny it sounds for someone living in North America to see someone in Europe talk about ordering from elsewhere in Europe as “abroad” :)
I could make a bet again, but try to imagine, how nice it is to be a mac user, when there’s no apple store in your country.
Or talk about these things in a forum, not using your mother tong... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ploki

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
True, but I'd rather just return it to Amazon if there was an issue. So much easier. No questions asked return. Anyway, I don't want to spend as much as I did on my Mac mini on a monitor. That's ridiculous.
Yeah, tell me about it!
This mini thing has gotten out of hands of Apple and many of us.
But I’ve waited for 6 years for new mini. Accessories cost more than the machine and make the set everything but not mini.
Egpu-box+card, owc ram, external ssd for home dir, another external for things that don’t fit to system ssd. Internal ssd is left for scratch.
I’ve had 2TB internal fusion drive in my old mini, so this is a real stepdown to complexity, but I don’t plan to move these things and there’s riim in old macpro’s cabin...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
i had to get my ultrafine 4K from germany, which is about a 500km drive from here, and to do any warranty i have to get it back to germany since its not officially distributed to here.

europe is... funny/

Reactions: toke lahti

ADGrant

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2018
I'm looking for a decently-priced 24-inch monitor with sharp text and have been considering the Dell P2415Q. It's 4K and goes for about $350. The reviews are good given the price and Dells monitors are generally reliable.

One concern I have is with scaling--things look awfully small on a 4K 24-inch display. I assume you can use scaled resolution in macOS preferences to fix this, but it's something that need to be confirmed.

I use this monitor in HiDPI aka 'Retina' mode. Looks great and the price is very reasonable compared to the LG options. Currently using it with a 2014 15" rMBP but plan to upgrade to a Mini at some point.

samadams12pack

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2015
So after reading all the comments in this thread, I still have no idea what monitor to get. :p So these are the specs for the Mac Mini I plan to purchase (I'm pretty set on these):
  • 3.0GHz 6-core 8th generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
  • 2TB SSD Storage
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
So on this Mac Mini I plan on using it to edit videos in Final Cut Pro X, create YouTube thumbnails in Adobe Photoshop, and using word processing softwares such as Office Home & Student 2019, Final Draft 11, and Scrivener. I am looking to edit and create content in 4K on an IPS panel and I would like it to be curved since, IMO, it would fit the aesthetic of my IKEA LINNMON/ADILS corner desk well. What do you all think would be the best buy for what I want to accomplish?

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
LG ultrawide 5K maybe

People should check the warranty on any LG that they are considering. As far as I know, only the monitors made for Apple come with a 3-year warranty. The rest appear to be 1-year. For me, that's an automatic disqualification. Eizo provides 5 years, and LG's competitors provide 3 years.

Just theoretical? The guy in this January 30th video describes how his expensive LG monitor died just over a year after he purchased it, at which point he discovered that he had no recourse:

Last edited:

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
So after reading all the comments in this thread, I still have no idea what monitor to get. :p So these are the specs for the Mac Mini I plan to purchase (I'm pretty set on these):
  • 3.0GHz 6-core 8th generation Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz)
  • 2TB SSD Storage
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4
So on this Mac Mini I plan on using it to edit videos in Final Cut Pro X, create YouTube thumbnails in Adobe Photoshop, and using word processing softwares such as Office Home & Student 2019, Final Draft 11, and Scrivener. I am looking to edit and create content in 4K on an IPS panel and I would like it to be curved since, IMO, it would fit the aesthetic of my IKEA LINNMON/ADILS corner desk well. What do you all think would be the best buy for what I want to accomplish?

Tell me about it. I’d like one for my MBP and a Windows PC. There are many factors to consider and the screen on the MB sets very high standards. To get anything like that, you have to go high resolution and then that has a negative impact on Windows gaming performance. And so on.

I’ve seen the LG 5K in the Apple store. It looks ok but even with a discount, £1100 seems like a big rip off when you can buy a really decent large OLED TV for that.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
People should check the warranty on any LG that they are considering. As far as I know, only the monitors made for Apple come with a 3-year warranty. The rest appear to be 1-year. For me, that's an automatic disqualification. Eizo provides 5 years, and LG's competitors provide 3 years.

Just theoretical? The guy in this January 30th video describes how his expensive LG monitor died just over a year after he purchased it, at which point he discovered that he had no recourse:

ugh. that's pretty terrible

at least in europe you're covered for 2 years under consumer laws, and so far LG is the only manufacturer making a small sized 4K screen

Reactions: F-Train

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
LG is the only manufacturer making a small sized 4K screen

Eizo makes this 24" 4K monitor, although it will burn a major hole in your pocket :)

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 18.23.22.png

[doublepost=1550014458][/doublepost]Also, Dell makes a 24":

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 18.33.56.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ploki

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
yeah I know that one. :D
I'd love an Eizo, but i have neither need nor budget for it. Will have to upgrade audio interface and subwoofers soon.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
yeah I know that one. :D
I'd love an Eizo, but i have neither need nor budget for it. Will have to upgrade audio interface and subwoofers soon.

Have a look at the Sound Devices MixPre recorders/interfaces. I got a MixPre-3 for recording, but it turns out to also be a good interface. I'm really happy with it. There are also versions in the series that are specifically tailored to music production.

