Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justmadeupname

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2022
That really rules out that unknown brand completely. You’d be risking basically the full amount paid
Yes correct, well summarised 👍. So for me it's:

£1083 (unknown brand, unsure delivery times)

vs

£1269
refurbished ASD (known brand, faster delivery)

So Like I wrote earlier:
For me still not worth the risk for that price

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I'm considering the Apple Studio Display but I'm curious about other glossy "retina" monitors.

An iMac M3 would suffice for me if the built in speakers were better. Less desk clutter is important to me.

AppleCare+ is important as well, so is "ease" of any eventual repairs as well as speed of delivery to the UK.

Budget was £1000 though I can stretch to £1269 refurbished Apple Studio Display in UK as it includes speakers & webcam

So thinking more, the Kuycon 27" seems less and less appealing to me although great price in the USA/Canada for example.
If you can stomach the price of the ASD I strongly recommend it given your comments about clutter, speakers, webcam, etc. You won't be disappointed.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You guys who have two monitors next to each other? Doesn't the bezel line down the middle put you off? I've never used a two monitor setup. Some of you must have the main screen in the middle right in front of you and the other off to the side maybe as well?
Main ASD is centered. Second ASD is rotated 90° into portrait and is off slightly to the left. Bezels aren’t a problem.

My two ASDs are both VESA models.

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Text is very, very sharp on the 55" 8k Samsung QN700B. Yes, it is a TV. But it's the size of four 27" 4k displays, and offers more pixels than two 5k displays, with no bezels dividing them up, all for a very economical price. (I paid $999 at BestBuy.) If your Mac supports 8k, I recommend it!

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Why are you going all out on a display that you admittedly only need to read text on? People have been reading text on computers just fine back when it was 1024x768 resolution.

Go 1440p and save some money. Pretty much all the major brands will have really good quality displays (color spaces, responsive times, etc.) at that resolution for 200 bucks. Text will be completely legible. If you want top of the line, then go for it, but I think you’re over thinking this.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Why are you going all out on a display that you admittedly only need to read text on? People have been reading text on computers just fine back when it was 1024x768 resolution.

Go 1440p and save some money. Pretty much all the major brands will have really good quality displays (color spaces, responsive times, etc.) at that resolution for 200 bucks. Text will be completely legible. If you want top of the line, then go for it, but I think you’re over thinking this.
Agreed 100%. I just wrote an answer to another thread here when someone asked about why so few choices in monitors etc. basically recommending a $300 15.6” portable 4K, 600 nits, 1500:1 etc., perfect for text and word processing, web surfing, especially in portrait mode.

Obviously, you’re not going to be doing video editing on this, but the OP said specifically “text”, so that’s where the emphasis should be, no?

HighTime

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014

What size monitor would 1440p be at? So I would have no issue with all that scaling madness? It really would be nice to just not spend all this dough on a monitor when the Studio is already expensive.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
What size monitor would 1440p be at? So I would have no issue with all that scaling madness? It really would be nice to just not spend all this dough on a monitor when the Studio is already expensive.
Just get yourself a 27” or 32” 4K and you’ll be fine. Seriously. Run it at “looks like 2560x1440” or the next one up (in the case of the 32” display) and you’ll be satisfied without laying out $1500.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
I'm a big fan of 32" 4k and run it at full native 3840x2160 resolution with my face typically 24"-30" from the screen. Menu items are still readable at that resolution. In text heavy apps, I bump up the zoom a notch or bump the default font size up a couple point to make it easier to read when I'm leaning back in my chair.

I use the LG 32UL500-W. It's pretty much LG's lowest end 32" 4k panel, but fit my budget when I got it last year. With a little higher budget, I would have opted for a model with 400 nits or more in brightness (I run mine at max brightness all of the time) and an IPS panel rather than the VA panel mine has. The IPS panels have a little better viewing angles. At my viewing distance, I can notice some slight color shifts in the periphery of my visual field.

Text looks great on my display! Running it at 3008x1692 scaled resolution will make all UI elements the same size as the default on a 27" iMac, and text looks nice at this resolution as well without need to modify scaling and font sizes. When I share my screen in remote meetings, I'll drop to looks like 2560x1440. Things look okay, but it is as low as I would choose to go. The pixel doubled looks like 1920x1080 that some YouTubers would like you to believe is the only acceptable resolution fora 4k panel looks pretty bad at my normal viewing distance.

I use my LG with my Mac mini at work and often have my MBP nearby as well. I bounce back and forth between them and the difference in resolution doesn't bother me like it did when I used older lower resolution second monitors (including and old 2013 non-retina iMac). Ever since Apple gave up on sub-pixel antialiasing, 110 pixels per inch displays no longer render text as nicely.

The only time text looks bad is when you put the monitor in a mode that favors sharpness over other image properties, typically the gaming modes. In those modes, it effectively kills off the shaded pixels that are used to help your brain recognize the curvature of text, and text will look awful. If rtings.com has a writeup on the monitor you get, follow their settings, and you should be very happy.

Try a 27" or 32" 4k monitor. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised and your wallet will be happier as well.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
M2 Max in a few weeks time. All I really use is Word, Scrivener and sometimes InDesign for basic stuff.
Not to be pushy... as you did not ask... but an M2 Max really seems like overkill for doing text stuff in Word and Scrivener.

A Mac Mini is fine for that kind of stuff. Save you a lot of money over an M2 Max (Studio or MacBook Pro). And with the money you save on the computer you can buy a better monitor.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Why are you going all out on a display that you admittedly only need to read text on?
If one is reading text on a monitor 8 hours a day, I will argue that this is a use that calls for a very high quality monitor.