Sound Devices is not on the radar for most musicians because it made its reputation in the film industry and its recorders and mixers have been extremely expensive. The MixPre series really does bring Sound Devices quality at a much lower price, and the company is actively courting the music community. I've been using Sound Devices gear for years, and it is a first rate company, including on service/support.

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 18.43.38.png

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Yeah, I'm trying to steer clear of the Eizo monitors. They look great, just out of my price range. :p How about this monitor?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Screen-...t=&hvlocphy=9017943&hvtargid=pla-570612944153

OK, I read your post (#657) and here's what I think...

You want to make YouTube videos.
This monitor does not provide YouTube's aspect ratio, which is 16:9.
Purchasing a curved monitor because it will "fit the aesthetic of my IKEA LINNMON/ADILS corner desk" is unquestionably the stupidest reason for purchasing a monitor that I have ever seen :)
Maybe purchase one that will make it easier to make YouTube videos? Which is not this one.

Sorry, just giving you the gears.

Cheers

samadams12pack

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2015
OK, I read your post (#657) and here's what I think...

You want to make YouTube videos.
This monitor does not provide YouTube's aspect ratio, which is 16:9.
Purchasing a curved monitor because it will "fit the aesthetic of my IKEA LINNMON/ADILS corner desk" is unquestionably the stupidest reason for purchasing a monitor that I have ever seen :)
Maybe purchase one that will make it easier to make YouTube videos? Which is not this one.

Sorry, just giving you the gears.

Cheers

Well, it wasn't an absolute requirement. Sorry, sometimes I put aesthetics before functionality which is more important. lol So 16:9 monitor you said? Would this be a better choice? I saw someone mention this monitor at the very beginning of this thread. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Ultrasharp-UP3216Q-Monitor-3840/dp/B016IBVKNU

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Well, it wasn't an absolute requirement. Sorry, sometimes I put aesthetics before functionality which is more important. lol So 16:9 monitor you said? Would this be a better choice? I saw someone mention this monitor at the very beginning of this thread. https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Ultrasharp-UP3216Q-Monitor-3840/dp/B016IBVKNU

That monitor is in a completely different league. It I also not curved.

If you don't need Adobe RGB* as a colour space, which you probably don't, it is also a waste of money.

If your heart is set on a curved monitor, and given your apparent desire for a big monitor, there is a Samsung monitor that a lot of people apparently like. I don't recall the model number, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

If you want to concentrate on colour reproduction and don't care about curved, there are a lot of other options, as well as various sizes.

* Note that I say Adobe RGB, not Adobe sRGB. They are not the same thing, and you do need the latter. You only need Adobe RGB if you are a serious photographer who wants to make prints of photographs, not just upload them to the web.

Last edited:

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Have a look at the Sound Devices MixPre recorders/interfaces. I got a MixPre-3 for recording, but it turns out to also be a good interface. I'm really happy with it. There are also versions in the series that are specifically tailored to music production.

Sound Devices is not on the radar for most musicians because it made its reputation in the film industry and its recorders and mixers have been extremely expensive. The MixPre series really does bring Sound Devices quality at a much lower price, and the company is actively courting the music community. I've been using Sound Devices gear for years, and it is a first rate company, including on service/support.

Nah, I'm an RME guy. I know sound devices since i also do some film post on the side, but i need one for the studio which will have 3 rooms connected via optical + a direct multi core to a 4th room :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
F-Train wrote:
"The guy in this January 30th video describes how his expensive LG monitor died just over a year after he purchased it, at which point he discovered that he had no recourse:"

Similar experience here with LG.
I bought an LG tv that worked great... until it failed at less than two years old.

Took it to a tv repair shop, they tried to get parts, and couldn't (or wouldn't).
It sat there for a few months.

After that, I bought a new Samsung.
I'll never buy an LG product again...

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
F-Train wrote:
"The guy in this January 30th video describes how his expensive LG monitor died just over a year after he purchased it, at which point he discovered that he had no recourse:"

I bought an LG tv that worked great... until it failed at less than two years old.

Took it to a tv repair shop, they tried to get parts, and couldn't (or wouldn't).

Failure rates for virtually all brands of TVs are increasing. Buy the sucker, get the cheap warranty from CostCo, and flip the thing on CL or Offerup before it expires and upgrade to something new. Kind of the same process I'd undertake if buying an iMac.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
F-Train wrote:

Amen. People aren't looking enough at warranties and where warranty service centres are.

There is one person on here, a professional photographer, who at least saw the issue. He said that he purchased an LG monitor and addressed this issue by purchasing a so-called "extended warranty".

Screw that. The fact is, LG won't warrant its monitors to industry standards, and that video is an object lesson in the potential consequences. Personally, I have zero interest in paying some third party consumer insurance company, that I know nothing about, to allegedly do what LG should, but won't, do in the first place.

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have a Samsung 40” 4k monitor quality(ish) for my mini - I think it’s 2 now. And we have a 48” or so Samsung TV and it is about 3 or 4. We love both. My hubby has the Dell u2718q and he likes it. A bit too “matt” for him as he has had the shiny screened imacs for the past 10+ years. The dell is thru his workplace and they like dells for longevity and warranty issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.