Contra watching videos, which do fine at less quality displays.

So if someone is using Word and Scrivener all day long, I say splurge on the monitor and save money on the CPU box.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
If one is reading text on a monitor 8 hours a day, I will argue that this is a use that calls for a very high quality monitor.

So if someone is using Word and Scrivener all day long, I say splurge on the monitor and save money on the CPU box.
Seems like solid advice. I'd rather spend on the monitor as well.

Reactions: picpicmac

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona

I agree. The actual interface to any computer is the display, keyboard and mouse (or trackpad). These are not things I like to sacrifice quality or power to save a few bucks on. In this case, I think the OP should just get a MacMini and splurge on the display. But hey, it's not my money (which may or may not even be a consideration).

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
get a MacMini and splurge on the display.
That's my current plan, so I'm going to put my money where my mouth typing is.

Priced out a Mini w/16GB RAM (I'll just add external SSDs for storage) + ASD (VESA mount version). There are some desktop VESA stands that look like they'll work for me, at around $100. All together it will not be inexpensive but if I can make it last for 10 years then it'll all be worth it.

My older eyes will really be helped by the Retina display. And I'll still likely run the UI at 200% zoom (maybe a little less, I'll see if 150% will work for me.)

I spend 40-100 hours a week staring at a computer monitor. So spending my $$$ there is really a no-brainer.

Reactions: colodane

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona

Priced out a Mini w/16GB RAM (I'll just add external SSDs for storage) + ASD (VESA mount version). There are some desktop VESA stands that look like they'll work for me, at around $100. All together it will not be inexpensive but if I can make it last for 10 years then it'll all be worth it.

My older eyes will really be helped by the Retina display. And I'll still likely run the UI at 200% zoom (maybe a little less, I'll see if 150% will work for me.)

I spend 40-100 hours a week staring at a computer monitor. So spending my $$$ there is really a no-brainer.
I'm not sure what kind of desktop VESA stand you're looking for, but a simple height-adjustable desktop stand should cost less than $50. I have this one. If you need one with an arm for much more flexible adjustments, the cost will be higher obviously. I have a bamboo wood top desk and didn't want a clamp model (which most VESA arms are).

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014

Enjoy the ASD!

Look hard at an Ergotron LX arm. They seem to be the standard that all arm are compared to.

There are some rebadged models where the Ergotron logo on the base gets swapped out for someone else’s along with a slightly different paint finish. I opted for an HP BT861at. The HPs are new old stock that seem to have been warehoused for a period of time, but are now being sold off. They can be found for $80-$100. Amazon Basics has one as well and that would likely be a current production model, but has a bit higher price.

Cavor

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
Hope you all had a Happy New Year. As per title of post - re text, any aliasing or blurry bits around text irritates me. Although I do not write etc for a living, I do read a lot. I was balking at the Studio Display price and was looking for a cheaper option. Having read the many posts here about 4k vs 5k, glossy vs matte etc. I eventually stumbled on the monitor MSI MD271UL (4K) as per my first post the other day

I can say that this is not a high end fast speed gaming monitor (neither is the ASD). As far as text goes next to my 2014 27" 5K iMac it's replacing with the Studio Max I cannot tell any difference with text (connected via HDMI). I even looked with the iPhone magnifier to see the pixels and how letters were displayed slight difference (of course) but does not effect normal vision. It has anti-glare finish so not glossy.

I sit 22" away and use 1440. I get why some might see the icons as small at this res. So I just tried 1080 (the default). Everything was bigger but text was clear. I even command + this web page to the max - all good. Maybe I'm not that fussy. The down side to this monitor re camera and speakers (vs ASD) was not an issue to me - iPhone continuity camera, already had my ancient Harmon Kardons for speakers.

Re brightness I didn't mention in other post. It's officially 300 nits. Some see this is as low which I get if you are in a bright environment. My study has two windows to the side and back with wooden Venetian blinds always closed. It's light enough though to keep my Logitech K760 keyboard solar powered up all except the a few of the short cloudy days in winter. I have the monitor brightness on zero and I find the white pages a bit bright compared to the iMac.

I chose this because a) text was fine (for me and tested in shop before purchase on a MacBook) and b) it was 1/5th ASD (in Australia) I don't play a lot of games, So I figured I could try it out and if not good I could re sell and get the ASD. Hope that helps.

I guess I could take some comparison pics if people are really interested.

Last edited:

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Enjoy the ASD!

Look hard at an Ergotron LX arm.
I don't have it yet! Will wait until after paying taxes and any announced Mini M3 comes to fruition.

I need a mount that can pan but I also need a table top arm, not a clamp. Ergotron sells an interesting device that was sold long ago under other brand names, and I wonder if that will work. The Ergotron website says it is compatible with the ASD, though the display will not be rotatable to portrait.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Thanks. The white version of that was already on my list, but I wonder how well it actually works. Was yours delivered in good shape?
It was actually packaged quite well. At that price I was expecting it thrown in a paper bag – but it's bubble wrapped and packed with foam tightly in the box.

As far as how it works, there's not a whole lot to these things. The stand I got was rated for a 27-32" display, but I have my 34" display on it and it's perfect. The larger stand doesn't work for me because the minimum height is too high and the larger "foot" was undesirable.

It is Amazon, so returning it if it doesn't work for you (as I did with the larger model) is simple.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos

Yes, but if the poster has poor eyes then a BIG screen with sharp text is what is needed. I bought a 4k TV for my Mac mini - brilliant. When there's an affordable 50in 8k TV, then I'll upgrade (and the MacMini also). There is always one drawback - on setup the text appears incredibly small - so just sit nearer for 5 mins or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.